The Newsroom

BBC News at Ten

10 o'clock regional news extended permanently. Whittingdale not happy. (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I disagree with that, why would someone watch the analysis of the news, but not the news itself?

If you are so interested in news to watch Newsnight I can't imagine them skipping News at Ten.

Well, if you're interested enough in politics to watch Newsnight, why wouldn't you watch television's flagship political programme Question Time? Most people who watch Newsnight are the same people who listen to the Today programme and have kept up with the news throughout the day on TV and radio.

And in any case, all the important news has been on at ten o'clock. At half past ten you're onto the sport, the and finally and the regional news, the latter of which appeals to a totally different audience. It's not the same news at 10.30, it's international politics vs a cat up a tree.
RI
Rijowhi

And in any case, all the important news has been on at ten o'clock. At half past ten you're onto the sport, the and finally and the regional news, the latter of which appeals to a totally different audience. It's not the same news at 10.30, it's international politics vs a cat up a tree.

Surely there are people who want to know all types of News - International, National and Regional? For the more important stuff they might wish to have some analysis on the issues of the day on Newsnight.

This is one of the reasons I personally feel that Newsnight should be moved to the BBC News Channel to start at 11pm. The other being that some of the online BBC3's content needs a decent time to be shown and 10pm could be an option.
DT
DTV

Surely there are people who want to know all types of News - International, National and Regional? For the more important stuff they might wish to have some analysis on the issues of the day on Newsnight.

This is one of the reasons I personally feel that Newsnight should be moved to the BBC News Channel to start at 11pm. The other being that some of the online BBC3's content needs a decent time to be shown and 10pm could be an option.

If you move it to the News Channel you may as well give it a decent time slot, say 9PM. Putting it at 11PM is basically putting two bullets in the back of its head and saying this is something we're ashamed of and hope nobody watches. I don't even know why the BBC needs to p*ss around with the 10, the kind of people who want more than half an hour of news in the evening are the kind of people who watch Newsnight anyway.
BR
Brekkie
Fair enough point, and to be fair with Newsnight being more of an analysis show than a news bulletin they could probably get away with repeating it in a later slot too.
RI
Rijowhi
DTV posted:

If you move it to the News Channel you may as well give it a decent time slot, say 9PM. Putting it at 11PM is basically putting two bullets in the back of its head and saying this is something we're ashamed of and hope nobody watches. I don't even know why the BBC needs to p*ss around with the 10, the kind of people who want more than half an hour of news in the evening are the kind of people who watch Newsnight anyway.

As Brekkie said this is a really good point. As you say 9pm could be a decent time slot and could potentially pull more viewers in if the promotion is right.
WO
Worzel
Interesting read here from Peter Preston in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/dec/13/bbc-switch-newsnight-channel
CA
Cando
Peter Preston knows zero about Broadcast news. I remember him constantly repeating that BBC Breakfast would die within a year at Salford and that Sian was irreplaceable. He repeated that every week for months but for some strange reason he never mentions it anymore
BR
Brekkie
Yes I was expecting an article advocating a move to the news channel to free up airtime on BBC2 for BBC3 type content but he was essentially playing to the people who can't use a remote control. If it could all fit in an hour it might just work making Newsnight an extension of the Ten but as they are it would either be way too long or a questionable compromise which does neither show any favours.

29 days later

WA
watchingtv
BBC News at Ten had a proper close tonight, instead of 'now the news where you are' and pan out. Im not sure if its for the new format or one off with David Bowie story. Beforehand, Huw crossed to a presumably recorded (20sec) Newsnight teaser with Evan from the studio, incorrectly lit & camera in view.
CU
Custard56
BBC News at Ten had a proper close tonight, instead of 'now the news where you are' and pan out. Im not sure if its for the new format or one off with David Bowie story. Beforehand, Huw crossed to a presumably recorded (20sec) Newsnight teaser with Evan from the studio, incorrectly lit & camera in view.

My suspicion is that it's a one-off for the David Bowie story - I have seen the BBC News at Ten end in a similar way on a "big news" day, with memorable images of the story closing the bulletin before the cut-away to the regional bulletin. They also ended tonight's BBC News at Six like this, before the cut away to the 6:30pm regional bulletins.

Having said that, it's the first time I've seen Newsnight being promoted like that at the end of the Ten.
MA
Markymark

My suspicion is that it's a one-off for the David Bowie story - I have seen the BBC News at Ten end in a similar way on a "big news" day, with memorable images of the story closing the bulletin before the cut-away to the regional bulletin. They also ended tonight's BBC News at Six like this, before the cut away to the 6:30pm regional bulletins.

I wish South Today would have a 'cold start' on handovers such as last night at 22:30. It destroys
the mood set by the closing montage, to suddenly be blasted by the regional news music. I suspect ST are not the only region/nation guilty of this ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Are regions told if the network bulletin will have a different finish to normal?

Newer posts