TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Hunger Games eh? I have a sneaking suspicion that i am not the target audience for this spin-off. I never really watched Sarah Jane Adventures either. Why cant Aunty make more Torchwood?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Watching Saturday's Doctor Who it was interesting to see it feature a deaf actor as a main (strong) character with a signer. There's a nice little interview on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0341nzz with the two actors.

With regards to the next episode...
I can't help suspecting that The Doctor might turn out to be in that suspended animation chamber, which apparently 'could not be opened'.

Also I wonder if they'll alter the schedules to insert another omnibus episode, as once again last Saturday's England rugby match affected the show's ratings.
FL
flaziola
It'll be interesting to see how the overnight sign zone handles this episode.
ST
steddenm
Interesting "rock" version of the opening theme tune tonight - and with The Doctor using the viewer as the fourth wall at the beginning.
JO
Jon
I think you mean "breaking the fourth wall" the statement "using the viewer as the fourth wall" doesn't really make sense to my mind.
ST
steddenm
That's exactly what I meant sorry.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Turns out my guess per my previous post's spoiler was correct. [/smug git]
I found the fourth wall piece at the start somewhat confusing, though I'm assuming it was intended to help explain how he worked things out in the episode. I found some of the writing in this second part a bit confusing, and I'm still not certain I fully understand everything that happened. I did like though how they illustrated what the deaf character was hearing when being followed by the ghost (with the axe).
JA
JAS84
Interesting "rock" version of the opening theme tune tonight - and with The Doctor using the viewer as the fourth wall at the beginning.

And actually performed by Peter Capaldi!
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-10/peter-capaldi-plays-electric-guitar-over-doctor-who-opening-credits
AM
amosc100
Shame we cant have that theme as the permanent theme tune as it was far superior - just using the electric guitar as an extra instrument has made all the difference to the tone of the tune and the show as a whole.
BA
Bail Moderator
Turns out my guess per my previous post's spoiler was correct. [/smug git]
I found the fourth wall piece at the start somewhat confusing, though I'm assuming it was intended to help explain how he worked things out in the episode. I found some of the writing in this second part a bit confusing, and I'm still not certain I fully understand everything that happened. I did like though how they illustrated what the deaf character was hearing when being followed by the ghost (with the axe).

It's quite a clever idea actually, if a little mind bending, the basic principal (which you were told to Google) is that this episode (and the Beethoven prologue) follows the Bootstrap Paradox which was written by science fiction author Robert A. Heinlein in the short story By His Bootstraps. Heinlein was a (IMO) fantastic writer who wrote many stories with time and space as their theme, long before technology to do such things existed.

The bootstrap paradox in essence sees a great and now old writer discovers a time machine and go back in time to give his earlier self copies of his works so that his younger self can do even more with his life (not having to write the books as they're already written) which ends with the younger self growing up, discovering the same time machine and going back to give himself those very same works, thus the loop now never contains the works being originally written, so where did they come from.

Further Reading: http://thequantumtunnel.com/continuum-bootstrap-paradox/

36 days later

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Thought it worth a mention that last night's episode didn't feature a title sequence, instead the episode name appeared at the start of the credits. It was presumably done to fit in with the storyline of this particular episode, though I think it's the first time this has happened.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, the OP would have been out of place on what was meant to be Found Footage.

Newer posts