TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
ALL of STV cartoon series were redubbed to Gaelic, its was cheap and ticked a hell of a alot of boxes. Unlike most of the content STV and Grampian created which were funded by the GTC, the cartoons were not hence the reason the endcaps are still in tact. But because STV owns the broadcasting rights in the UK, Alba can use them, for free. Hence Rupert and even Mythic Warriors: Guardians of the Legend Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century and Mewoo are on the channel. I do expect to see Anatole, Birdz, Captain Zed and the Zee Zone or even Walter Melon. Wink

One has to wonder who controls the rights to Dangermouse in relations to Donnie Murdo, unless thames were just nice to enough to have a one off fee?

When it comes to the BBC series, I still wonder if we will ever get repeats of Dotaman or Pàdraig Post.
JA
james-2001
One of the strangest things I saw on BBC Alba when I was channel hopping was a repeat of an early 90s STV Gaelic soap where one of the characters was talking in English and the others were talking back to him in Gaelic. I found that bizzare and didn't really make much sense. Surely if he could understand Gaelic he'd have been speaking it to the other characters?
A former member
Your on about Machair, it was actually rather popular.
NG
noggin Founding member
One of the strangest things I saw on BBC Alba when I was channel hopping was a repeat of an early 90s STV Gaelic soap where one of the characters was talking in English and the others were talking back to him in Gaelic. I found that bizzare and didn't really make much sense. Surely if he could understand Gaelic he'd have been speaking it to the other characters?

Not surprising at all. If you have Gaelic as a second language, and you know the person you are talking to speaks English, then why not do that?

Similar to the way "The Bridge" works - Danish characters speak Danish, Swedish characters speak Swedish. They understand each other.
CA
Caly123
I was watching Na Bleigeardan (Little Monsters) in Gaelic and the endcap for the show had a white sheep next to a logo that said "Bùrach". Weird!
A former member
I was watching Na Bleigeardan (Little Monsters) in Gaelic and the endcap for the show had a white sheep next to a logo that said "Bùrach". Weird!

I forgot about that, it tuned up on alot of BBC Scotland redubbing.

CA
Caly123
Yes, that one! They did Gaelic dubs of Postman Pat, Willam's Wish Wellingtons, Bob the Builder etc. Here's an episode of Little Monsters that they dubbed:
SC
scottishtv Founding member
It's the same on Challenge, when they air Wheel of Fortune, Fun House, and Finders Keepers. The different Scottish TV endcaps that are on the TV just now is brilliant!

Brilliant! For some reason, I thought everything got the blue box = a "scottish tv" production = generic endcap added at some point. Glad it didn't.
JA
james-2001
Well with Wheel Of Fortune, it's CBS that distributes them, not STV, so it will be up to them whether they keep the original endcap or not, which they do. Shame they don't do that with Paramount Television stuff though...
BA
bilky asko
DJGM posted:

Dangermouse returns on monday, but it seems the classic is still going stong, on BBC alba; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062xb7t

Ugh, that is dreadful! Name changed to Donnie Murdo ... terrible audio dubbing, including theme song ... episode title slide looks like it's taken from an obscure cartoon from eastern Europe! Should've kept the original soundtrack, and used Gaelic subtitles instead.

Why would a channel dedicated to Scottish Gaelic only use Gaelic subtitles on a programme? That'd be crackers.
A former member
The channel has a Dangermouse dog.
A former member
I give the new series 10/10. outstanding and keeping with how the classic worked yet giving it modern update which should keep the current viewers happy.

Newer posts