The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DT
DTV
To be fair to Indian News Networks, Sky and the BBC have a startling amount of graphics on screen during an election. The BBC had 4 or 5 moving parts at a time and Sky had a similar number. Not to mention the ridiculous gimicks that both pulled out - one had a massive screen with the name of all 650 constituencies on it which were too small to read even in HD and one had Jeremy Vine prancing around a virtual world explaining the electoral system in the kind of way Newsround viewers would find patronising. And, in terms of pointless graphics that explain nothing and embarrass the entire production team, no broadcaster will ever be able to top this no matter how hard they try
NG
noggin Founding member
DTV posted:
ot to mention the ridiculous gimicks that both pulled out - one had a massive screen with the name of all 650 constituencies on it which were too small to read even in HD

Though the point of that particular graphic was to show the momentum (it was a kind of swingometer based on constituencies which are vital to telling the election-night story) and not to provide individual results.

The technology used meant that they were able to take close-ups of the graphics (even in the 90s version which used incredibly early HD graphics and projection in an otherwise SD studio) which allowed you to clearly read the graphics in SD or HD, which was useful when the location rather than overall trend was of interest.
WW
WW Update
Antena 3, Spain; general election intro, 2015:

WW
WW Update
RAI News 24, Italy; new look, September 2015:

WW
WW Update
News promos for France's defunct La Cinq, 1991-1992:

La Cinq's dramatic evening newscast on the day the channel's demise was made official; it was eventually replaced by the public-service La Cinquième (now France 5):

Last edited by WW Update on 22 December 2015 7:59pm
WW
WW Update
ORF, Austria; 7:30 p.m. news on ORF2, 2015:

Close:

ORF, Austria; 8 p.m. news on ORF1, 2015:

Last edited by WW Update on 23 December 2015 1:00pm
WW
WW Update
SRF, Switzerland (German); 10 vor 10 , 2015:

Merry Christmas!
WW
WW Update
TV21, Macedonia, 2015:

BR
Brekkie
A somewhat familar intro to 39 Dunedin News in New Zealand:
CI
cityprod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PJO6ZZPEc

I think they've been using that intro pretty much since 2004/5. If memory serves, they introduced that intro not that long after ITV did, and they're still using it today.
MW
Mike W

I think they've been using that intro pretty much since 2004/5. If memory serves, they introduced that intro not that long after ITV did, and they're still using it today.

I spoke to the director over YT message about 6 years back - as he said "My friend is so busted! He was a British TV designer student who moved to NZ and got a job with us part time!" - very inspired!
AB
ABC Australia

I spoke to the director over YT message about 6 years back - as he said "My friend is so busted! He was a British TV designer student who moved to NZ and got a job with us part time!" - very inspired!

They even used the ITV Local News theme for a while

Newer posts