The Gallery

BBC News - Rebrand 10

Follow on from my previous mock (November 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
dbl posted:
The gradient used on the strap transition is really jarring. It doesn't look good.

Really, I feel it give it colour and makes each show stand out.

To me it looks amateur. There's some designs that gets away with obvious gradients, in this case it doesn't.
NE
newswatcher101
I think these look fantastic, they look brilliant on mobile devices which is great for future BBC News graphics.
NI
Nicky
I have to take issue with you calling this a "rebrand". It isn't a rebrand - it just looks like minor tweaks to the same graphics BBC News have used for years and years.

The first video makes it hard to give you proper feedback - it looks similar to the usual title sequence but watered down and with different colours. It's not quite a mock and not quite a recreation either. The Breakfast titles are nicer. But again they look identical to what is currently in use on screen - hardly a genuine mock. What is your reason for dropping the 'BBC' from the programme title?

I'm really not too keen on "The Very Best of BBC News - Vol. 1"-style countdown visuals you've put together. I'd rather the focus remained on the reporters and the processes of newsgathering rather than the 'look at our wonderful presenters and studio'.

I don't think presenters' first and last names should be separated in the way that you've done it. Makes it look like an interview with someone who wants to be known only as 'Simon' but doesn't mind letting people know he makes a living as a 'McCoy'. Same with 'Aaron' who's an employee of the well-known 'Heslehurst' company.

That 'LIVE' transition is very Good Morning Britain - I'd suggest to avoid using that programme for inspiration when it comes to graphics. It also appears you've borrowed the aston gradient from ITV News, but unlike theirs (which works quite well), your version doesn't really look appealing. You say "it give it colour" [sic] but it really doesn't need it, the focus should be on functionality and clarity rather than tacky transitions.

Sorry but those Film Review titles aren't 'simple', they're hideously basic. There's next to no effort put in here.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Nicky posted:
I have to take issue with you calling this a "rebrand". It isn't a rebrand - it just looks like minor tweaks to the same graphics BBC News have used for years and years.

The first video makes it hard to give you proper feedback - it looks similar to the usual title sequence but watered down and with different colours. It's not quite a mock and not quite a recreation either.

Well it can't call it a BBC News 'thing' can I so, so what should i call it? it has to be one or the other

Nicky posted:
The Breakfast titles are nicer. But again they look identical to what is currently in use on screen - hardly a genuine mock. What is your reason for dropping the 'BBC' from the programme title?

Well I had to remake the titles for 1) the red white and blue, 2) the reposition of the box and 3) people keep moaning i should use After Effects so i thought 'let's have a try'. As i said i dropped the 'BBC' from BBC Breakfast as we being welcomed they usually (or at least when i've seen it) say "Welcome to Breakfast with..." so it makes sense plus I don't hear many people call it BBC Breakfast.

Nicky posted:
I'm really not too keen on "The Very Best of BBC News - Vol. 1"-style countdown visuals you've put together. I'd rather the focus remained on the reporters and the processes of newsgathering rather than the 'look at our wonderful presenters and studio'.

Well, the countdown (as well as the whole mock) won't please everyone, I mostly used the London footage and the Programmes since again i repositioned the logo and wouldn't have been able to get clean footage of the countdown.

Nicky posted:
That 'LIVE' transition is very Good Morning Britain - I'd suggest to avoid using that programme for inspiration when it comes to graphics. It also appears you've borrowed the aston gradient from ITV News, but unlike theirs (which works quite well), your version doesn't really look appealing. You say "it give it colour" [sic] but it really doesn't need it, the focus should be on functionality and clarity rather than tacky transitions.

I didn't really take inspiration from GMB or ITV News (the live wipe maybe could have been subconsciously GMB) I was experimenting with aston animations and with my position of the box i could fit 27 1cm boxes i started with a blue, red, white, blue, red, white... then i thought it was maybe better to do a gradient.

Nicky posted:
those Film Review titles aren't 'simple', they're hideously basic. There's next to no effort put in here.

Would the titles be better if the film animated. Or should i add a 5, 4, etc.
CL
CoreyLHughes
Ill be honest, by removing the news footage along with the reporters, you've robbed the countdown of it's emotive power. A flashing police convoy behind a frantic news reporter is far more effective than Victoria Derbyshire walking to a touch screen. It also takes away the feeling that what people are watching is a news channel which aims to be first for breaking news output - well, at least that's what it is supposed to be.
UBox, Justin and Nicky gave kudos
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Ill be honest, by removing the news footage along with the reporters, you've robbed the countdown of it's emotive power. A flashing police convoy behind a frantic news reporter is far more effective than Victoria Derbyshire walking to a touch screen. It also takes away the feeling that what people are watching is a news channel which aims to be first for breaking news output - well, at least that's what it is supposed to be.

Yet a big 90 second countdown on a background is emotive enough

CL
CoreyLHughes
Your right, its dull in comparison to the current countdown - therefore showing things have progressed since. Why take all that away and replace it with lingering images of the newsroom and the studios. It doesn't represent the selling point of the news channel. I'm just saying, it seems a step backwards.
VM
VMPhil

Yet a big 90 second countdown on a background is emotive enough

Although of course that countdown was designed with the intention of superimposing the day's programme menu over the top, like the original 1997 countdown - back when News 24 had programmes outside the usual Click, Travel Show and Our World
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Ok I'll admit defeat on the countdown, I thought it was good idea but if people don't like the idea I could try and do something with the reporters but as I said I'd need clean footage of reporters. Maybe a mix of reporters and programmes

when I update this I might make two versions I'll do a just white Aston fade on but for those who like the gradients (including me) I'll do a with gradient version too.

Are there any suggestions of graphics you would like to see, maybe the new pushback.

There is another part to this mock but I'm not quite ready to upload it yet. And I know that most of you will probably shoot it down, as it is a idea that I have (and they don't usually go down very well)
CL
CoreyLHughes
I'm going to be honest. I think you should leave the countdown. If your just going to attempt to recreate it as it is, you might as well use that time to think more thoroughly about your on-screen graphics, which to be fair aren't that bad. Unless your going to unleash the countdown in an innovative form, leave it.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
I'm going to be honest. I think you should leave the countdown. If your just going to attempt to recreate it as it is, you might as well use that time to think more thoroughly about your on-screen graphics, which to be fair aren't that bad. Unless your going to unleash the countdown in an innovative form, leave it.

Maybe once I make everything I might make a video where it goes through the day and the different programmes and graphics and if I use the countdown I'll just use the one I've made but only for the logo positioning (and for my benefit).
SN
The SNT Three
Agreed on the countdown - apart from TV pres fans, the studios and programmes are by the by for most viewers. They turn to BBC News for the journalism.

I would also echo previous opinions about the gradients on the astons. It just looks cheap - there is a reason the BBC don't use Powerpoint for their graphics.

Newer posts