TV Home Forum

UKTV to launch new channel W

Flagship channel will replace Watch (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
I still think UKTV's biggest problem is the amount of channels it has, not what they're called. The fact that Keeping Up Appearances gets shown on a channel orientated towards factual and historical documentaries, and that one sitcom can (and does) air on Gold, Watch and Dave is a telling sign. Yes they're boosting their original programming which is making it all look a bit more sensible, but I really do think you can only rebrand a channel so many times before somebody realises it has no real purpose.

Yesterday despite being focused on entertaining history, appears to also be UKTV's gateway to their pay tv portfolio on Freeview, alas the classic GOLD sitcoms. In a similar way, Drama does that for Watch.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I still think UKTV's biggest problem is the amount of channels it has, not what they're called. The fact that Keeping Up Appearances gets shown on a channel orientated towards factual and historical documentaries, and that one sitcom can (and does) air on Gold, Watch and Dave is a telling sign. Yes they're boosting their original programming which is making it all look a bit more sensible, but I really do think you can only rebrand a channel so many times before somebody realises it has no real purpose.

Yesterday despite being focused on entertaining history, appears to also be UKTV's gateway to their pay tv portfolio on Freeview, alas the classic GOLD sitcoms. In a similar way, Drama does that for Watch.

It's a shame they don't have a proper "flagship" channel on Freeview that acts as a shop window for the other UKTV channels to save these strange programme choices on their channels. A true variety of programmes rather that just seems like the run offs of their other channels.
LT
LTSC1980
They could have named the channel 'Eve', and then rebrand it for Christmas the way they did with Christmas Dave. Wouldn't be confusing at all.

Eve is channel name that Discovery use in some territories.

The Eve was launched in Asia replacing Home & Health, with h&h programming move to TLC.
BR
Brekkie
Watch really should have been the umbrella channel for UKTV, bringing together the best of all the brands and really having a Freeview presence. No surprise it's rebranding again but W looks even worse.

And though I'm no EastEnders fan it doesn't sit well at all that a free to air narrative repeat is being moved behind a pay-wall - with commercials too. Such a move was never mentioned during the BBC3 consultation process.
IN
Interceptor
Watch really should have been the umbrella channel for UKTV, bringing together the best of all the brands and really having a Freeview presence. No surprise it's rebranding again but W looks even worse.

And though I'm no EastEnders fan it doesn't sit well at all that a free to air narrative repeat is being moved behind a pay-wall - with commercials too. Such a move was never mentioned during the BBC3 consultation process.

Probably because it wasnt anticipated. It was anticipated that it'd be axed. This is no worse than that.
CH
chris

Probably because it wasnt anticipated. It was anticipated that it'd be axed. This is no worse than that.

Sets an uneasy precedent though.
LL
Larry the Loafer
What if we're overlooking the true simplicity of the name and it's actually pronounced "wuh"?
MI
Michael
It's pronounced "dubya"
IN
Interceptor
chris posted:

For allowing UKTV to repeat stuff without much/any delay? It's been heading that way for years. UK Gold were advertising (new) Doctor Who before BBC One's run of that first series had finished.

Clearly they're hoping to grab a slice of a market the BBC has decided to redirect to iPlayer.
LL
London Lite Founding member
W is also showing the spin off to BBC Three's The Call Centre as Nev sets up a call centre in India.
NW
nwtv2003
chris posted:

For allowing UKTV to repeat stuff without much/any delay? It's been heading that way for years. UK Gold were advertising (new) Doctor Who before BBC One's run of that first series had

It wasn't uncommon for Dave to do this with Top Gear as soon as a BBC2 run had finished.

The BBC aren't stupid, programmes that are already in the can are also ready for international and commercial transmission. The best example is Doctor Who being shown on BBC America within 24 hours of it being shown on BBC1. It's no different with UKTV really.

I don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference, it'll almost certainly increase W's share of the audience at that time of night, but not get the BBC3 ratings for Eastenders.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I was always surprised that (UK(TV)) Gold didn't pick up classic Corrie following the demise of Granada Plus.

Assuming Granada/ITV would have been prepared to license it to them, of course.

Newer posts