Media Websites

Youtube Warning

BBC WW Blocking closedown clips (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
benriggers
Just thought I'd warn anyone who has uploaded any (mainly) BBC Closedown clips on Youtube.
In the past it's been common for BBC Worldwide to block a clip if it features some footage from a programme (fair enough) but now they are starting to block BBC1 Closedown clips because of the national anthem used by the BBC. Sad
Last edited by benriggers on 3 February 2016 7:14pm - 2 times in total
JA
JAS84
That's ridiculous. The BBC don't own the National Anthem, if anyone does, it's the government. Though it may well be old enough to be public domain.
JA
james-2001
Presumably they have copyright on that particular recording though. And it's still in use as they still use it to close down Radio 4. Not that I think they should be blocking YouTube videos over it.
DE88, Nicky and bilky asko gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
That's ridiculous. The BBC don't own the National Anthem, if anyone does, it's the government. Though it may well be old enough to be public domain.

The tune we know as God Save The Queen is public domain, and apparently dates back to the 18th Century so any concept of copyright that existed at that time will be long expired.
IS
Inspector Sands
The song might be public domain - and of course the tune isn't unique to God Save The Queen - but the particular recording itself will belong to someone, possibly the BBC
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 4 February 2016 8:05am
NW
nwtv2003
As I tweeted to TV Live earlier it's a phase that BBC Worldwide copyright police seem to be going through. They go through spates of copyright claims and blocking, then disappear for ages. They've blocked a BBC1 continuity clip on my channel twice. Interestingly I uploaded a closedown from 1992 which got claimed, with notification and then blocked without notification, odd.

NM
Neil Miles
Thanks for the heads up. I had a video blocked by BBC WW last week that contained the closing credits of Dad's Army, but my closedown videos remain untouched as yet. If they do get blocked I may have to break out the Bontempi organ and record my own version of GSTQ...
NA
Nathan
I once got a copyright strike for a promo of all things thanks to BBC Worldwide!
BE
benriggers
To show there's proof in the pudding:
I've now removed all 1990s BBC1 closedown clips from my channel.
Last edited by benriggers on 4 February 2016 2:58am - 4 times in total
IN
Interceptor
What a waste of time and effort for all involved.
LL
Larry the Loafer
From my own personal experiences of BBC Worldwide clamping down on stuff I've uploaded, I was told to dispute it and cry fair use by those who got their videos unblocked. They lifted the ban.
JA
JAS84
I notice it just says audio-visual content - could the real problem be the ident, not the national anthem?

Newer posts