TV Home Forum

French TV

Old and new (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Sorry if this is a random question that nobody might not know the answer to. But does anybody know where the clip of the FR3 news intro, which has Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe V as the theme, is? It was on The Newsroom on this website less than a year ago but I haven't found it anywhere.

I seem to remember that it was one of FR3's regional stations that used the music in 1980 or thereabouts. Unfortunately, the YT account that had most of those French regional news intros was recently deleted.

I'll keep an eye out for it, though.

13 days later

HC
Hatton Cross
This is probably the best thread to post this - in the hope someone knows what is going on.
Despite having a very limited grasp of French, I do like watching the live broadcast/simlcast of France 2's Tele Matin on TV5Monde.

Since Feburary the studio segments have been rather umm... French in style!.

For a couple of weeks they were in a very small studio (with the acoustics of a cupboard) 3 fixed cameras, and vt stings to mask the contributers moving in and out of the booth. At the end of the news bully a couple of days in to this arrangment, the newsreader gave out what I think was some form of appology about the service and I think I worked out that was some form of technicians strike meaning the usual Studio B where the show comes from was out of use. Fair enough. The rest of the show looked technically ok, so I guess it was the news journalists that were doing all the 'heavy lifting' on the show techincally.

But, for the past couple of weeks, we've have William Leymergie sitting at desk with a frosted spotlight arrangement behind him (all very cold, white and clinical) a couple of big screens to the left and right, and none of the usual moving around the studio to a different desk presentation point for each item - or the reporter walking into shot and up to the presentation area.

More bizzare, the News, Sport and Weather now appear to be done 'done the line' from another studio entirely, whereas before they were done in the same studio as William was. Previously with the sport and weather presenters, they joined William at one of the presentation desks, so were in the same mid range 2-shot. Now it's all done with split screen boxes.

I'm finding it a very curious way to do a programme.
Is the strike still on going, and this arrangement is better than the cupboard studio (I know it's the emergency studio and they have no choice but to muddle through and use it) they've used in the past couple of weeks?

Or has there been some sort of restructure of the news division at France Televisions, and the production of Tele Matin been moved to another departement, which is why the News/Weather/Sport is now being presented away from the studio William is in, and in a studio of their own? Is William even in the same building?
Any help from our French experts would be most welcome.
Bon. Merci. Very Happy
LL
London Lite Founding member
It's been a regular occurrence in the last couple of months for the main studio to be out of action.

They even have different opening titles for 13 and 20 Heures when it's out of action using the Paris skyline rather than the main studio wide shot from the ceiling.

When they're in the smaller studio for the main bulletins, they still have room for a guest/correspodent including a small plasma.

If France 2 can't use the news studio CSO for the weather and Point Route at the weekend, it's out of vision with as you mention a shot of the presenter introducing the bulletin from a different studio.

22 days later

GE
thegeek Founding member
TV5Monde has been the victim of a cyberattack by IS.

The news articles I've found so far have given a fair bit of detail about what's happened to their websites, Twitter and Facebook (because that's easy to check from a desk in London), but does anyone know what happened to their on-air output?

Sky News reports that they were off-air for more than three hours, and it could be a few days before they're back to normal, and the Guardian says
Quote:
It is likely the hackers gained entry into the corporate network of TV5Monde, which would then have given them access to the channel’s camera and broadcast control systems, allowing them to take the station offline.

Now, this sounds fishy to me: you don't tend to keep broadcast control systems connected to the internet - it might share the same physical infrastructure (eg network switches) but there's normally logical separation between the two (eg different virtual LANs, which are hard to bridge). Perhaps just a DoS attack that swamped their business network and made it impossible to use their newsgathering systems?

This video from their website seems to suggest that the attack even affected their ability to use lapel mics, frame a decent shot, or apparently shoot on something other than an Alcatel cameraphone from 2003.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The TV5Monde cyberattack was the lead on France 2's 13H edition this afternoon with a live into their newsroom.
CN
cnnfan1230
Also the lead in germany, ZDF's main newscast lead with a report from Paris bureau
WW
WW Update
The TV5Monde cyberattack was the lead on France 2's 13H edition this afternoon with a live into their newsroom.

Here is that newscast in its entirety:

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/replay-jt/france-2/13-heures/jt-de-13h-du-jeudi-9-avril-2015_866269.html
GE
thegeek Founding member
Hacked French network exposed its own passwords during TV interview

*golf clap*
bilky asko, dbl and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos

84 days later

WW
WW Update
The breakup of the ORTF was announced 41 years ago this month. The ORTF's Second Network aired this special report on the breakup and its implications:

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAF97072886/speciale-ortf-video.html

32 days later

WW
WW Update
A look back at ORTF in the decade before its breakup:

39 days later

WW
WW Update
At 17:10 mark, a 1992 report about the unification of France 2, previously Antenne 2, and France 3, previously France Regions 3, under the France Télévision umbrella. (In 2000, their union became even tighter and France Télévisions gained an "s").

WW
WW Update
You can see a report about the upcoming launch of the ORTF's third channel at the 19:25 mark of this 1972 newscast:

Newer posts