TV Home Forum

Christmas 2015

Presentation, Adverts and Stuff (November 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
Going back to the Slade video that gets played on the music channels - look what I found in a recent Guardian interview with the man himself.

Quote:
What was your funniest performance?

We did lots of TV in Europe where we’d be on with a juggler or a camel. We did one in the 80s when Merry Xmas Everybody went big again; it gets shown again every Christmas. Me and Don [Powell, drums] had been drinking for hours, and were blasted. There’s snow coming down and Don decides to play it like a heavy metal drummer, playing all these drum rolls like Animal off the Muppets. A total shambles, but great telly.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/26/noddy-holder-people-think-i-live-in-a-cave-all-year-and-come-out-in-december-shouting-its-chriiisstmaaasss

I always wondered about that video. I haven't seen it used for a while, but it used to bug me every time I saw it because of how appalling the drums were, and how nobody seemed to care. Now I know they were drunk, it suddenly makes sense.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A random thought as it's ITV's Christmas jumper day - would I be right to say that Christmas jumpers have only really been a thing since this bit of BBC One Christmas pres?

Has any other bit of TV pres had that big an effect on popular culture?
BR
Brekkie
No you would not be right at all. Been around as long as I can remember.
DA
davidhorman
Wikipedia singles out Gyles Brandreth and Timmy Mallett for ultimate responsbility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_jumper
VM
VMPhil

There's definitely been a sort of ironic revival in the last few years though.
RE
remlap
Noticed the Bovril ad on telly the other day.

BR
Brekkie
Are the BBC4 idents new this year with the snowflake logo and the reindeer sleigh ride?
:-(
A former member
Are the BBC4 idents new this year with the snowflake logo and the reindeer sleigh ride?

yes
BA
bilky asko

There's definitely been a sort of ironic revival in the last few years though.

Around the same time as hipsters wearing knitted jumpers and cardigans all year round?

Newer posts