TV Home Forum

BBC 3 Rebrand for online switchover?

Teaser just appeared (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
chris posted:
BBC Four won't go online-only. Its demographic still watch linear programming. I suspect CBBC might be the next casualty.

It won't. But I don't see why BBC Four's now-limited programming can't be injected back into BBC Two and give it a sense of purpose again.
ST
Stuart
The sad thing is they could so easily keep it going by axing some of the overmanning and duplication in the Corporation.

That sounds like a rant worthy of the regular 'anti-licence fee' Daily Mail article.

Oddly, media organisations require staff and managers in order to function, whether they are in the public or private sector.

Everyone also pays for the operations of commercial broadcasters, just indirectly; whether they view the channels or not.

I am astounded at people who believe that a public corporation (or even a Government Department) doesn't operate more efficiently than a commercial enterprise. Such thinking really does wander into the realm of fantasy economics.
Last edited by Stuart on 6 December 2015 6:56pm
IN
Interceptor
chris posted:
BBC Four won't go online-only. Its demographic still watch linear programming. I suspect CBBC might be the next casualty.

The vast majority of viewing by the BBC3 demographic is still linear too - but that seems to have been ignored in the whole fiasco.

That same vast majority represents viewers of American Dad and Family Guy, which isn't available on iPlayer, and will be equally served by ITV2, just one slot down or a few up depending on your platform.
RS
Rob_Schneider
The sad thing is they could so easily keep it going by axing some of the overmanning and duplication in the Corporation.

That sounds like a rant worthy of the regular 'anti-licence fee' Daily Mail article.

Oddly, media organisations require staff and managers in order to function, whether they are in the public or private sector.

Everyone also pays for the operations of commercial broadcasters, just indirectly; whether they view the channels or not.

I am astounded at people who believe that a public corporation (or even a Government Department) doesn't operate more efficiently than a commercial enterprise. Such thinking really does wander into the realm of fantasy economics.

There is aboslutely no way any commercial organisation would run with the staffing levels of the BBC. How many do Global employ on LBC breakfast versus the Today programme? How many people do ITV employ on GMB compared to Brekafast? How many people do Global employ on the London variants of Heart, Capital or Smooth breakfast versus Nick Grimshaw & Chris Evans on 1/2?

It's not a Daily Mail rant. It's a call to get the BBC to be more cost-concious and business like. If that's wrong then I'm very sorry.
CA
Cando
Actually the ITV Breakfast production team is significantly bigger than BBC Breakfasts' and lol at you comparing the LBC casual racist fest with Nick Ferrari to the Today programme. To be fair to the Daily Mail I don't think their rants are as badly informed as yours.
IS
Inspector Sands
There is aboslutely no way any commercial organisation would run with the staffing levels of the BBC. How many do Global employ on LBC breakfast versus the Today programme? How many people do ITV employ on GMB compared to Brekafast? How many people do Global employ on the London variants of Heart, Capital or Smooth breakfast versus Nick Grimshaw & Chris Evans on 1/2?

But you're taking no account of what's actually broadcast in the competing programmes. Sure Radio 4 could have the same number of staff for Today if it was primarily phone in programme. Radio 1 could employ as many people as Capital if it just played the same 20 tracks in rotation with much less production and virtually no public service content

It's interesting hearing Chris Moyles' new show on another global station, Radio X. The staffing levels there don't sound that much different than when he was on Radio 1 - sounds like the only main difference is a lack of sports news presenter
Stuart, UKnews and Brekkie gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
It won't. But I don't see why BBC Four's now-limited programming can't be injected back into BBC Two and give it a sense of purpose again.

A lot of BBC4's style of programming was never on BBC2 in the first place and wouldn't have been commissioned for it. That's not to say that BBC2 couldn't broaden it's scope to include BBC4's current content
BR
Brekkie

But you're taking no account of what's actually broadcast in the competing programmes. Sure Radio 4 could have the same number of staff for Today if it was primarily phone in programme. Radio 1 could employ as many people as Capital if it just played the same 20 tracks in rotation with much less production and virtually no public service content

It's interesting hearing Chris Moyles' new show on another global station, Radio X. The staffing levels there don't sound that much different than when he was on Radio 1 - sounds like the only main difference is a lack of sports news presenter

And I suspect it compares quite well to foreign equivalents. Sadly the reason commercial radio especially is run on such a shoe string is because it's a race to the bottom - everything in the UK industry seems to be about minimising costs rather than trying to maximise income.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Global's London based breakfast shows are on the whole heavily resourced. They're after all the flagship shows of each of their brands.

Heart, Capital and Radio X are on a par with Radio 1.
RS
Rob_Schneider
Oh look, something slightly right wing being called racist? Ooh that's never happened before.
DO
dosxuk
Oh look, something slightly right wing being called racist? Ooh that's never happened before.

I'm not sure, but I get the impression it probably happens quite often around you.
tmorgan96, Maaixuew and Critique gave kudos
MA
Maaixuew

Give it up.

Newer posts