TV Home Forum

BBC3. The future

What will happen after BBC 3 goes online> (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Hi

After BBC 3 completes its switchover online what will happen to the slot on the EPG?
JF
JetixFann450
I believe it will become a preview channel for the channel, then get shut down afterwards and CBBC extends to 9pm.
NL
Ne1L C
Hi. Many thanks
BR
Brekkie
Not sure about Sky and Virgin but there are two proposals for Freeview - the sensible one which is that C4 and BBC Alba in Wales and Scotland respectively move from 8 to 7, with the local TV channels in Wales and Scotland moving from 23 to 8.

The other proposal is such nonsense I don't really get why it's even being proposed but it basically sees all services currently on 8 - i.e. C4 Wales, BBC Alba and Local TV in England (and NI if applicable) move to 7, then BBC4 move to 8 and Local TV in Scotland and Wales move to 9.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/12/what-to-do-with-ex-bbc-three-freeview.html

The HD slot is a little bit more complicated - basically if C5 want it they'll need to get in quick, otherwise it's likely we'll just see the PSB HD channels at least move one up the EPG in time.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Sky's "Method for allocating listings in Sky's EPG" document says:

https://corporate.sky.com/documents/about-sky/regulatory-information/method-for-allocating-listings-in-skys-epg-effective-from-28-may-2015.pdf posted:
Where a new service launches, or where it moves between genres, sub-genres or categories, the service will generally be allocated the next available channel number within the genre, sub-genre or category (that is, on a “first-come, first-served” basis). Accordingly, where a channel number is vacated by a service which has either ceased broadcasting or moved to another genre, the vacated channel number will not generally be re-allocated.

Sky may, from time to time, after consulting with broadcasters, fill any unallocated channel numbers within a genre or sub-genre by moving services listed below the unallocated channel numbers up the EPG, or move the services within a genre or sub-genre to a new number range. In so doing, Sky generally will retain the relative order of the services moved. In carrying out such a move Sky may, depending on the circumstances, allow broadcasters to elect to retain the existing channel number for their services.
ST
Stuart
On the Sky EPG, 113 belongs to the BBC as long as they continue to use it, and is in a prime slot on page 2.

It would make sense for them to move BBC One HD and BBC Two Eng SD from 141/142 (depending on what package you have) into 113/114 and shuffle BBC Four SD/HD down to 141.

. . . or any other permutation to move their main channels up the EPG. Razz
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
113 is Universal, sure you don't mean 115 which is BBC Three?
ST
Stuart
113 is Universal, sure you don't mean 115 which is BBC Three?

Yes! I meant 115/116.

My bad! Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
On the Sky EPG, 113 belongs to the BBC as long as they continue to use it, and is in a prime slot on page 2.

It would make sense for them to move BBC One HD and BBC Two Eng SD from 141/142 (depending on what package you have) into 113/114 and shuffle BBC Four SD/HD down to 141.

. . . or any other permutation to move their main channels up the EPG. Razz

No point moving BBC2 SD up but BBC1 HD for sure. I suspect the BBC2 nations will arrive in HD before the English regions arrive on BBC1 HD. No reason either why they couldn't put BBC1 HD on 115 in England and BBC2 HD in the nations.
MR
mr_vivian
The sad thing about this is that it is a reflection of how much the BBC is on its knees.

If it all works out well for BBC Three Online - BBC Four will soon follow I would guess.

I expect eventually the BBC will just ultimately become BBC Worldwide (The commercial arm) - unless everyone pays more money towards the TV license and I don't think people will want to do that.

In the end, the Internet and the multi channel digital age has put the BBC (and many other services) on its knees and unfortunately that's something nobody seen coming until now.
BR
Brekkie
In the end, the Internet and the multi channel digital age has put the BBC (and many other services) on its knees and unfortunately that's something nobody seen coming until now.

No, the Tories have put the BBC on its knees. It was thriving as part of the Internet and multi channel revolution up until 2010. It's demise in recent years has been largely political.
NG
noggin Founding member

Nope - the BBC was doing very well in the multichannel age (BBC One is still the most watched channel in the UK too). The BBC kickstarted both online viewing (iPlayer) and multichannel FTA/PSB TV (BBC Choice and BBC Knowledge then BBC Three/CBBC, BBC Four/CBeebies).

What's put the BBC on its knees is a massive funding cut from governments that have added responsibilities (S4C, Rural broadband, Local TV backbone, World Service Radio and now Over-75s Licence Fees) and frozen increases (though this should change - but so may the charter terms).

Newer posts