The Gallery

The Crystal Maze

Mockalong (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Bail Moderator

Will you start the fans please!

So I was viewing The Gallery last week, prior to Pads mock and was thinking about doing some ITV titles seeing as I always end up doing BBC things because I'm biased that way. But then I got thinking with Channels 4's recent re-brand and their bringing back of TFI, what else could they bring back.

So I started looking into ideas for The Crystal Maze, I know it's having its "relaunch" via that kick-started thing, but what if it did end up on our screens.

In my head it would be an evening hour, similar time slot and scheduling as the million pound drop, so I've gone with a darker look and feel for the titles to start with.

So with that in mind I thought I'd do a sort of Mock-Along, where I'll post up bits as I do them and include your feedback, as well as showing my workings and how I go about creating things, and showing you all my bits and bobs that normally edit out. So for now I have the titles end sequence fairly how I want it, see the video below for more.

RO
rob Founding member
Pay attention other mockers: THIS is the standard people want to see!

As always Bail, fantastic work! Can't wait to see the rest of this!
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
This is created very well, I like this and The Crystal Maze is my favourite show of all time. I love the way the lights move/shine and the animation of the Crystal Thumbs up
SR
SomeRandomStuff
rob posted:
Pay attention other mockers: THIS is the standard people want to see!

As always Bail, fantastic work! Can't wait to see the rest of this!

100 percent agree with this.

5/5 - Outstanding. Cant wait to see more!
Nicky and bilky asko gave kudos
PA
pad
Slickly executed, and nicely presented with the commentary in the video of the mock's progression. Kudos!
Nicky, Bail and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Really like the light effect which begins the animation. Something not quite right with the end of it or the still version IMO - the middle just doesn't look quite right.

On the whole though really welcome something that is absolutely nothing to do with news on this forum.
Last edited by Brekkie on 26 October 2015 8:04pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
Really like the light effect which begins the animation. Something not quite right with the end of it or the still version IMO - the middle just doesn't look quite right.

I agree, the "moving head" light effect is really good, but the centre of the crystal needs to have some sort of texture, as it's too black. Perhaps it's not the crystal itself but the background, if it was a different colour or had more of a texture, the crystal would stand out more?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Just a suggestion... perhaps the middle of the crystal wouldn't need changing if the typeface was overlaid over it to form the logo?

Something like this:

BA
Bail Moderator
Thanks for the feedback and votes so far guys, love taking on your feedback and ideas, also happy to share the final project file when I'm done if anyone has any After Effects questions ask away.

Brekkie, Whataday, I know what you mean I've been looking at the original and some other mocks out there, as well as a the look of the crystal a little more. I do quite like the logo in the middle, but I've gone back to the original and tried it with the logo at the top as per the original titles.

Video 2, it's a 2minture mental game, the time starts as soon as you press the play button and is an automatic lock in.

BR
Brekkie
Think I prefer the text below myself but either way works. The crystal is definately getting better with each revision though still not perfect - still looks like there is a big hole in it rather than 3D.

Overall though a fantastic update of the (not quite) original logo. And although I'm no fan of rewriting the history of TV presentation the first logo was so bad I'm surprised they didn't re-edit it with the new logo for reruns.
AA
Aaron_2015
Excellent work. Good update as well. I personally prefer the text at the top, but everyone will have their own view on that.
NI
Nicky
Absolutely breathtaking! Wonderful work and I do appreciate the tweaks you're doing in response to the feedback. I am *just* about on Brekkie's side as far as the text goes - does seem more at home on the bottom but it's no big deal. That crystal is superb.

Strange to see this mock going from "Outstanding" down to 4 stars, then up again to "Outstanding" and back down again to 4 stars when it's clearly among the best!!

Newer posts