TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mromega
New Sky Movies Christmas advert. Follows the style of last year but the execution is pretty much flawless.
NW
nwtv2003
It appears as of tonight, the new modified (big 1) Sky 1 logo is being used, as the 7pm ident going into The Simpsons had it (although they continue to use the same Ruth Jones/Stella ident), the promos have the new logo, but the breakbumper remained the same.

Also worth nothing Sky1 showed 'You Only Move Twice' at 6.30pm and it was in HD, which they've kept quiet, it appears the whole of that series has been remastered by the looks of things.
FO
fodg09
I wonder will Atlantic switch over to the new logo when The Last Panthers starts on Thursday or if it will end up being mishmash of styles.
ED
edmund
It appears as of tonight, the new modified (big 1) Sky 1 logo is being used, as the 7pm ident going into The Simpsons had it (although they continue to use the same Ruth Jones/Stella ident), the promos have the new logo, but the breakbumper remained the same.

The new logo has been in use since the 30th of September with the introduction of the You, Me and the Apocalypse ident. A second ident featuring the new larger logo was introduced on the 19 of October for The Muppets. Only one of the promos are using the new logo (After Hours).

In total 4 idents are now in use, two using the new logo and two using the old.
1. You, Me and the Apocalypse
2. The Muppets
3. Arrow
4. Stella
BB
BBCME Founding member
Tonight's episode of The Simpsons at 6:30 on Sky1 appeared to be in widescreen. It was the one where the family moved to Cypress Creek and Homer starts working for a super-villain - 'You Only Move Twice' from 1996.

It looked 16:9 zoomed in. Old episodes are usually broadcast in 4:3. Seemed a bit unusual.
VM
VMPhil
BBCME posted:
Tonight's episode of The Simpsons at 6:30 on Sky1 appeared to be in widescreen. It was the one where the family moved to Cypress Creek and Homer starts working for a super-villain - 'You Only Move Twice' from 1996.

It looked 16:9 zoomed in. Old episodes are usually broadcast in 4:3. Seemed a bit unusual.

The Simpsons was shown in high definition for the FXX marathon in America last year, and there were complaints about the cropping then. I imagine these are those new copies now making their way overseas.

From screenshots posted online it seems the quality is much improved, it's just a shame it's been cropped.

JA
james-2001
Considering how many other US series that have been shown over here remastered into HD keep their 4:3 ratio intact (Cheers, Star Trek TNG, Murder She Wrote, Kojak amongst others), why couldn't they have done that with The Simpsons?
SD
sda|
Slightly off-topic but anyway- The new Mr. Bean masters that ITV2 showed last xmas were cropped and zoomed to hell, even the official youtube channel doesn't use them! Probably because these are family/kids shows that still get an airing and people don't want black bars or know how to delve into their tv's ratio settings... See also Wallace and Gromit.
JA
JAS84
Considering how many other US series that have been shown over here remastered into HD keep their 4:3 ratio intact (Cheers, Star Trek TNG, Murder She Wrote, Kojak amongst others), why couldn't they have done that with The Simpsons?
Because they're idiots. These are the same idiots who axed the DVDs because of the existence of a streaming service with every episode on it - despite said service not being available outside the United States!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
sda| posted:
Slightly off-topic but anyway- The new Mr. Bean masters that ITV2 showed last xmas were cropped and zoomed to hell, even the official youtube channel doesn't use them! Probably because these are family/kids shows that still get an airing and people don't want black bars or know how to delve into their tv's ratio settings... See also Wallace and Gromit.

They're not "new", they've been like that ever since Mr Bean was moved to ITV2 from ITV3, where it is (was?) presented properly in its original format.

Last I checked the first two of the Wallace & Gromit films are 4:3 (Grand Day Out & Wrong Trousers), everything else is widescreen. Why, who's airing cropped W&G?
VM
VMPhil
sda| posted:

They're not "new", they've been like that ever since Mr Bean was moved to ITV2 from ITV3, where it is (was?) presented properly in its original format.

Last I checked the first two of the Wallace & Gromit films are 4:3 (Grand Day Out & Wrong Trousers), everything else is widescreen. Why, who's airing cropped W&G?

Of the initial three films, A Grand Day Out and A Close Shave are in 4:3 HD but for some reason The Wrong Trousers is shown in 14:9 HD (both on Virgin On Demand and when I've seen them on BBC One HD).
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I stand corrected. IMDB lists Wrong Trousers as having a 1:37:1 aspect ratio as opposed to the 1:33:1 that would be a 4:3 picture.

1:37:1 is the Academy ratio on 16mm film, and Wrong Trousers was done on this format, which may explain why it's a 14:9 presentation.

Newer posts