The Gallery

ITV Weekend (UPDATED 19/10)

Updated with V4.2 (May 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
And yes, yes I do have a lot to learn. Mainly because I'm not a graphic designer. I'm an estate agent, not a graphic designer. I want to learn though, which is what I am trying to do.

I know you're getting a bit of a tough time in this thread, but you posted you were doing your GCSEs back in March, so to go from that to being an estate agent in seven months is quite an achievement.
AA
Aaron_2015
And yes, yes I do have a lot to learn. Mainly because I'm not a graphic designer. I'm an estate agent, not a graphic designer. I want to learn though, which is what I am trying to do.

I know you're getting a bit of a tough time in this thread, but you posted you were doing your GCSEs back in March, so to go from that to being an estate agent in seven months is quite an achievement.

It's an sixth form course/apprenticeship, so not a fully trained estate agent, but a training one.
NI
Nicky
It's an sixth form course/apprenticeship, so not a fully trained estate agent, but a training one.

Oh right - so the 'teenage' comments WEREN'T as inaccurate as you implied, then?

Perhaps JamesCraker could help you out. Zipper

You're clearly under some misapprehension that the best designs in this forum come from people who are actually employed in the industry as graphic designers. That is simply not the case. The only differences between you/your cronies and the better TVF mockers is that the better ones have a thorough understanding of the topic and therefore generally avoid such careless errors as misaligned text, poor font choices and garish colour schemes.

This isn't the place to learn about graphic design, it's a place to display what you already know about it. I thought that much was obvious. But why not help yourself by taking a look at some of the "Outstanding" mocks and seeing what can be achieved?
AA
Aaron_2015
Except 17 is not 12, is it?

People who are good mockers don't just become good mockers. At some point, there was a development in skills. Whether that was on the forum or not, 5* mockers learnt their skills from somewhere.

The only way I can learn and develop is through this forum, I''m not lucky enough to have somewhere else to learn from. This is why I would like useful responses. I have learnt a huge amount since joining this forum, going from crappy 1* GMB mocks to 3* mocks. I only improved because I was told how improve. I need that again, to get to 4* or even 5* mocks. That is what I'm not getting at the moment.
JT
JamesTV
Aaron_2015 & JamesCracker sticking up for each other just makes me cringe... The teenage clang. How old are you two?! 13?! 12?

Who's JamesCracker?
You may want to check your spelling before attempting to insult.
CA
Cavan
Who's JamesCracker?

This is relevant how?
NI
Nicky
Except 17 is not 12, is it?

And I repeat: the 'teenage' comments WEREN'T as inaccurate as you implied, then? Rolling Eyes

I have learnt a huge amount since joining this forum, going from crappy 1* GMB mocks to 3* mocks. I only improved because I was told how improve.

I'm sorry to say that really doesn't seem to be the case. I cannot identify a single jot of improvement in your mocks since then, which is why you're not getting any positive response. The truly sad thing is that your 3-star ratings probably result from allies or sympathisers unfairly rating up your mocks.

We're just going round and round in circles now. There are hundreds of books out there on the topic of graphic design on TV. Find one you like and study it closely.
PA
pad
Perhaps we should ask Asa do make ratings in the gallery public so we can see who voted what. I'm fascinated to see if any votes are from unused accounts, and so on.
JT
JamesTV
Cavan posted:
Who's JamesCracker?

This is relevant how?

I'm giving him constructive criticism like people should be giving forum members. And I'm giving an example of the little things that people complain about on here, but they don't actually provide information on how to improve. Why can't TVForum The Gallery be a more friendly community? Some of us are young and are learning, yet we are treated as if you expect us to know everything. Please be nice.

Now hopefully we can all get back on topic and help Aaron improve.
NI
Nicky
Friendliness is not an option when we're dealing with imitative designs, poor reception to feedback and downright compulsive lying.

Now hopefully we can all get back on topic and help Aaron improve.

We can't - he doesn't accept feedback, only sycophantic comments from you and the other teens on here.
SR
SomeRandomStuff
This constant bickering is pathetic.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Well, firstly, allow me to tell you how my last half-hour or so has panned out:

*browses TV Forum*
"Goodness - this Weekend mock only had eight pages of comments yesterday - today's there's a whole two pages more! There must have been some significant update on this. Let's see what it was..."

*a little time later*
"Oh. It was two pages of "you never take advice", "yes I do", "you don't, and you're young", "not that young", "yeah, well, still quite young..."

Goodness. It's certainly been an interesting read, though maybe one which would have been more at home in a school playground than on a supposed serious, adult television forum.

Anyway - I'm here to break up the preponderance of off-topic drivel, (not add to it), with some *gasp* actual feedback . You can take or leave these comments. These are merely my opinions.

1. Open: I am not massively keen on the open on the whole. I think the use of the Daybreak 2012 music is as good as any for this type of programme, though I dislike the inconsistency between the 'MIGRANT CRISIS' and 'WRITING('S) ON THE WALL REVEALED' graphics. I get the 'serious blue and teal for news' and 'multi-coloured for showbiz stuff' idea, but for me, choosing one idea/set of colours that works across all of Weekend's varied features/interviews and creating consistent graphics which could be used for any feature would be better. Think of 'This Morning'; they go from a serious discussion about child abuse to having Gok Wan talking about which colour dress makes you look least fat. Yet they use they same graphics throughout and don't ever feel out of place.

2. Contact Us: I like the idea of this clearly GMB-inspired graphic to alert viewers to the ways in which one can contact the show, but the execution lets it down. Look closely at the "itv.com/weekend" and "weekend@itv.com" boxes as they animate in and how much space is left between them and the "contact us" box above. It's noticeably different, and henceforth looks poor. Annoyingly so, as I like the idea of it! Sort that out, though, and I will like the idea and execution of it.

3. Show logo: I personally dislike the fact the 'week' is bold and the 'end' is not. Personal preference. Change it or don't. Same with the typeface... there has been much discussion on your choice of typeface, and, in particular, the 'W' character. If I were to create a mock where the 'W' is so prominent, I would not use whatever typeface this is, but, if you have your heart set on it, I don't see it as a 'make or break' choice.

4. Clock: I like the clock a lot. Nice light teal/turquoise colour used, looks smart. I find myself wondering if you could smarten it up by having a Daybreak 2012-inspired graphic with two layers, 'Weekend' on top, and the clock immediately underneath? With such a white set (see point six), I fear it could be pretty much invisible for much of the show as it is.

5. General graphics: Text needs to be moved towards the right on the 'coming up on GMB/Lorraine' graphics as it looks odd being so close to the left. Such a simple thing but has a big impact. Your open graphics do not have this problem.

6. Set: It looks to me, I'm sorry to say, to be incredibly boring and colourless. Everything is white - the walls, the sofa, the little bits on the table... Even the bits of colour you've added are a mottled white/blue pattern which does very little to extinguish the overall drabness. I think you seriously need to incorporate some colour into this. If I were you, I'd take that greeny colour you've used for the clock graphic and, as a minimum, change the carpets and cushions to that colour, as well as adding perhaps some stripes on the walls to break up the wall-to-wall white.

On the whole, a mock not deserving of ridicule by any means. There were a number of things I liked about it, but, as I have listed, a number of (albeit generally fairly minor) points to work on, most notably, the insipid set and the inconsistent graphics in terms of their position on screen, alignment and colour schemes used.

I have spent a lot of time looking at your video and thinking about how I could offer decent, usable comments in order for you to improve. I hope you find it useful.
Brekkie, FrancisIdents and Aaron_2015 gave kudos

Newer posts