TV Home Forum

CBBC Birthday thread

Celebrating 30 Years of Children's BBC (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
benriggers
Never knew the Octopus sting was created by a viewer!

MA
madmusician
Interesting to note that the telly in the studio that they're playing the ident on is widescreen, and it's a widescreen version of the ident playing on that telly - when the ident is cut to by the director, it's only in 4:3 of course.

This YouTube channel really is the most exciting channel for years when it comes to children's TV - not since the glory days of 2008/9 when there was a glut of great stuff being uploaded. Wonderful viewing! Very Happy
fanoftv, VMPhil and Nathan gave kudos
JA
james-2001
I entered that competition and was gutted I didn't win, I always thought I deserved to, but then I guess I was biased! And they never even showed it during the time they were showing other entries. IIRC I had a cat chasing a mouse, followed by the cat running back being chased by a giant mouse. Hey, I was 11 at the time!

From what I remember they said Tom Judd's entry was picked because it was done as an animation with the CBBC logo merely appearing at the bottom at the end, which is how that ident set worked, but most of the entries had the CBBC logo as an object within the ident- which would have been fine in the 1994-97 set, but not in the one they were using at the time. In fact Tom's entry was the only one I remember them showing that actually fit that particular style. Though my entry did too which at the time made me even more annoyed they didn't pick, or even show it!

And mentioning CBBC idents in 16:9- I remember seeing a video recently which was Martin Lambie-Nairn giving a talk on the 1997 rebrand, which included the 16:9 versions of a couple of the 1997 CBBC idents. That was actually the first time I'd seen them that was- up until then I'd assumed they were made in 4:3 seeing as they were only even shown that way, as even when CBBC pres went 16:9 (when they "remixed" them) all they did was crop the 4:3 idents (which led to an oversized logo at the bottom). If they had 16:9 versions, why didn't they use them?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I entered that competition too... I vaguely recall it featuring a clown throwing custard pies around before one eventually hits the camera. What I remember clearly is being a bit peeved because the winner was ridiculously underwhelmed.
NA
Nathan

And mentioning CBBC idents in 16:9- I remember seeing a video recently which was Martin Lambie-Nairn giving a talk on the 1997 rebrand, which included the 16:9 versions of a couple of the 1997 CBBC idents. That was actually the first time I'd seen them that was- up until then I'd assumed they were made in 4:3 seeing as they were only even shown that way, as even when CBBC pres went 16:9 (when they "remixed" them) all they did was crop the 4:3 idents (which led to an oversized logo at the bottom). If they had 16:9 versions, why didn't they use them?

JA
james-2001
Looking at the second ident in that video makes me think my idea was probably doomed from the start- they already had 2 idents involving a cat chasing something (one of which was a mouse), they probably wouldn't have wanted a third. I still think it would have made a good ident though Razz

I wouldn't be suprised if I partly got the idea from those existing idents, though the giant mouse thing could have also come from things like the Tom & Jerry cartoon with the baby elephant, and the Sylvester cartoons with Hippety Hopper. All so long ago I can't remember now though!
NA
Nathan
Even though a 16:9 version is clearly in existence
The official CBBC anniversary show used a 4:3 version
A little strange.
BU
buster
Because they were made doesn't mean they were/are widely available for use, particularly by an archive programme some 18 years after the event. CBBC continuity was 4:3 well into the digital age so it's no surprise they only had the 4:3 versions.

The 2001 remixed idents were just that, zooming in and out, speeding up and down and with various effects over the top, and were clearly just a stop-gap so using the 16:9 versions wouldn't have made much difference.

That guy couldn't sound more bored. Even Kirsten sounds like she's trying not to say "we just got this bloody thing professionally animated for you!!"

I'm guessing for the birthday show the 1991 ident came straight from the master as the quality was superb on CBBC HD....still looks good nearly a quarter of a century on from being created.

I agree there's some great stuff on that channel! Another example of those amazing BFT credits too Very Happy
AN
Andrew Founding member
Sounds like he'd hit puberty at some point between sending it in and it winning, and he was now thinking it was so uncool appearing on kids TV and embarrassed by the whole thing.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Even though a 16:9 version is clearly in existence
The official CBBC anniversary show used a 4:3 version
A little strange.

Not only that, but they could have just colour matched the pillars either side to the yellow.
JA
james-2001
I wonder if the clip of the ident in the show was grabbed from a broadcast rather than an ident master tape- would definately have been in 4:3 then. They would have gone throuh plenty of broadcast tapes to compile the show after all, might have been easier.
:-(
A former member
Its far to clean.

Newer posts