TV Home Forum

The X Factor 2016

(March 2015)

TG
TG Meridian (South) South Today
They wouldn't be able to film fake standing ovations from the audience or tell them who to boo and cheer, as they did the year I went to the auditions.

I thought it was fun to let them try - the more we were told not to do this or boo that (Liverpool, 2011 I think), the more we made sure that we did, just to be bloody awkward. In fact, the awful acts all got the standing ovations and the good ones got muted applause cos, in the words of a guy two rows behind me, "that'll f*** up their editing!"
FT
FrenchTvFan
The main show is the part that's too long but, to be fair, there isn't *that* much padding out. The VTs before each performance, the judges comments - these are all integral parts of the show. TV wouldn't be very exciting if every show quickly whizzed through the most important bits and cut out everything else.

The VTs before the performances are the longest and most boring part of the show. I remember when I went in the studio (2 years ago) that they use every second of the VTs to set everything on stage. For me, the problem with The X Factor is that the show is so over produced that we can't concentrate on the singers anymore. They should cut down on the backing dancer and silly props and have a live house band that makes the show look more like a concert and less like a Karaoke night full of cheesy backing tracks. It would make the show "more genuine" and it would also need less crazy stage props, therefore less VTs to make the show go quicker.

If you have a look at this video of Carie Underwood on American Idol, Ryan Seacrest's link, the VT, the performance, the judges comments and the voting information are done in less than 3'30 (which is a bit too short, 4'00 to 4'30 would be perfect)
BE
ben.anderson Anglia (East) Look East
The judges are just bland this year, same old comments. The only thing I would say that went well was boot-camp, that was actually quite enjoyable this year and I felt that was done well. We all know the judges houses this year spoke for itself... It's the live shows again causing the biggest problem, same old voice-overs, same old studio set, same production, 80's theme weeks (or whatever). I tried to watch it this year but stopped after those awful judges houses which was the biggest mess I have ever seen in my life.
HJ
HJL Spotlight
I feel like Simon must have really liked the use of the platform at the back of the studio when it was used a couple of weeks ago for Louisa's performance of Hold back the River, seeing as its been used twice since (both this week); for the group number on Sunday and Lauren's first track on saturday night. I'm hoping thats a suggestion of what may be to come next year. I totally agree, the introduction of a new set would really improve the show, if its less crass and more realistic. The use of a 'house band' would add to the credibility of the show. Look at how music is these days, music gigs in arenas use big lighting sets etc. but its so important that the act is credible, and that there is live music associated- never full backing tracks. I feel like the X Factor hits the mark for 2010, its not what the audience of 2015 is after.
It will be interesting to see how this years final is done... has it been confirmed or denied if it will be in Wembley Arena again this year? I feel like that'll be a test of how the show could do in the future... How well Carroline and Olly hold that audience will either see their deaths as hosts, or will see them in their element. I will look forward to see how staging is done... after all there is no Fleur East this year who did massive dance numbers... It's all about the vocal with 4/5 semi-finalists.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
It's all about the vocal with 4/5 semi-finalists.

Not sure that's *quite* true of Reggie and Bollie to be honest.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
The judges are just bland this year, same old comments. The only thing I would say that went well was boot-camp, that was actually quite enjoyable this year and I felt that was done well. We all know the judges houses this year spoke for itself... It's the live shows again causing the biggest problem, same old voice-overs, same old studio set, same production, 80's theme weeks (or whatever). I tried to watch it this year but stopped after those awful judges houses which was the biggest mess I have ever seen in my life.

Every single word of that post is true. I really do think the best chance the show has of saving itself is if Simon axes himself. It was better without him and he has accelerated it's decline by returning, both in terms of ratings and also making it a parody of itself.

I feel like Simon must have really liked the use of the platform at the back of the studio when it was used a couple of weeks ago for Louisa's performance of Hold back the River, seeing as its been used twice since (both this week); for the group number on Sunday and Lauren's first track on saturday night. I'm hoping thats a suggestion of what may be to come next year. I totally agree, the introduction of a new set would really improve the show, if its less crass and more realistic. The use of a 'house band' would add to the credibility of the show. Look at how music is these days, music gigs in arenas use big lighting sets etc. but its so important that the act is credible, and that there is live music associated- never full backing tracks. I feel like the X Factor hits the mark for 2010, its not what the audience of 2015 is after.
It will be interesting to see how this years final is done... has it been confirmed or denied if it will be in Wembley Arena again this year? I feel like that'll be a test of how the show could do in the future... How well Carroline and Olly hold that audience will either see their deaths as hosts, or will see them in their element. I will look forward to see how staging is done... after all there is no Fleur East this year who did massive dance numbers... It's all about the vocal with 4/5 semi-finalists.

Yes, it is Wembley again and agree none of the acts are capable of filling it. As for the staging I know it's dated now and perhaps the reason they're doing it but makes me laugh how they have this big shiny stage yet at least three performances at the weekend were not on the stage.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
RS
Rob_Schneider
But that set is what - six years old? Wasn't it designed by the same guy who did this year's Eurovision set?
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
On this weeks show Christmas trees were shown all set up during rehearsals during the VT's however they were missing from the live show.

Would they have been pulled for some reason at last minute?
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Probably more mindless last minute tweaking.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
An interesting little line in my local paper regarding one of the finalists...
Quote:
In Ghana, Reggie released three songs in 2006 called Virgin, For Sale and Adoma. In 2004, Bollie also had a hit called You May Kiss The Bride.

Article: http://www.huntspost.co.uk/what-s-on/reggie_n_bollie_ready_for_the_homecoming_tour_after_securing_a_place_in_x_factor_final_1_4339308

It would be nice if X Factor was a bit more open about the contestants past instead of appearing to hide it. By contrast a clip shown on here (I think) from Pop Idol the contestant's music background was more openly admitted to viewers.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
So the grand finals is this weekend. As if one 2 hour (and 5 minutes) show on Saturday night for the three remaining acts isn't long enough there's another 2 hour show tomorrow night. Whilst I appreciate there will be a number of guest stars/acts performing it strikes me as being far too long, and will inevitably be heavily padded out. Surely 90 minute programmes would have been more than enough, and would still need to be padded out a bit.

(Incidentally for anyone wondering for Reggie & Bollie's 'homecoming' the show only bothered to visit one of their home towns.)
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
JB
JasonB London London
So the grand finals is this weekend.

Hooray! Until August.....
Have you washed your hands?

Newer posts