The Gallery

Sky News - V2 (Updated Pg2)

A new(er) way to look at things... (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
newmocker
I posted version 1 of these designs a few weeks ago. I've taken all the comments on board, made lots of tweaks and developed some of the ideas further. Thoughts on this version appreciated! Images first then i've explained the thought process behind the design below that for those interested!

If you're moving from a ticker to sidebar, there has to be a reason. Personally, the great thing about this design is that it's far more flexible and able to show whatever it needs to including images/live streams etc, something the ticker cannot.

For the headlines at the TOTH, instead of the presenter being out of vision reading the top stories with images/clips on the screen, the presenter would remain in vision with the side bar being used to display the headline and an image or clip related to that story.

For the rest of the hour (after the TOTH, the side bar could slide out, camera shows studio swoop/voiceover, before this side bar slides in). The top quarter shows the logo, with time and date. The middle two quarters replace the ticker. There are a list of 'headlines' and it'll go down the list one by one expanding the story and giving a brief summary, like we're used to seeing on the ticker. Benefit of this is that just by glancing at the side bar you can see a summary of all the days headlines just from the titles.
The bottom quarter can be used for whatever. Stocks, weather, coming up, contact details, twitter feeds, live pictures, etc etc.

When is comes to breaking news, the side bar really comes into it's own. The simplest option is to replace one of the 'grey' headlines with a 'yellow headline' indicating the story is breaking. The story will expand in turn, but the rest of the time remain closed.
A second option is to keep the story details open at the top. This would be particularly useful if there is a press conference related to this story that the viewers should know about.
The final option, probably only for huge stories that views need to know as soon as they turn the channel on, is to dedicate the side bar to that story with statements, facts, images, live steams etc.

For split screens, whoever isn't talking can be minimised into the sidebar.

Smile
Last edited by newmocker on 3 March 2016 2:00am - 2 times in total
TC
TorontoCommons
Hello? Why was this faded? Can anyone explain how this is a bad or low quality mock besides the fact it's outside the safe areas ?
NE
newmocker
Hello? Why was this faded? Can anyone explain how this is a bad or low quality mock besides the fact it's outside the safe areas ?

All important stuff is within the safe areas. The things like images next to the story, Sky news logo, stocks ARE outside the safe area but that's because they aren't critical graphics for those that wont be able to see them.
JD
JDN
Love these. Although I would drop the yellow and make the lowerthirds more detailed with a gradient or make them glossy. It would make them look more finished.
BR
Brekkie
Really like how this is developing though it kind of lends itself more to an optional interactive service where the sidebar can be called up and viewers navigate to the stories they want.
DB
dbl

All important stuff is within the safe areas. The things like images next to the story, Sky news logo, stocks ARE outside the safe area but that's because they aren't critical graphics for those that wont be able to see them.

I think you've missed the point. Sky News logo is a crucial element to the design, that needs to be within the title safe area. Some flat screens will cut off as much as 10% when watching in a Standard Definition.

It looks messy and unreadable, when you factor in overscan.

Worst case:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ewpchw.jpg
Last edited by dbl on 27 February 2016 9:25pm
TC
TorontoCommons
dbl posted:
Some flat screens will cut off as much as 10% when watching in a Standard Definition.

Channels shouldn't be modifying their on-screen look to please a small amount of viewers who watch them on an outdated television format. Secondly, the font is highly legible on both formats. If anyone is watching them on a SD set, upgrade . Channels stopped pandering to SD viewers years ago and they don't care about viewers who watches them on said format.

Either that or just letterbox the channel. Wink
orange and newmocker gave kudos
DB
dbl
dbl posted:
Some flat screens will cut off as much as 10% when watching in a Standard Definition.

Channels shouldn't be modifying their on-screen look to please a small amount of viewers who watch them on an outdated television format. Secondly, the font is highly legible on both formats. If anyone is watching them on a SD set, upgrade . Channels stopped pandering to SD viewers years ago and they don't care about viewers who watches them on said format.

I wasn't referring to 4:3 safe, but rather 16:9 safe. Believe me, I've had to adjust channel bugs at work so it would be decent on-screen. Plus there still a decent amount of people here in the UK, who watch Sky News in 16:9 SD.
NE
newmocker
While I've tried my best to make sure everything is within the safe areas, I know it's not perfect.

But it's not going to be perfect. I'm a 22 year old student who just enjoys doing this in his spare time. It's not going to end up on screen, it's just an idea I had and I've played around with it.

So while safe areas are important and I've tried my best to adhere to them, I can't help but feel this is more about the concept.
VM
VMPhil
dbl posted:

SD viewers still outrate HD viewers by quite a lot, especially with Sky News as its only in SD on Freeview

Most TV sets still ship with overscan turned on so it'll still be cut off even when watching Sky News HD on a 40" HD TV.
DB
dbl

So while safe areas are important and I've tried my best to adhere to them, I can't help but feel this is more about the concept.

And thats cool, I wasn't rubbishing the concept, just being realistic to how that concept would look.
UB
UBox
You may be able to make them 16:9 safe vertically; remove the contact information. If it was needed, it could easily go over the weather and stocks information. That should make some space at the top and bottom if you Centre everything vertically.

I've still got to say though, I really like this concept. It's different and I can see its selling points.

Newer posts