TV Home Forum

BBC TWO Christmas 2015 presentation

Retro idents, eh? (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IN
Interceptor
Yet the current crop is consistency, it all has the "2" doing something. And the thing is there still good.

You what? The only one with the 2 doing something is the yellow/robot one, in the other the (main) 2 is either a static object or something which various things form up as the viewer's perspective changes.
JU
Justin
Well, the majority of the viewers are not paying that much attention to how the 2 is being used in every ident and I doubt anyone really has the thought that the look looks too old. That's one of the benefits of keeping the same '2' symbol around (albeit minor changes 07' Mad ) as idents from 24 years ago could still slot in temporarily without it looking out of place during budget cuts.
JO
Jonny
Replacing the audio and sfx so slap-happily just reinforces the suspicion that they don't understand the integral ingredients that made the 90s idents feel special and resulted in people recognising and attaching emotion to BBC2. Even the middling, occasionally excellent Yellow era had consistently outstanding attention to sound design, as Bail's fantastic download link shows.

I worry they could do something equally stupid to the regular classic idents in a similarly misguided attempt to make things seem new.

Resources are clearly being made available, they're just being allocated to the wrong things. A new overarching presentation framework is needed, yet they somehow ordered an acapella troupe.
ED
ExDSStar
BBC Two needs a total rebrand with care really, Not using the 90s and 2011 ident with horrible music.
IN
Interceptor
BBC Two needs a total rebrand with care really, Not using the 90s and 2011 ident with horrible music.

I disagree. Using the 90s/2000 idents as a base set of idents is not an issue, but you have to make the surrounding presentation match. Only in NI is there any consistency (and even there not enough).

They also have to realise that it wasn't only what was on screen that made them special. Silk would be *nothing* without its luscious, almost haunting, soundtrack.
:-(
A former member
Has the yellow 2001 ident been withdrawn?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

No. Just seen it being used into University Challenge.
A former member

No. Just seen it being used into University Challenge.

NO that the 2002 Yellow ident.

i'm on about the one with the Xmas tree coming out of the hand which has not been noted since Last Wednesday .
JO
Jonny

i'm on about the one with the Xmas tree coming out of the hand which has not been noted since Last Wednesday .

Has "Yellow Electro Fairy Tree" been seen outside of the nations? Maybe it's being held back until later by network?

Although it wouldn't be the first time something's been commissioned and not used for reasons that don't extend beyond someone just not liking it...
A former member
Jonny posted:

Has "Yellow Electro Fairy Tree" been seen outside of the nations? Maybe it's being held back until later by network?

Although it wouldn't be the first time something's been commissioned and not used for reasons that don't extend beyond someone just not liking it...

The second and last time the nations have used it was for the snooker last Wednesday afternoon.
JU
Justin
BR
Brekkie
Best played on mute.

Newer posts