TV Home Forum

Radio and TV Simulcasts

Split from Eurovision 2016 (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
They stream non league and FA Cup games with geoblocking. League matches aren't streamed by the BBC but may be available on the club owned subscription service, oddly.

Good call on DAB having similar delay to Sky, but split frequency opts mean I usually need FM.
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Markymark posted:
NICAM lives on, it's still used to feed the BBC's national FM transmitters, (very recently BBC R&D commissioned new codecs, to replace 30+ year old kit)

As I understand it, the replacement NICAM codecs were something of a waste of licence payers' money, as the FM distribution network is currently being moved from NICAM over to IP.

We currently have the odd situation in central Wiltshire, where car radios contantly flip-flop between Wenvoe and Rowridge, with a little bit of Oxford thrown in if you venture up towards Swindon, where you get a stutter in the audio every time you swap main transmitters (or one of their RBRs).

As far as I can tell, Rowridge, and possibly Oxford, are over on an IP feed, but Wenvoe is still on NICAM. The delay differences are very obvious on speech when you swap between feeds.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I doubt they'd have built them if that were the case. From what I understand, the NICAM-coded audio will be sent over an IP link rather than the analogue microwave network it uses at present.
(I'm sure there are good reasons for keeping NICAM rather than some sort of AoIP codec)
MA
Markymark
I doubt they'd have built them if that were the case. From what I understand, the NICAM-coded audio will be sent over an IP link rather than the analogue microwave network it uses at present.
(I'm sure there are good reasons for keeping NICAM rather than some sort of AoIP codec)

Yes, that's right the coding with remain NICAM, the transport changes to MPLS. So far in the south Rowridge and NHT are now being fed MPLS, with a resulting 100 ms delay, up north I'm told Pontop and Sandale are MPLS, eventually all Txs will be in time again.

Oxford is RBL Sutton Coldfield, and is still on the old dist timing plane
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Markymark posted:
eventually all Txs will be in time again.

Thanks for the detail, Mark.

Do you have any better definition of "eventually", as listening to speech in the car in this area is currently almost impossible if you want to follow what's being said.
MA
Markymark
Markymark posted:
eventually all Txs will be in time again.

Thanks for the detail, Mark.

Do you have any better definition of "eventually", as listening to speech in the car in this area is currently almost impossible if you want to follow what's being said.

I know !! I'm in the Wrotham, Oxford, Rowridge overlap zone, (though I've migrated to using DAB now in the car, ah hang on, if I was a conspiracy theorist .....)

I did enquire back in November about it, let me get on the case again in the morning.......
NG
noggin Founding member
Markymark posted:
NICAM lives on, it's still used to feed the BBC's national FM transmitters, (very recently BBC R&D commissioned new codecs, to replace 30+ year old kit)

As I understand it, the replacement NICAM codecs were something of a waste of licence payers' money, as the FM distribution network is currently being moved from NICAM over to IP.

As others have said - think this was a misconception. NICAM will continue to be used to derive the transmitter feeds, and can be carried over IP circuits. The new hardware won't be redundant when IP has been fully rolled out, as the data the IP links are carrying will have been generated by it.

Newer posts