TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
Exterminate!

Cliffhangers making a welcome return to Doctor Who , and used to great effect. And tonight's cold open is why I avoid spoilers like the plague! Surprised Shocked
BA
Bail Moderator
Urgh, cold open is just a horrible American term. This isn't Saturday Night Live.

Anyway, loved that, very good, more please Smile
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
I don't like the wobbly waily bit, but other than that the title music is okay. What I really don't like is how it goes from the from cold open mixed in 5.1, to the titles mixed in plain old stereo.

How was the theme tonight? Was it in 5.1 tonight?? Liked the new blue opening part of the titles. I suppose they have put a filter over the original titles as they did in Matt Smith's era where it was a different colour each week. It didn't look too good though at that time. Looked alright tonight though.
BA
bilky asko
Bail posted:
Urgh, cold open is just a horrible American term. This isn't Saturday Night Live.

Anyway, loved that, very good, more please Smile

What is the British English phrase? Icicle entrance? Frigid frontispiece? Preambular façade?
MI
Michael
Pre-title, teaser, preamble.
BA
bilky asko
Pre-title, teaser, preamble.

But all of those could be American too!

Seriously though, I'd say using "cold open" is a lesser-than-usual faux pas, seeing as the concept originated there.
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
a lesser-than-usual faux pas

That's me. Aim low.

Doctor Who was "roundly beaten" by The X-Factor last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519
LL
London Lite Founding member
Doctor Who will see a rise in ratings when PVR and iPlayer numbers are added.
DA
davidhorman
How was the theme tonight? Was it in 5.1 tonight?

No, still entirely stereo.

Not sure how much longer the "TV reports have scanlines through them" trope can keep being brought out in this day and age...
TG
TG
Isn't it the usual reason of ensuring there's no way it can be mistaken for real?
:-(
A former member
Im not so sure about this series.
DA
davidhorman
So far I have found it... satisfactory.

There was absolutely no need, though, really, for

the Doctor to have already anticipated Davros's plan, since it retroactively robs the story of most of it's drama!

I think next week's episode looks a bit more "proper."

Newer posts