« Topics
AlexEdohHD13680 posts since 25 Jul 2014
London London
Popcorn was a film related portal and Jamba was some form of gaming site, and early runner to the Foxy Bingo-type sites we have now.

Oh. Then, how come Carlton were allowed to get away with it and Granada were not?
This is Carlton Television - Part of the ITV Network. Now at 11 O'Clock, Time for the ITV Nightly News from ITN.
London London
Carlton.com wasn't exactly much different. It was a commercial portal made up of other businesses in the Carlton group such as Popcorn.co.uk and Jamba.

I think they were even criticised after rebranding and at some point had to change the url to www.carlton.com/tv which pointed to something more relevant to its ITV activities. (That's from memory... I may be wrong!)

You're probably right as the same happened to Granada with their G-Wizz Promotion on idents.
In 2001, the whole charade ended in November 2001, when all ITV regions adopted the ITV.com URL (not all at the same time, I should add). Oh, and by the way, Carlton changed their URL on 27th November 2000.
This is Carlton Television - Part of the ITV Network. Now at 11 O'Clock, Time for the ITV Nightly News from ITN.
London London
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? I think this GMG endcap style:
http://www.oktane.co.uk/SCREEN_FOLIO_PDFS/OKTANE__GRANADA_MEDIA_CAPTIONS.pdf
was foreshadowed by this collection of Yorkshire Television Idents - The background:

and Tyne Tees had a similar promo endboard at one time...
Last edited by AlexEdohHD13 on 7 July 2016 2:05am - 2 times in total
London London
The GMG hearts idents would probably have looked far better had the endboards used these backgrounds rather than the spinning hearts.

You mean, ITV Hearts idents, surely, it was not just GMG who used those idents. Anyway, The ITV Brand is a national brand. Did you expect ITV to use the 'ITV' Logo during the purple promo endboards (GMG-Style). Not a bad Idea really.
Nicky (previously BBCNicky) 2,909 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The GMG hearts idents would probably have looked far better had the endboards used these backgrounds rather than the spinning hearts.

You mean, ITV Hearts idents, surely, it was not just GMG who used those idents. Anyway, The ITV Brand is a national brand. Did you expect ITV to use the 'ITV' Logo during the purple promo endboards (GMG-Style). Not a bad Idea really.

I suspect he means the ITV Hearts idents used in the GMG regions.
London London

I suspect he means the ITV Hearts idents used in the GMG regions.

If the ITV Logo was used in the GMG Style endboards, It would look like this:
Whataday9,967 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
I think HTV had the right idea, just taking the generic trailers and adding their logo over the top of the ITV bug in the top left of the screen. At least all trailers (national/local) were consistent.

The yellow HTV ident was created to match ITV's colour scheme, until the heart idents were introduced fully and then they adapted their logo:

Whenever an ITV logo featured during a promo, HTV would cover it up apart from the one shown at the end.
buster1,762 posts since 15 Mar 2006
London London
I remember reading at the time the "big" ITV logo at the end (which I think was introduced with the 1999 refresh) was to deter the regional companies from covering it up, as HTV were doing.
Last edited by buster on 26 February 2016 1:52pm
London London
I remember reading at the time the "big" ITV logo at the end (which I think was introduced with the 1999 refresh) was to deter the regional companies from covering it up, as HTV were doing.

It was actually introduced in September 1999.