The Newsroom

Bring back ITN

bring back authority to ITV News, with the ITN brand (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JU
thejules
The easiest way to hammer the BBC and Sky is via the trusted ITN brand. Even if the man on the street will refer to ITV onscreen ITN oozes authority and prestige
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The easiest way to hammer the BBC and Sky is via the trusted ITN brand. Even if the man on the street will refer to ITV onscreen ITN oozes authority and prestige

It would make absolutely no difference.
SN
The SNT Three
This topic has been done to death in existing threads - I'd suggest all new members would take a look and come back when you have a contribution to make to the forum.
JU
Justin
the trusted ITN brand. Even if the man on the street will refer to ITV onscreen ITN oozes authority and prestige

The last time a news programme was branded on screen as "ITN" was around 16 years ago. Great! You've lost the demo.
RK
Rkolsen
Well if we're going with this thinking why not rename Channel 4 News and 5 News as ITN on 4 and ITN 5? Wink
JU
thejules
No 5 News and Channel 4 News should keep their separate branding and ITV News on a regional and national level should rebrand as ITN it's more succinct and distinctive than ITV News more like say CNN than ABC News etc
:-(
A former member
Everyone knows ITV provide ITV, ch4 and Five news.
VM
VMPhil
It wouldn't work because presumably you'd have to drop the 'ITV News' branding from the regional bulletins or just use 'ITV'. Doesn't make sense to confuse the branding like that.
PA
pad
I do love ITN as a brand and agree with the OP it has a lot of prestige even still.

I wouldn't be against them using the ITN name on ITV/sign offs. However it looks more like they will be possibly reintroducing the programme titles like News at Ten, Evening News and so on. It's almost like they brought back "ITV" for the main channel ditching ITV1 which was always a bit cheap.

Even though the idea of ITN brand coming back is nice, I agree with Square Eyes it would likely make no difference.
MA
Markymark
Everyone knows ITV provide ITV, ch4 and Five news.

Except they don't, it's ITN

Many (certainly not everyone) know that ITN provide ITV and C4 News, I doubt many of C5's viewers realise (or care) ITN provide their news
JU
thejules
I think if ITV plc bought out the 60% of ITN they don't own, they'd be likely to use the ITN brand for all their news.

Ultimately, investment in the product is what counts however if ITV wants to become the UK's prime time news leader again I reckon the ITN brand could take it further...
VM
VMPhil
pad posted:
I do love ITN as a brand and agree with the OP it has a lot of prestige even still.

I wouldn't be against them using the ITN name on ITV/sign offs. However it looks more like they will be possibly reintroducing the programme titles like News at Ten, Evening News and so on. It's almost like they brought back "ITV" for the main channel ditching ITV1 which was always a bit cheap.

Even though the idea of ITN brand coming back is nice, I agree with Square Eyes it would likely make no difference.

They did of course keep the ITN name around for a short while after the 1999 rebrand. 'Journalist Name Reporting' astons had an ITN logo and they signed off "for ITN" IIRC.

Newer posts