« Topics
Charlie Wells3,904 posts since 26 Nov 2003 Moderator
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Do they still do GCSE Bitesize or has that been phased out as well?

I believe they were at least revoiced at some point.

I recall one of the original bitesize subject celeb advise clips included Phil Jupitus saying "if you cheat be discrete" adding "what, am I not allowed to say that?". Funnily enough this clip was edited out of the following year from memory.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
Neil Jones6,481 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today

The big long 2hr broadcasts from 1998 onwards (which I remember taping and subsequently using for revision) haven't been seen for ages, and the Genome project suggests Bitesize hasn't been seen in any format since November 2009, though the website can't make up its mind whether it's been mothballed or not.

The last 2hr broadcast appears to be November 2007, according to Genome.
VMPhil10,406 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today

The big long 2hr broadcasts from 1998 onwards (which I remember taping and subsequently using for revision) haven't been seen for ages, and the Genome project suggests Bitesize hasn't been seen in any format since November 2009, though the website can't make up its mind whether it's been mothballed or not.

The last 2hr broadcast appears to be November 2007, according to Genome.

Bear in mind that Genome itself only goes up to the end of 2009, so you'd have to look at the listings on the main BBC website to see if it's been aired since then

It appears they're still commissioning content: http://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/scotland/bitesize-commissioning-briefs

If you read the briefs, those are for online projects, which suggests Bitesize will live on online.

Quote:
We want to commission short online videos to help students studying Art and Design across GCSE in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and for National 4 and 5 qualifications in Scotland.
buster1,850 posts since 15 Mar 2006
London London
GCSE Bitesize quickly went out of date - they used to have little spots in between modules where celebs would give revision hints, which of course given it was 1998 included the likes of Cleopatra, Peter Andre, Noel Edmonds and the Leprechauns from Live and Kicking, all of whom had disappeared within a couple of years. I think they did do some re-edits to keep up with the changes in the curriculum, thankfully...

I think Noel did a thing where he showed how he remembered the House Party running order without a script to hand or earpiece, which was quite interesting actually!

And that long version of the Learning Zone ident - I'm sure that was dropped years and years ago, possibly around the 2004 relaunch when the hours changed, and I always assumed it was because those bits had aged badly. Interesting if it came out of retirement for that last airing...
And that long version of the Learning Zone ident - I'm sure that was dropped years and years ago, possibly around the 2004 relaunch when the hours changed, and I always assumed it was because those bits had aged badly. Interesting if it came out of retirement for that last airing...

The Learning Zone's "acorn dropping" ident/package was never dropped. It actually remained as the last bastion of the 1997 package long after everything else had been rebranded at least twice. It probably holds the record for the longest running presentation package ever on the BBC, at 18 years.

There were usually only two elements to the overnight Learning Zone on BBC Two, typically the acorn ident (which had a full version and a trimmed version (the growing leaves only). The other element was the menus, typically shown over a background of falling acorns which IIRC could be different colours on different days (I presume there was a reason for this but I never found out what it was).