First ideas (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SR
SomeRandomStuff
P.S. I have voted tactically.

To achieve what exactly?
PA
pad
Can people here just remember to be a little bit nicer please.

As for the mocks - it would be a classic example of arguably unnecessary tweaks ruining what is pretty much a perfect look. The programme brands haven't appeared on screen for 12 years, of which for at least 5 years they still have the Lunchtime/Evening News programme names. They haven't appeared on BBC1 news bulletins for over 16 years too.

I think by using the square you've actually highlighted the limitations of it - it looks exactly like what you've done - crammed the additional woring in whether it fits or not. Personally if you're definately working the programme names into them I'd go back to the drawing board - for me I'd think of the ITV News logo and programme name as two different things and that offers far greater flexibility (e.g. "Evening News" in text across the centre with an ITV News logo at the bottom of the screen, similar to how Newsnight is done)

The astons (other than the logo) are nice enough but think they'd inevitably run into problems with the longer names and job titles, though I applaud you for doing them differently.

As for the colouring - I find the lighter blue rather cold really and actually prefer the teal. I do like the idea of changing the colour scheme for News at Ten and to be honest that it the only way I would be changing the branding - it already has different titles to the earlier bulletins but moving away from white to a darker colour scheme would set it apart further yet not pull it completely away from the brand.

P.S. I have voted tactically.

Hi Brekkie.

Thanks for your comments. I see your points re: the logo having the title in it, and think your suggestion is good.

Something more like this?

See Update 2 in original post

I do plan to take these a little bit further - probably creating my own titles using the existing theme and tweaking the colours, particularly of the Lunchtime News as per feedback.
Last edited by pad on 20 October 2015 11:50pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Something along those lines, though I'd stick to just ITV News in the astons as the programme names are difficult to read. Probably stick to one colour for the ITV News text too.

Still think you need to go somewhat back to the drawing board as not completely convinced by these - actually the News at Ten thumbnail on the menu page looks far better than the small logo confined to the centre square, so perhaps forget about centering the logo and instead (similar to the regional news I guess) use the square to break the screen up into images and background, with the programme name given the space it needs, rather than the space a square dictates. That also allows you to move the positioning of the text for each bulletin - a subtle change granted but it does help distinguish them.
PA
pad
Thanks for the constructive words. I'll go back to that trusty drawing board and see what I can do.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I must say - I really like it. Simple, consistent square-based graphics, and easy to read, while remaining 'on brand' with ITV by using their logo/Reem typeface.

I like the changes to the colour schemes depending on the time of the bulletin.

I hope you won't be dissuaded from continuing with this mock and/or posting in future due to a luke-warm repsonse thus far.

This has promise.

Keep up the good work.
PA
pad
Thanks for all the comments and votes, good and bad. Here are my newest ideas for the titles for the bulletins, based on feedback received:

See Update 3 in original post

So I've abandoned the logo including the edition name, opting for unified "ITV News" logos in the bottom third of the screen and the bulletin name in the centre.

I've also changed the colours a bit, particularly looking at the Lunchtime News so it's less garish. All the while keeping the distinctive darkening in colour through the day. I've tried to make all three titles unified but different to suit the time of day.

To Brekkie - for astons I would use the ITV News logo rather than edition names, but change the strap colours to match the bulletins. More on those to follow hopefully.

All further feedback is welcome. Smile
Last edited by pad on 23 October 2015 11:22am - 2 times in total
TW
tweedledum
There are some great ideas here, but not properly executed.

The ITV News logo at the bottom should be in one colour (preferably white). I don't like the two colours. I understand you have tried to make it fit in with the programme title, but I think it would be better horizontally.

There are some problems with spacing. The gap between NEWS and AT TEN is very small. You need to look at that.

The colours, as you have already said are a bit off - but once you have that sorted I think that this will look decent!
PA
pad
There are some great ideas here, but not properly executed.

The ITV News logo at the bottom should be in one colour (preferably white). I don't like the two colours. I understand you have tried to make it fit in with the programme title, but I think it would be better horizontally.

There are some problems with spacing. The gap between NEWS and AT TEN is very small. You need to look at that.

The colours, as you have already said are a bit off - but once you have that sorted I think that this will look decent!

Thanks for the feedback on the latest updates. 😊 I think the colours look better than they did originally. I'm a fan of blue over teal (personal preference) so wouldn't be introducing teal back to the design.

I'll definitely look at the ITV News logo in the lower thirds and consider one line; and also the line height spacing between the NEWS / at TEN part too.

Thanks again for your feedback.
BR
Brekkie
Thanks for the update Pad.

Pretty much agree with tweedledum's assessment. Still have an issue with the programme name logos - don't think it ever looks great when you've got different sizes of text and different widths of each line. Obviously difficult to show in stills but thinking about the way the ITV News title formation animated it would be quite possible to animate it in such a way that "EVENING NEWS" appears first and changes to "itv NEWS" as the final screen forms. I just think you need something more fluid and flexible - at the moment you're limiting it to a square for the sake of it.

Also think the new images you've chosen just don't work anywhere near as well as what is on screen currently - I'm just not a fan of Big Ben in that light and there is a reason why generally ITV News limit it to the clockface.

Perhaps it might be an idea to limit your attention for now to News at Ten and then work back from there. Look at how you can make that more distinctive without diluting the current brand - and I think you're definately on the right track with using the skyline backdrop and having the clockface at the end too. Once that works then begin looking at the other bulletins.
PA
pad
Okay - so I know it won't be too pleasing to you Brekkie but I've made some tweaks but not all the ones you perhaps would have wanted.

I've changed the ITV logo from being stacked and two-tone in colour to one block colour and one line. While I do like your idea Brekkie about the ITV News coming up afterwards in the middle, I prefer it in the bottom third.

Moreover, I do like the programme names in the square. I guess it's personal preference but I'm happy with the placement and different widths of text. I have, however, made the titles larger and fixed the spacing between the two lines. It's worth noting that "News" is always the same size and the "Lunchtime / Evening / At Ten" is also the same size. So there is consistency there.

The images are at best indicative - and again Brekkie we differ in opinion about Big Ben. I think it's a great symbol for Britishness and there's no reason it can't be in all the bulletin titles. I think it's worth remembering that like the current titles, these images would shift and change a lot across the course of the titles. No image or visual motif would have too much dominance

Colour wise, I have made some small tweaks to all three.

See the original post

Aston wise they would use the ITV News logo rather than the programme title as I initially experimented; however these would change through the day. I may do these final strap designs.

In terms of the titles, I should think this will be the last time I tweak these as I am now happy with them. Appreciate all the feedback and hope people feel I've developed them sufficiently, even if they're not to everyone's tastes! It's been fun mocking again, if a bit of a daunting experience at times.
Last edited by pad on 25 October 2015 1:27am
NI
Nicky
Much better to have the ITV News logo on one line; I like the idea of the programme names in the opening sequences, and although I appreciate you're not planning to tweak again, I would prefer the names to be more prominent than you've currently put them - a bit more like the Election titles: http://www.tv-live.org.uk/features/elections/general-elections/uk-general-election-2015/itvstv-election-result-coverage-2015/itv-news-election-result-coverage-2015/

Not a fan of the astons although it's nice to see something different - how about developing a new idea based on that strap they're using to introduce reports on News at Ten at the moment?
JT
JamesTV
Brilliantly executed design. I can actually see them titles working on TV. Would be great if you could animate the titles to show how they would work on TV.

Newer posts