TV Home Forum

UKTV to launch new channel W

Flagship channel will replace Watch (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
The fact the only show we're talking about is the EastEnders repeats doesn't look too promising for the revamp either.

Perhaps that might have something to do with the fact TV Forum is dominated by blokes, and this is a channel aiming at females? When TLC launched, pres aside, there was little discussion. Same for Lifetime.

I really wouldn't read in to that.

... not that I believe it'll be a huge success

Your on the track, your point cover not just the females channels but a few of the other channels aswell.
IN
Interceptor
The fact the only show we're talking about is the EastEnders repeats doesn't look too promising for the revamp either.

Perhaps that might have something to do with the fact TV Forum is dominated by blokes, and this is a channel aiming at females? When TLC launched, pres aside, there was little discussion. Same for Lifetime.

Your on the track, your point cover not just the females channels but a few of the other channels aswell.

I have no idea what you're on about.
:-(
A former member

I have no idea what you're on about.

I was agreeing with you, in saying about how some of these channels get little or next to no discussions, I then expanded to say it seems to cover a few other channels aswell.
BR
Brekkie
The biggest problem is has is as soon as a channel says it's especially for a certain demographic, whether it be men, women or children, that demographic is resistant to actually watching it - it just comes across as patronising.
BA
bilky asko
The biggest problem is has is as soon as a channel says it's especially for a certain demographic, whether it be men, women or children, that demographic is resistant to actually watching it - it just comes across as patronising.

Is that what UKTV have said in advertising W generally?
LL
London Lite Founding member

From UKTV's press release about W.

Quote:
UKTV controller Emma Tennant, said,

"UKTV is known for peerlessly strong channel brands, which guide audiences to shows that are perfect for them. W will be no different, a premium channel for smart women and men seeking high-quality escapism."

Quote:
UKTV has spotted a demographic growth area for W in 30 to 39-year-old women and their partners, husbands and family, with whom they share a love of smart entertainment.

http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-reveals-w-premium-entertainment-channel/
VM
VMPhil
The DOG is much less intrusive than the previous one, with 'HD' tucked neatly under 'W' inside the logo, rather than put somewhere outside it. The DOG also appears to be in the same place on both SD and HD now, tucked right into the corner, whereas previously the SD DOG was further in the centre. I wonder if this means it's now cut off on older CRT TVs or TVs that don't let you turn off overscan.

Someone on the main forum when it was back up, enquired about whether the EastEnders titles with the huge drop shadow on the BBC logo is the one actually used by the show… it is and has been used since 2009!
WH
Whataday Founding member

Is that a fact? They seem to have done pretty well with Dave.
BA
bilky asko

From UKTV's press release about W.

Quote:
UKTV controller Emma Tennant, said,

"UKTV is known for peerlessly strong channel brands, which guide audiences to shows that are perfect for them. W will be no different, a premium channel for smart women and men seeking high-quality escapism."

Quote:
UKTV has spotted a demographic growth area for W in 30 to 39-year-old women and their partners, husbands and family, with whom they share a love of smart entertainment.

http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-reveals-w-premium-entertainment-channel/

Sorry, I meant the consumer advertising. They're bound to be more upfront with their demographics with their corporate press releases.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Can't badmouth the presentation. The DOG is nice and neat, and the ident is definitely one of UKTV's better attempts. Just a shame "dubbelyoo" isn't as quick to say as "watch" is.
VM
VMPhil
Can't badmouth the presentation. The DOG is nice and neat, and the ident is definitely one of UKTV's better attempts. Just a shame "dubbelyoo" isn't as quick to say as "watch" is.

What's that joke about the initials for World Wide Web having more syllables than the full name? Wink
LL
Larry the Loafer

What's that joke about the initials for World Wide Web having more syllables than the full name? Wink

It's the only letter that can't settle on just one syllable. It has to have three. It's the little b*stard of the alphabet.

Newer posts