Media Websites

ITV Hub

Replaces itv.com and ITV Player (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
pad
That's nice.

However, I'm not arsed about social media integration, personalisation, and all those complications you list. I can watch last week's X Factor, it looks fine on my iPad or on the telly, and despite what you seem to think, it's *really* easy to use. And whilst technically all the things you list would be impressive, their target audience is my mum wanting to watch Emmerdale, and I'm not sure it's in their interest to make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

More features doesn't need to mean more complicated. And just because you don't need personalisation or "complications" does not mean others don't. Social media integration with shows would be a logical step in this generation of social media savvy TV viewers. Something as simple as an optional hashtag or 'what people are saying' section.

Personalisation is a great idea as well - you get your ITV account, follow your favourite shows, and get notified when new episodes are available. Keep a back log of Corrie episodes or a new drama series to binge watch when you're ready, and so on. Watch on any device. Start on computer, finish on smart phone. Sync between devices via ITV ID. Get recommended shows based on your viewing history. Monthly subscription (optional) for archive access/box sets/classic series and maybe even ad-free if they cost it properly.

If ITV were truly taking the VOD stuff seriously and being more astute about this method of consumption's growing popularity, they would seek not only to make an easy-to-use product, but one with real capabilities available. They're missing a trick not offering a subscription service with access to classic series like Cold Feet and so on.

The new service is still not even a patch on the BBC iPlayer or Netflix and for that reason, ITV are yet again missing the boat on delivering a compelling product that can serve as a viable alternative/established equal to linear TV. They are doing both the viewers and themselves a disservice, especially considering the wealth of old/classic content/series across drama, factual and more that could be available and monetised with ads.

Just my opinion, it's clear you don't agree and that's fine, but don't infer I'm being unreasonable in hoping ITV provides these features, as frankly they will eventually, and the time should be now.
Last edited by pad on 20 October 2015 6:39pm - 2 times in total
DA
daybreakfan45
pad posted:
That's nice.

However, I'm not arsed about social media integration, personalisation, and all those complications you list. I can watch last week's X Factor, it looks fine on my iPad or on the telly, and despite what you seem to think, it's *really* easy to use. And whilst technically all the things you list would be impressive, their target audience is my mum wanting to watch Emmerdale, and I'm not sure it's in their interest to make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

More features doesn't need to mean more complicated. And just because you don't need personalisation or "complications" does not mean others don't. Social media integration with shows would be a logical step in this generation of social media savvy TV viewers. Something as simple as an optional hashtag or 'what people are saying' section.

Personalisation is a great idea as well - you get your ITV account, follow your favourite shows, and get notified when new episodes are available. Keep a back log of Corrie episodes or a new drama series to binge watch when you're ready, and so on. Watch on any device. Start on computer, finish on smart phone. Sync between devices via ITV ID. Get recommended shows based on your viewing history. Monthly subscription (optional) for archive access/box sets/classic series and maybe even ad-free if they cost it properly.

If ITV were truly taking the VOD stuff seriously and being more astute about this method of consumption's growing popularity, they would seek not only to make an easy-to-use product, but one with real capabilities available. They're missing a trick not offering a subscription service with access to classic series like Cold Feet and so on.

The new service is still not even a patch on the BBC iPlayer or Netflix and for that reason, ITV are yet again missing the boat on delivering a compelling product that can serve as a viable alternative/established equal to linear TV. They are doing both the viewers and themselves a disservice, especially considering the wealth of old/classic content/series across drama, factual and more that could be available and monetised with ads.

Just my opinion, it's clear you don't agree and that's fine, but don't infer I'm being unreasonable in hoping ITV provides these features, as frankly they will eventually, and the time should be now.

Excellent post, some good ideas on how ITV can improve its rubbish OD service.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
pad posted:
They're missing a trick not offering a subscription service with access to classic series like Cold Feet and so on.

I suspect it would be more lucrative to partner with Netflix or Amazon. There is a limit to how many content services people are prepared to pay a subscription for, and ITV have probably missed the boat. I think they would do better to put their content on the established platforms, which I imagine will pay them a fee each time it is watched.

25 days later

TW
tweedledum
The ITV Hub will launch next Tuesday, with a big marketing push.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/itv-backs-new-vod-service-hub-ad-push/1373454
PA
pad
The ITV Hub will launch next Tuesday, with a big marketing push.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/itv-backs-new-vod-service-hub-ad-push/1373454

Weird, it looks different to the ITV beta.

Presumably swipe only available on tablets and phones?

Interesting to see what happens - it's being revealed tonight.
AG
AxG
I like the swipe feature, but depends if you get adverts after each swipe.
PA
pad
ITV Hub launches Tuesday.

http://www.itv.com/hub - the URL appears to be the new default.

Wonder whether all the programme information/sites will be worked in on Tuesday as it's been confirmed this product completely replaces ITV.com.
MA
Macalolo
pad posted:

Wonder whether all the programme information/sites will be worked in on Tuesday as it's been confirmed this product completely replaces ITV.com.

I imagine the pages will remain the same - the current "shows" section has a link "more from this show" which directs to the dedicated page
PA
pad
pad posted:

I imagine the pages will remain the same - the current "shows" section has a link "more from this show" which directs to the dedicated page

Maybe - but according to this article, "the PC version will merge ITV’s on-demand pages and programme websites."

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/11/new-itv-hub-launching-24th-november.html
TO
tomo359
The site has relaunched today. The homepage is now the main page. Going to itv.com/player goes back to the homepage, so no separate ITV Player any more.

When ads are playing there still isn't any indication of how many ads there are going to be, or how long each ad is.
Full screen quality seems better, but still not brilliant.
When in full screen, the mouse cursor doesn't seem to disappear.
When watching standard video (not full screen), the background does not fade and no option to do so, its just bright grey.
Not many ads at the start of a programme, but each inner break had about 6 30 sec ads which seems a lot.

Videos seem to play well though, videos played straight away, no or little buffering, when skipping to another section it played nearly straight away.

Also, have they scrapped that pay service, which allowed you to watch archive shows etc by paying for them?
I never used this service, but I thought this was something they would try to develop, but I can't see any mention of it now.

On a separate note, they still fail miserably at the weather on the website, still just linking to videos of the tv weather programme. Why can't they get this right? Have a way to put your post code or location in and show a breakdown of hourly weather like other weather sites manage to do?
Last edited by tomo359 on 23 November 2015 10:34am - 3 times in total
LL
London Lite Founding member
Using Firefox, the live streams work, yet still sub-standard SD. As for catch-up, I can get the ads to work, but then doesn't stream the programme selected.

ITV Player is still on the NOW TV box.
PA
pad
Also looks like they've update show pages like the Emmerdale site with a new menu bar and a new "Episodes" / "On Next" link.

ITV Player becomes ITV Hub app on iOS too.

Was hoping you didn't have to sit through ads to watch live TV but you still do.

Newer posts