« Topics
Brekkie31,659 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Although we shouldn't automatically assume things based on ITV's previous actions. It is a very different ITV to the one of 10-15 years ago.

There is one thing in UTV's favour and that's the fact that UTV Live consistently beats BBC Newsline in the ratings quite comfortably - the only ITV region where this occurs unless I'm mistaken. Any changes to such a success story would need careful consideration.

Always interesting to see region by region breakdowns but what would be interesting to see is if this has always been the case and whether the dilusion of the ITV regional brands did affect the viewing of regional news too (though of course the 1999 schedule changes would have affected ratings in some regions too).
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
62305823,374 posts since 19 Aug 2005
I believe Home and away helped HTV, Anglia, Scottish, Grampian, and have a great lead in to the local news at 18.30. while Lookaround, Yorkshire, Med, Westcountry, HTV, London kept its news at 18pm, with home and away at 17.10.
Mr Kite888 posts since 15 Aug 2007
Granada North West Today
I wonder if it'll be a gradual change - possibly dual branded versions of the ITV idents in the spirit of the 1989 and 1999 network packages, then quietly retiring the UTV name over time.

I doubt it. Both those packages were a compromise between still independent companies keeping their own brands and also creating a cohesive network identity at the same time. Neither were without problems regarding implementation either. UTV will be wholly owned by ITVplc and so no such compromise will be necessary. I reckon it'll be more of a Grampian 'here today, gone tomorrow' sort of thing.

It probably won't happen on the day of the merger, although generic news titles for both regions and the network news were introduced on the same day Granada & Carlton merged. How it all pans out, in what order and what time scale will be interesting. It'll be like going back to the late 90s/early 00s again. Will they remove the continuity at the same time as the branding? Will transmission be moved too or will it get a stay of execution, at least for a short while, a la Central? Time will tell.
GMc2,661 posts since 15 Nov 2005
STV Central Reporting Scotland
I'm probably reading too much into this, but the URLs itvireland.com, itvireland.ie, itvireland.co.uk and itvireland.tv were registered by Michael Wilson (MD of UTV Television and UTV Ireland) back in January 2013, before the channel even launched...make of that what you will.
Rijowhi665 posts since 24 Jul 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
I'm probably reading too much into this, but the URLs itvireland.com, itvireland.ie, itvireland.co.uk and itvireland.tv were registered by Michael Wilson (MD of UTV Television and UTV Ireland) back in January 2013, before the channel even launched...make of that what you will.

That is very, very interesting...hmm conspiracy theory. Will probably get it's own show on Channel 5... Very Happy Think I'm one of the few who actually likes them programmes...but that's off topic. Thanks for sharing.
On the Internet, you're reading Rijowhi!!!
Rijowhi665 posts since 24 Jul 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
Although we shouldn't automatically assume things based on ITV's previous actions. It is a very different ITV to the one of 10-15 years ago.

There is one thing in UTV's favour and that's the fact that UTV Live consistently beats BBC Newsline in the ratings quite comfortably - the only ITV region where this occurs unless I'm mistaken. Any changes to such a success story would need careful consideration.

A change in name for the News programme wouldn't change this though. It's too much of a change in style, presentation and/or content that would be the issue. ITV would be wise to keep those sort of changes to the minimum.
On the Internet, you're reading Rijowhi!!!
Steve in Pudsey10,069 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Cybersquatter prevention, probably.
Write that down in your copybook now.
gottago2,823 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
I believe ITV offerings in Scotland beat the BBC but the ratings are spilt etc

Last time I saw regional ratings a few months ago the BBC was a good 100k or so above STV's 6pm shows (regions combined).

Would Border Scotland tip the figure over for ITV?

I can't imagine that there'd be as many as 100k watching in such a small area.

In fact the tab for the ratings said "Scotland" (though had an STV logo) so could well have included it anyway.