TV Home Forum

A Saturday Morning Thread

Hopefully with lots of interesting clippage (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Don't know if anyone remembers but when the CITV Channel launched they had 'Saturday Showdown Extra' which ran after the main show. I only remember because I tuned in one time when the audio wasn't working (they went to a break and came back pretending it was still off as a joke).

Talking of spin-offs - when the Saturday Show first launched they had a couple of spin-offs with 'Saturday Show Extra' on the CBBC Channel which actually aired at the same time as the main show on CBBC One for some reason! And also 'The Saturday Show Remix' which was an edited repeat of the show broadcast later that night on the CBBC Channel.
ME
mediaman2007
The ban on junk food advertising was what really knackered them on ITV. The BBC however...what was their excuse? The Tories should insist on the beeb bringing back the classic saturday morning show to differentiate themselves from the commercials Wink
BR
Brekkie
Don't know if anyone remembers but when the CITV Channel launched they had 'Saturday Showdown Extra' which ran after the main show. I only remember because I tuned in one time when the audio wasn't working (they went to a break and came back pretending it was still off as a joke).

Talking of spin-offs - when the Saturday Show first launched they had a couple of spin-offs with 'Saturday Show Extra' on the CBBC Channel which actually aired at the same time as the main show on CBBC One for some reason! And also 'The Saturday Show Remix' which was an edited repeat of the show broadcast later that night on the CBBC Channel.

Didn't one of them or possibly both simulcast the main show but with different cartoons on the channel.
VM
VMPhil

Didn't one of them or possibly both simulcast the main show but with different cartoons on the channel.

That was Dick and Dom. They also had a Sunday show which went out on the CBBC Channel only after the Saturday show started being simulcast on BBC One.
FA
fanoftv
The Saturday Show Extra (during Dani & Joe's stint on the main show) ran 9-12 on the CBBC Channel presented by Sara & Nihal. It was mainly a behind the scenes programme as a live programme aired. It was an interesting idea. I think at first the programmes were timed differently so that you could flip channels to carry on watching studio segments.
Due to Dick & Dom airing on the Channel during the second series (Fearne & Simon's series) the Extra part was fronted solely by Sara (with assistance from Fearne, Simon and occasionally Stamford Amp and Tiny & Mr Duk) and ran 12-1pm after the main show which was great extending the live show until 1 and had extra games and interviews with the show guests.

When Dick & Dom and Holly & Stephen's Saturday Showdown aired on both the main network and the children's channel they aired different programmes on each giving viewers the chance to stick or flick.
BR
Brekkie
Had completely forgotten there were two incarnatrions of the Saturday Show. Seems very odd the CBBC channel competed against it for a relaunched second series.
ME
mediaman2007
Recent tweet from SMTV's producer:

9:25 on a Saturday morning and the kids terrestrial choices are BBC Breakfast, F1, Jeremy Kyle Show USA or Frasier

https://twitter.com/davidstaite43/status/652767431669194752
ME
mediaman2007
Live & Kicking was dragged out for years whilst SM:TV Live came and went (with a poof, you might say)

I think ITV claimed that SMTV was the longest running saturday morning show ever due to it running on a weekly basis for 5 and a half years whereas most others especially on the BBC tended to run through the winter or summer only. Not sure how true this was - anyone know? I think there were just under 300 episodes of SMTV.
BR
Brekkie
Stuart Heritage sums up my thoughts of the current state of weekend TV:
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/oct/15/gaby-roslins-the-saturday-show-another-weekend-cookery-programme-to-make-you-sick-channel-5
Put The Telly On and mediaman2007 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Live & Kicking was dragged out for years whilst SM:TV Live came and went (with a poof, you might say)

I think ITV claimed that SMTV was the longest running saturday morning show ever due to it running on a weekly basis for 5 and a half years whereas most others especially on the BBC tended to run through the winter or summer only. Not sure how true this was - anyone know? I think there were just under 300 episodes of SMTV.

279, and some of them were Gold. While Tiswas has 302 and even if you take of the first series which was meh that 13 its still more than SMTV
ME
mediaman2007

279, and some of them were Gold. While Tiswas has 302 and even if you take of the first series which was meh that 13 its still more than SMTV

Does the Tiswas number include the late night adult specials? :p (Not that I was around for any of it)
WH
Whataday Founding member

Does the Tiswas number include the late night adult specials? :p (Not that I was around for any of it)

It shouldn't because OTT was a separate programme (albeit a spin off)

I'm not sure you can compare Tiswas to SMTV because much of the former's history was on regional television. It didn't get full network until towards the end of its run.

Newer posts