TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think they keep it to just one minute to avoid screen burn issues.
RE
remlap
Last edited by remlap on 23 February 2016 5:04pm
TO
tomo359
What's with the grey sliding bar and clicking? Old test cards didn't do that did they?
IT
IndigoTucker
It's to show there isn't a problem with the digital stream, and a continuous video is being recieved. If there was a fault or bad transmission, with digital you wouldn't necessarily know.
Last edited by IndigoTucker on 23 February 2016 5:24pm
DO
dosxuk
It's to show there isn't a problem with the digital stream, and a continuous video is being recieved. If there was a fault or bad transmission, with digital you wouldn't necessarily know.

While that is a side benefit, it's actually there to allow people to ensure their video and audio are in sync. The click should be at the same time the bar crosses the middle. When it isn't, the number on the scale is the number of ms that you need to adjust by to get them in sync.

Used to be a separate item to the testcard in the BBC HD barker reel, they've just combined them.
MA
Markymark
I think they keep it to just one minute to avoid screen burn issues.

Doesn't seem to worry them that BBC News Channel graphics, (and the multitude of other stuff on all channels) could do that ?
MA
Markymark

While that is a side benefit, it's actually there to allow people to ensure their video and audio are in sync. The click should be at the same time the bar crosses the middle. When it isn't, the number on the scale is the number of ms that you need to adjust by to get them in sync.

Used to be a separate item to the testcard in the BBC HD barker reel, they've just combined them.

Yes, here's the original from those days:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCPEidaVzQU
MA
Markymark
Apparently, BBC Two's overnight 'This is BBC Two' filler has been updated. It's supposedly one hour long and ends with one minute of the testcard. I've not seen it myself but I'm told it's Testcard F, which seems a bit odd.

It's W (the 16:9 remastered version of F). However, with an added audio delay 'bar'. Coo !

Is it W or the HD version?

Thought W was the 720x576 SD 16:9 testcard with the additional reverse arrow pointers in the 9 samples outside the 16:9 active area? (You shouldn't see those on a 16:9 display, nor should they be present on an up conversion to 1080i or 720p)

You're quite right I think

http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/Test-Cards/Test-Card-Technical.html#TCJ-W

8 days later

TV
TVMan
BBC two just aired an original ident with the old BBC logo before the 90's edition of Back in time for the weekend
JA
JAS84
Yeah, this one.
http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/bbctwo/images_idents/1991/bbc2_neons_id_1991_a.jpg
BA
bilky asko

It appears in this case it's actually the number of frames you need to adjust, meaning that the video posted is actually 12 frames out of sync.
SP
Spencer
TVMan posted:
BBC two just aired an original ident with the old BBC logo before the 90's edition of Back in time for the weekend

They seem to have been doing this through the programme's run. I caught the blue and white stripey ident for the 70s edition.

Newer posts