TV Home Forum

BBC TWO Christmas 2015 presentation

Retro idents, eh? (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonny
They used to be unbelievably good at sound and visual design harmony too, that's why it's so annoying.
Nathan, Paul Clark and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
10pm, and it turns out they couldn't refrain from reusing last year's again, only they've sodomised it by abandoning the wonderful sound design in favour of the two-ing.
WI
Wicko
10pm, and it turns out they couldn't refrain from reusing last year's again, only they've sodomised it by abandoning the wonderful sound design in favour of the two-ing.

Yes, I thought "FFS! Enough already!" All the idents they could use and they use the one that everyone wanted to not see!
AS
Asa Admin
How to ruin those lovely 2011 idents in one easy step. What on earth were they thinking? It there some odd licensing agreement over music which meant they felt they needed to just give all of them the same one?

Great to see the old ones back in the mix but another 4 weeks of that tune. Yeesh Shocked
NA
Nathan
Just a regular ident into newsnight, really?
WI
Wicko

Yes. It really annoyed me. Either you go into Christmas mode or you don't.
AR
Argybargy
Wicko posted:

I recall a similar situation in 2013 when BBC1 launched their Christmas pres (the wrapping paper ones) but for the first 2-3 days used normal idents for the news junctions.

I guess the problem BBC2 have this year is that their "two-two" singing jingle is considered too "cheery" to precede Newsnight. Even if they had decided to use, say, the 2000 ident (the skiing 2s) with its original soundtrack then you could argue what was the point of updating the soundtrack in the first place? Particularly as the original one was fine and perfectly suitable to use again.

I wonder how many of the classic idents they will be using this Christmas? We've seen three so far this evening. I was surprised to see the 2002 "snow 2" making a comeback. I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time we've seen one of the yellow 2 idents since the package was discontinued in 2007.
JO
Jonny
Asa posted:
Great to see the old ones back in the mix but another 4 weeks of that tune. Yeesh Shocked

I actually posted a joke video in 2013 after they Alt-J'd the Windows idents about how the Christmas ident might be similarly incongruously adapted, well if they haven't just almost gone and done that.

Yes it's all a quirky laugh but a 5 week campaign long joke? Really? That's ballsy.

When creativity is at such a premium you're reduced to rescuing idents from previous campaigns you could at the very least get the execution/delivery spot on.

Wicko posted:

That's the only sensible decision made all night.
CA
Cavan
The 2001 Christmas ident was used on BBC TWO NI just now.
LT
LTSC1980
Now I miss BBC Two's Christmas Idents from last year. Sad.

Scrooge really loves BBC Two.
http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/bbctwo/images_idents/2007/bbc2xmas2008.jpg
VM
VMPhil
I feel like it's not really my place to judge whether these idents are good or not, since I rarely watch BBC One and Two as it is, but I'm disappointed about BBC Two in particular as I thought we might be getting some classic Christmas idents. We are, but they're butchered all due to the soundtrack.

Oh well, there's always next year…

*Looks forward to 2016 idents featuring dubstep remixes*
Rory and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
LT
LTSC1980
After looking at cards, I'm pretty sure they should have used last year's ident without any edit.

Newer posts