The Newsroom

BBC Newsnight

(March 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
Yikes, 2878 x 1624 PNGs? Hope no-one's roaming!
CR
Critique
Yikes, 2878 x 1624 PNGs? Hope no-one's roaming!

Ooh christ! I've just moved onto a Retina Macbook and completely forgot there was quite a jump in resolution! Have changed them to thumbnails to save on the mobile data allowance!
LL
London Lite Founding member
The Ian Katz destruction of Newsnight continues with a segment featuring an interview with Harriet Harman in a pink limo.
DT
DTV
Critique - I don't think that is a BBC News set, but then again comedy shows have done very good mock ups before - it seems a waste of money given they could have just asked the Newsnight team to record it after an episode or on a Saturday when B sits idle.

On the Independent article - moving out of B is impossible an impractical. That time of night is when all studios are in use other than A and I do hope designing their own set isn't a euphemism for a new VR set. C and E are occupied and moving to any other would still require a full studio team. I doubt Newsnight will move out of B - where else would it go. I do, however, fear that Newsnight is on its last legs and Ian Katz isn't doing anything to help - if anything is hastening the process. While we're on Ian Katz and Studios - they might as well actually film Newsnight is a cupboard with black walls given that since he's taken over all the studio lights have been turned off - wasting the nicest and most versatile of all the BBC News sets. Since he's taken over there has been a mass exodus of very talented journalists and Newsnight has become insanely gimmicky. Newsnight has always been light touch - they've always had an and finally feel in the last few minutes but these days it seems the editors of Newsnight and Derbyshire are swapping ideas and attempting to outdo each other for pointless gimmicks and coverage of non-stories. Newsnight was a national institution then they had the Saville/MacAlpine scandal and what they needed to do after was go back to what they were good at but instead they changed the programme into a late night version of what is now the VD programme. Bad choice. Plus they should have made Kirsty the senior presenter after Paxo left given she's a better interviewer than Evan and has been there for 20 odd years.
BA
bilky asko
DTV posted:
Critique - I don't think that is a BBC News set, but then again comedy shows have done very good mock ups before - it seems a waste of money given they could have just asked the Newsnight team to record it after an episode or on a Saturday when B sits idle.

Perhaps it was to satisfy the usual requirement that a spoof news bulletin must vary from the real thing.
MD
mdtauk
The Ian Katz destruction of Newsnight continues with a segment featuring an interview with Harriet Harman in a pink limo.

It was an ironic use of a Limo at least.
DT
DTV
DTV posted:

Perhaps it was to satisfy the usual requirement that a spoof news bulletin must vary from the real thing.

They've done bulletins from Studio E for Doctor Who and Sherlock before and Studio A has appeared in a few other programmes such as EastEnders. Surely if it must vary they'd also not allow Evan to be doing it?
BA
bilky asko
DTV posted:
DTV posted:

They've done bulletins from Studio E for Doctor Who and Sherlock before and Studio A has appeared in a few other programmes such as EastEnders. Surely if it must vary they'd also not allow Evan to be doing it?

That's what I mean. Add Evan, take away the studio. Add the studio, take away Evan and replace with Jimmy Frinton or similar.

The appearances of BBC News in Doctor Who that I can recall have usually included poor recreations of the BBC News graphics to counter any potential realism, though the ones I remember had fictional presenters in a set not resembling the national sets at all.
MA
Markymark

The appearances of BBC News in Doctor Who that I can recall have usually included poor recreations of the BBC News graphics to counter any potential realism, though the ones I remember had fictional presenters in a set not resembling the national sets at all.

Although in Skyfall (I think ?) Huw Edwards sat on the real set was used ?
MI
m_in_m
DTV posted:

On the Independent article - moving out of B is impossible an impractical. That time of night is when all studios are in use other than A and I do hope designing their own set isn't a euphemism for a new VR set. C and E are occupied and moving to any other would still require a full studio team. I doubt Newsnight will move out of B - where else would it go. I do, however, fear that Newsnight is on its last legs and Ian Katz isn't doing anything to help - if anything is hastening the process. While we're on Ian Katz and Studios - they might as well actually film Newsnight is a cupboard with black walls given that since he's taken over all the studio lights have been turned off - wasting the nicest and most versatile of all the BBC News sets. Since he's taken over there has been a mass exodus of very talented journalists and Newsnight has become insanely gimmicky. Newsnight has always been light touch - they've always had an and finally feel in the last few minutes but these days it seems the editors of Newsnight and Derbyshire are swapping ideas and attempting to outdo each other for pointless gimmicks and coverage of non-stories. Newsnight was a national institution then they had the Saville/MacAlpine scandal and what they needed to do after was go back to what they were good at but instead they changed the programme into a late night version of what is now the VD programme. Bad choice. Plus they should have made Kirsty the senior presenter after Paxo left given she's a better interviewer than Evan and has been there for 20 odd years.

As always that assumes that Kirsty wold have wanted the position.
NG
noggin Founding member
DTV posted:

Though that rule appears to have been relaxed. At one point it was either :

1. Real presenter on fake set
2. Fake presenter on real set

But you weren't allowed real presenter on real set with fake news.

However this was definitely relaxed a while ago (though maybe only in some situations). ISTR that Spooks getting Sky News to do all the 'fake news' for a series may have triggered a change of view.

The BBC have certainly allowed real presenters on real sets for a while now - subject to availability. There have been quite a few examples of note, the obvious (and already mentioned) Huw Edwards appearance on Skyfall, but Joanna Gosling appeared repeatedly in an international production in the mid-00s reading fake news in a real studio. So much show she featured in the trailer here :
DA
DAN09690
DTV posted:

Though that rule appears to have been relaxed. At one point it was either :

1. Real presenter on fake set
2. Fake presenter on real set

But you weren't allowed real presenter on real set with fake news.

However this was definitely relaxed a while ago (though maybe only in some situations). ISTR that Spooks getting Sky News to do all the 'fake news' for a series may have triggered a change of view.

The BBC have certainly allowed real presenters on real sets for a while now - subject to availability. There have been quite a few examples of note, the obvious (and already mentioned) Huw Edwards appearance on Skyfall, but Joanna Gosling appeared repeatedly in an international production in the mid-00s reading fake news in a real studio. So much show she featured in the trailer here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRzUEC3GnI8

There is also this from Charlie Brookers Election Wipe with Simon McCoy in Studio E - Graphics are slightly off though.

Newer posts