TV Home Forum

UKTV to launch new channel W

Flagship channel will replace Watch (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
Usually UKTV are spot on with their channel naming, but W is just weird.

So, it's basically a female skewed version of Dave, then.

So, is UKTV's intended implication that the W might stand for Woman/Women?

It actually stands for Re-stEnders, with Jonathan Ross being the voice of the channel.

I think.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm surprised they still try and push Watch as its flagship channel when it has a lower audience share than Gold, Dave and Drama. They seem to have more rebrands than original commissions.
PE
permotio
End boards

PE
permotio
Promotional GIF

DavidWhitfield and Stuart gave kudos
PF
PFML84
Why not just call it Wendy? It's short, will sit well beside Dave and can still keep the W as it's on screen look, same way that Drama has a D logo for themselves.

I worry though that UKTV can't seem to settle on a brand for their channels. We got channels with just plain text, then all of them were in circles, then some broke free of the circles, and now we have this diamond shape.
NG
noggin Founding member
pad-e posted:
Why not just call it Wendy? It's short, will sit well beside Dave and can still keep the W as it's on screen look, same way that Drama has a D logo for themselves.

Think you've totally missed the reason that Dave is called Dave though... How many friends called Wendy do you have? (The theory was, I think, that every 'bloke' has a friend or a mate called Dave...)
WH
Whataday Founding member
The diamond shape is very BSB.

There's a certain irony of having Sophie Ellis Bextor front a programme on fame when she hasn't been famous this side of the Golden Jubilee.
PF
PFML84
pad-e posted:

Think you've totally missed the reason that Dave is called Dave though... How many friends called Wendy do you have? (The theory was, I think, that every 'bloke' has a friend or a mate called Dave...)

I don't know anyone called Dave or David in my personal life, either family or friend. Smile

I just think W is a silly name on its own and it probably won't stay that way for long. If it is a female skewed channel now instead of general entertainment like Watch is/was, then I think a women's name, even one not beginning with W, would have been a better idea.
LL
London Lite Founding member
It seems pretty desperate for the BBC to do a deal with UKTV for the linear same day repeat of EastEnders behind a paywall once BBC Three closes. This is what happens when the Tories cut their budget.

As for the branding, I have no real problem with Watch rebranding to 'W', UKTV have done successful relaunches of their portfolio in the past. I was critical of Dave in the early days, but they made it work.

I'd like to hope that 'W' would finally join the NOW TV line-up after the relaunch, so that the channel is accessible to the widest possible pay TV audience outside of Sky/Virgin.
JO
Jon

There's a certain irony of having Sophie Ellis Bextor front a programme on fame when she hasn't been famous this side of the Golden Jubilee.

I think that's probably the point.
FB
FBC
Jon posted:

I think that's probably the point.

I think it is, yes. A few months ago she did mention on Instagram that she was given the task to post on Instagram whenever Kim Kardashian did for 'a new UKTV programme'. I think it's safe to say it's this one.
AL
alexhduk
I think " Jane " would have been a perfect name.

Newer posts