BBC TWO Christmas 2015 presentation

Retro idents, eh? (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GL
Gluben
Jonny posted:
chris posted:
Jonny posted:
I can't unwatch that. Awful stuff, but like most Red Bee Media stuff (and other idents of their kind), the people who make them truly believe they have made something special and memorable. It's so frustrating.

It looks like a classic example of something being a lot more fun to make for the people involved than the actual end product delivers.

That particular audio agency produces consistently mediocre work yet seems to be the BBC/Red Bee's go to agency for the last 5 years or so. Frustrating is the word.

If what they're saying is true about being given 24 hours, I think they did a pretty good job!

I was just going to add that amendment to my post! But it just sums up the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

Indeed, and whilst I get that they had a short time (which I don't blame Red Bee Media for), they have produced similar stuff without the time constraints. But yes, they should've been given more notice.
MR
mr_vivian
Two.. Two.. Two... Twooo... Twooo.. Twooo

It's the sort of music that should be played in a torture chamber.

"Tell us where he is..."

Two.. Twoo.. Twoo.. Twoo

"Please god make it stop! OK OK I'll tell you where he is"
AR
Argybargy
I'm really trying to find something to like about this year's BBC Two Christmas Ident package. But it's just all a bit too naff with that two-two-twooo singing. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd kept the idents with their respective original soundtracks.

I remember reading somewhere about the 2011 package actually being planned for launch the previous year but they didn't have it ready in time for Christmas 2010, To me, it just seems over the last few years that they really don't seem all that bothered about their idents at Christmas or indeed at any other time of the year. Such a pity. Let's hope there's a brand refresh on the way fairly soon. I'm not holding my breath though!
LL
Larry the Loafer
Makes you wonder how some shiny Christmas trees on a turntable will go down nowadays. As Applemask once said during one of his brilliant Christmas Wrapping videos, you never get idents that are crafted with "love" anymore. Sprout Boy might be one of the "cuter" postings we've had in recent years (even though the name is crap) but it'll never match the brilliance of, say, BBC One's festive storybook presentation from 1990, or the toys/spinning top look from the year before. And they were used for a fraction of the time these will be.
AR
Argybargy
Makes you wonder how some shiny Christmas trees on a turntable will go down nowadays. As Applemask once said during one of his brilliant Christmas Wrapping videos, you never get idents that are crafted with "love" anymore. Sprout Boy might be one of the "cuter" postings we've had in recent years (even though the name is crap) but it'll never match the brilliance of, say, BBC One's festive storybook presentation from 1990, or the toys/spinning top look from the year before. And they were used for a fraction of the time these will be.

I agree, it's all so different now. Maybe the fact that the idents used to air for only 3 days did make them feel that bit more special. The current set have already been in use for a week and a half. And there's still 2 weeks to go until Christmas Day.
JU
Justin
Lambie Nairn are capable of knocking out naff stuff too.

Apart from the dancers, LN really hadn't made any missteps (albeit they had a much larger budget to work with then). There was a point during the 90's where every channel you saw had Lambie Nairn's design in them (ie: Channel 4, BBC1/2, Carlton). It's quite frustrating to see Lambie-Nairn basically cut out of the running when execs decided to rebrand now.
Last edited by Justin on 12 December 2015 5:46am
MR
mr_vivian
I wanna see the 2 with all the lights
Last edited by mr_vivian on 12 December 2015 12:20pm
CA
Cavan
EH? All four of those idents have aired. Mind you the first one has been dropped while the other three are on rotating for every third junction.

You were saying?
:-(
A former member
Its FINALLY turned up after 9 days not being used? and it was just used again at 11.30. So its back in use.
Last edited by A former member on 12 December 2015 12:00pm - 3 times in total
CA
Cavan
Its FINALLY turned up after 9 days not being used?

Yep, and it's just been used again. They seem to be very keen on rebuking your statement. Wink
A former member
Cavan posted:
Its FINALLY turned up after 9 days not being used?

Yep, and it's just been used again. They seem to be very keen on rebuking your statement. Wink

ALAS it will not be used for EĆ²rpa jct it will be one out.

I wonder why it was never used for over a week.
A former member
AT LEAST I've finally seen in in the flesh.

Newer posts