Media Websites

ITV Hub

Replaces itv.com and ITV Player (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Quote:
The ITV Hub will replace ITV Player and itv.com and will launch later this year across mobile, PC and connected TV. Live streaming of ITV's TV channels, which now accounts for over 30% of usage on PC and mobile, will be at the heart of the new service, offering audiences a more compelling TV-like experience across all devices.

In addition, the service will extend its digital reach to become available for the first time on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, and the new Freeview Play service. The desktop PC service is completely new and will see a merger between ITV’s on demand pages and show websites.

ITV can also reveal that, in time with the launch on ITV2, new episodes of Seth MacFarlane’s Family Guy and American Dad will be available on The ITV Hub – the first time a PSB channel has offered the hit shows in its VOD service.

The new, dynamic branding and colour palette is based on the dot above the ‘I’ on each of the ITV channel logos – ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, CITV and ITVBe - reinforcing the message that the on demand experience is a natural extension of our linear TV channels. The dots are able to interact, change size and morph into other shapes.

https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/news/welcoming-itv-hub

Logo animation:

[media:d5221ee85c]http://up.metropol247.co.uk/092015/1443010409_61885304.mp4[/media:d5221ee85c]
LL
London Lite Founding member
Great that ITV have got the VoD rights to Family Guy and American Dad too.
PF
PFML84
They need to get the software right, HD programming available and ease of use and they would be on to a winner. Let's hope it is a marked improvement over ITV Player and All 4 which has a wonderful catalogue of programming, but terrible picture quality.

The BBC aren't the only ones who can create a fantastic OD software package, so why hasn't anyone else done it yet?
DB
dbl
Please ITV, HD videos, its long overdue and the technology is mature enough to do it.
DV
DVB Cornwall
.... and make it universally available not only with selected partners.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Paddy posted:
Let's hope it is a marked improvement over ITV Player and All 4 which has a wonderful catalogue of programming, but terrible picture quality.

ITV HD on demand is on Sky and has been for the last year or so, and Channel 4 and sister channel's HD content is there too (but not actively pushed but they are there), so both services are already generating HD video so it shouldn't be that difficult for either to launch an online version. He says.

I can't see what reason there isn't for HD not to be there already on the web versions of ITV Player and All 4 unless its bandwidth/space restrictions; after all, the iPlayer has been doing it in one form or another since 2009,
PA
pad

I can't see what reason there isn't for HD not to be there already on the web versions of ITV Player and All 4 unless its bandwidth/space restrictions; after all, the iPlayer has been doing it in one form or another since 2009,

I've thought about this a lot too and agree. The only thing I can think is ITV haven't wanted the HD quality online to encourage 'linear' viewing on a proper TV.

Trouble is, some people might just not bother watching then. I think this is increasingly true for viewers who are accustomed to Netflix, iPlayer and to an extent Youtube offering superlative video quality on a computer. For this reason I expect the new service to include a HD version.

They should be aiming for the stars with this one - make it as fast and usable as YouTube with HD video quality. I would advocate using Flash only as a fall back if they can, perhaps prioritising HTML5 video that loads really fast? Also to make sure the ads are well executed (a marker like Ad 2 of 4 helps on these things) and don't hinder up the experience as much as they absolutely have to.

Finally they should significantly upgrade the ITV Accounts so that you get an expanded viewing window (30 days? even 60 days?), exclusive content and the ability to "Like" or "Subscribe" to shows to watch episodes and sync the playback across your devices. Imagine if you had a permanently updating library of ITV shows as they are available, could start watching on your phone then finish on your laptop or even connected TV, with an account. Eventually they could offer a subscription service (£4.99 a month for ad-free viewing and offline playback?)

Get the service right and ITV could be on to a winner which will boost revenues and set them up for the future. They absolutely have to launch a Netflix-esque product.
CO
Colorband
[quote="VMPhil" pid="974426"]
Quote:

Logo animation:

[media:71c7074d59]http://up.metropol247.co.uk/092015/1443010409_61885304.mp4[/media:71c7074d59]

I don't think that's a logo animation, I think that might just be a promo for the new service.
IN
Interceptor
Until ITV2-4 HD go FTA, I can't see ITV HD VOD content being made available anywhere other than via paid-for platforms.

Same goes for E4 HD and More4 HD with regards to Channel 4 HD content.
FA
fanoftv
The interesting part is that it is going to replace itv.com. This would imply that the website will be branded again after no specific branding since the 2013 rebrand.

It all seems a bit 'ALL 4' from the name change to the use of the colours from the different sub brands.
MU
Multi
[quote="AgainWTheNorth" pid="974603"]
Quote:

Logo animation:

[media:744418ae8d]http://up.metropol247.co.uk/092015/1443010409_61885304.mp4[/media:744418ae8d]

I don't think that's a logo animation, I think that might just be a promo for the new service.

Have they forgotten Encore?
VM
VMPhil
Encore is a subscription channel so its content won't be freely available on ITV Hub.

Newer posts