TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure the latter would warrant the email to punters and the build up.
orange and bilky asko gave kudos
ED
edmund
The new Sky Atlantic Italia idents. Not a fan of the logo formation..

GE
thegeek Founding member
Or could it be they are rolling out dynamic ad breaks into live channels (with ad breaks stored on the Sky+ HD being triggered to drop into slots?)

Are they not doing this already? Can't say I watch much of their channels live, but a friend who works there was talking about it a few years ago.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Or could it be they are rolling out dynamic ad breaks into live channels (with ad breaks stored on the Sky+ HD being triggered to drop into slots?)

Are they not doing this already? Can't say I watch much of their channels live, but a friend who works there was talking about it a few years ago.

Already doing it and have done for a while. It's called AdSmart and its only on the Sky channels and a select few others.
http://www.skymedia.co.uk/sky-adsmart/

The neat thing for advertisers if one records a programme that has an AdSmart slot in it and you play it back months/years later, the ad in question is a current one, not one of the ones that was around at the time of the recording.

There's no mention of it on the site but I dare say if the hard drive packs up or is non existant in the Sky+ box, AdSmart can't work so you'll just get a generic ad instead.
MR
mromega

Already doing it and have done for a while. It's called AdSmart and its only on the Sky channels and a select few others.

The neat thing for advertisers if one records a programme that has an AdSmart slot in it and you play it back months/years later, the ad in question is a current one, not one of the ones that was around at the time of the recording.

There's no mention of it on the site but I dare say if the hard drive packs up or is non existant in the Sky+ box, AdSmart can't work so you'll just get a generic ad instead.

Also rolling out PromoSmart now, which as it suggests will automatically enable targetted promos to be delivered.
bilky asko and noggin gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member

I think they've been doing it for Sky+ recordings but didn't think/know it was for live viewing.
BR
Brekkie

Also rolling out PromoSmart now, which as it suggests will automatically enable targetted promos to be delivered.

Although surely the danger there is if it really works they'll end up just advertising the shows the person would watch anyway.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Although surely the danger there is if it really works they'll end up just advertising the shows the person would watch anyway.

Why is it a danger? I'm going to watch Russell Howard's Good News on Thursday night, does that mean I should change channel every time his trailer comes on because I know I'm going to watch it?

A recent Sky+ update already tells you what it thinks you're going to like based on what you're recording/viewing and tells you where those programmes can be found - through the EPG or On Demand - so PromoSmart is the next logical step.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I think they've been doing it for Sky+ recordings but didn't think/know it was for live viewing.

The FAQ page says "with the exception of live programming", which suggests to me that you'll get targeted ads on linear channels, but not news, sport, Thronecast, or whatever other live content have these days.
DV
dvboy
That's probably because of timing.
BR
Brekkie
Will viewers be able to opt out of it. Also interesting about them being available on recorded programming - can see that opening the way for them forcing ads on people viewing through Sky+.
NW
nwtv2003
Will viewers be able to opt out of it. Also interesting about them being available on recorded programming - can see that opening the way for them forcing ads on people viewing through Sky+.

I think you can on the settings on your account on Sky's website, I'm sure mine's is opted in.

It is odd to see super local adverts on Sky channels and others such as FOX. I mean it's not everyday you see an advert in HD, for Honda and to be told your nearest dealership is in Warrington (no other places listed). Occasionally you do see adverts that are on ITV regionally too, there was one for Spooky World (again in Warrington) that is often advertised on Granada.

Newer posts