The Newsroom

Bradby at Ten

ITN Presenter Shake-Up (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Michael
Tom is great the new Trevor or Burnett great for itv's brand. NaT already seems to be getting a ratings boost too!

The ratings "boost" is just puffery on ITV's part. And to compare Bradby to Messrs McDonald and Burnett is to compare Aldi's own brand yoghurt to a soufflee prepared by a chef at the Dorchester.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Tom is great the new Trevor or Burnett great for itv's brand. NaT already seems to be getting a ratings boost too!

I'm a huge fan of ITN but even I wouldn't go that far! Burnet he most definitely is not!! The only people to have come close to Burnet in recent times are Alastair Stewart and John Suchet. Even Trevor wasn't that great, in my opinion. He was a competent newscaster but didn't have the relaxed, innate on air skills of Suchet or Stewart. Bradby isn't even in the same league - he's probably one of the worst newscasters ITN has ever had. I'd even rather watch Mark Austin and I've never been a big fan of his either. At least he doesn't come across as patronising and arrogant.
TR
TROGGLES
Every now and then a presenter starts to believe his own PR guff and his ego gets way out of hand. Mr Bradbury that is you at the moment.
JU
thejules

I'm a huge fan of ITN but even I wouldn't go that far! Burnet he most definitely is not!! The only people to have come close to Burnet in recent times are Alastair Stewart and John Suchet. Even Trevor wasn't that great, in my opinion. He was a competent newscaster but didn't have the relaxed, innate on air skills of Suchet or Stewart. Bradby isn't even in the same league - he's probably one of the worst newscasters ITN has ever had. I'd even rather watch Mark Austin and I've never been a big fan of his either. At least he doesn't come across as patronising and arrogant.

The show needed a fresh face and a new style Tom's got character and he's a personality he will improve after all the guy's only been in the job a matter of weeks! Most contributors would agree that he's settling down into the role.
SC
Schwing

I must be imagining the post in which you were dismissive of Trevor McDonald. Something about him just "reading an autocue"... Care to explain your volte-face?

I'm still hoping to discover why you think he's an "intellectual".

The show needed a fresh face and a new style Tom's got character and he's a personality he will improve after all the guy's only been in the job a matter of weeks! Most contributors would agree that he's settling down into the role.

You say he's a "personality". In what way is that of any benefit to the viewers when explaining the latest out of Egypt? Will he do impressions of David Cameron, Vladimir Putin and President Sisi during his links? Maybe a song and dance routine?
Last edited by Schwing on 7 November 2015 8:57pm - 3 times in total
IS
Isonstine Founding member
There's nothing wrong with Tom Bradby in himself... just his toe curling journalese and patronising language that has littered his reports for many years and now appears to be acceptable introducing reports on what ITV wants to be its "flagship" news programme.
Last edited by Isonstine on 7 November 2015 9:39pm
JU
thejules
The battle of the bongs

BBC News has become a swaggering behemoth — now we’re taking the fight to them, writes Tom Bradby, the new presenter of ITV’s News at Ten

Bradby says News at Ten is one of the great institutions of British public lifeBradby says News at Ten is one of the great institutions of British public life

[[Mod snip - please don't copy and paste entire articles from websites, especially if they're partially behind a 'paywall'. Post a link to the article instead.
Article: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1630155.ece ]]
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
What a load of tripe
NG
noggin Founding member
Everything that is wrong with the new News at Ten in a nutshell : "The facts are on Google or any number of websites. We need to give you so much more than that." Not everyone is glued to online news sources. The facts are still a very good place to start in News reporting. We really don't need a US-style 'personality' culture in TV News.

The worry is that Bradby thinks he is talking normally... He really isn't... He still delivers Autocue with that dreadful random emphasis of random words, and in a way that is far from conversational.

And "The BBC moved into our slot, thus combining our heritage with its own. It was clever and, one might say, cynical."

Sorry - it ceased to be your slot when you, one might say, cynically abandoned it for "News at When"... You can't have your cake and eat it. You can't reserve a slot after you've vacated it. You went for advertiser money over public service.

The BBC had an issue scheduling post-watershed drama. Moving the Nine to Ten allowed them to run 60 minute post-watershed drama before the News. It solved a real scheduling problem for them - and means programmes like Doctor Foster get scheduled at a time people watch...
Last edited by noggin on 8 November 2015 10:14am - 4 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member
thejules - could I suggest some attribution to that cut and paste job?
tmorgan96, bilky asko and Brekkie gave kudos
CU
Custard56
thejules - could I suggest some attribution to that cut and paste job?

It's from today's Sunday Times. It's a Focus piece, i.e. a huge page advert for itv. The article also has a prominent promotional "puffer" on the front page of the paper, along the lines of "Tom Bradby takes on the BBC". It's gone in my recycling bin already (I wouldn't have bought it, but for the other sections.)

The piece smacks of arrogance and cynical desperation in what they know is the most popular Sunday broadsheet: "Please watch me and give me a chance. I'm good, you know."
Last edited by Custard56 on 8 November 2015 10:53am - 4 times in total
bkman1990, GMc and Schwing gave kudos
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
Well it hasn't convinced me. I still stand by my opinion that ITV have made a huge mistake and that Bradby is out of his depth

Newer posts