« Topics
Thinker445 posts since 14 Dec 2005
UKTV is only doing what commercial radio has been doing for years, providing niche programming for certain demographics.

I don't have the official UKTV documentation on their brand demographics, but I'd assume something along the lines of:

GOLD - 35-64 M/F netural
Yesterday: 45-64 M/F netural
Really: 15-34 F
Dave: 25-44 M
Watch: 25-44 F
Drama: 25-44 F
Alibi: 25-44 M/F
Home: 35-54 F
Good Food: 35-54 F
Eden: 35+ F

Out of those, while you have mainly female focused brands, Good Food and Home are skewed towards housewives, Really to young women, while Dave is the only male skewed brand, while GOLD and Yesterday target older viewers, so there's something for most advertisers to put their ads on a particular channel.

Most of the target audiences can be found on the Channel 4 Sales website:
https://www.4sales.com/platforms/alibi/

Channel 4 Sales posted:
Alibi: Women 35-55
Dave: ABC1 25-34
Drama: ABC1 Adults
Eden: 25-64 Adults
Gold: 35+ Men and Women, BC1C2
Good Food: 25+ adults
Home: 25+ adults
Watch: 25-44 adults
Yesterday: 34 - 65+ ABC1
Inspector Sands14,152 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Remember that Watch's big launch show was getting Richard & Judy after Channel 4 axed them. That didn't last long!

To be fair it wasn't really the same show as the Channel 4 one - it felt a lot cheaper and I particularly remember the horrid red and white set they had when it first started (as '…New Position'). In fact the advert they made before it started was probably higher budget!

It was a good idea to change that set and move it to teatime but there was no way it was going to be as successful, particularly when starting on a brand new unknown channel, not available on Freeview.

I guess in some ways it was a brave move but they were a bit ahead of their time moving to a cable/satellite channel.

I saw an interview with them at the time where Richard said that it was a good move because everyone will have to have digital TV soon. Obviously he didn't realised or understand that Watch was a pay channel and therefore not universal
VMPhil10,087 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
W will launch at 10am on the 15th February according to the countdown on their website.

http://liveonw.co.uk

Screenshot for posterity:

The Virgin TV guide says that the EastEnders repeat, at least for the first week, is only going out on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in a 40 minute slot at 10pm, with 'Get Me to the Church' (listed as a new show) at the same time on Monday and 'Code Black' (listed as a repeat) at 10.10pm on Wednesday.
dvboy9,954 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today

The Virgin TV guide says that the EastEnders repeat, at least for the first week, is only going out on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in a 40 minute slot at 10pm, with 'Get Me to the Church' (listed as a new show) at the same time on Monday and 'Code Black' (listed as a repeat) at 10.10pm on Wednesday.

Presumably because it is still on BBC Three on Monday. EastEnders doesn't air on a Wednesday.
Watch it and find out.
Interceptor797 posts since 20 Oct 2014
There's a trail on the UKTV stations for the EastEnders repeats. Features quite a prominent and wonky looking BBC logo with a shadow - unless that's the one burned in to the EastEnders titles now, surely not!?
steddenm1,361 posts since 11 Oct 2004
Central (West) Midlands Today
There's a video on YouTube advertising EastEnders same-day repeats on W but it's been made unavailable by UKTV for some reason.

Also the Facebook page for the channel isn't working neither.

EDIT: looks like the video is working now. Hurrah!
Last edited by steddenm on 8 February 2016 8:04pm
"Stop touching Dot's pussy - you don't know where it's been!" (Honey Mitchell, EastEnders)