TV Home Forum

New BBC promotion

Shows some fight, uses borked logo (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonny
Good to see the BBC standing up for itself with a promo highlighting popular aspects of the corporation (live events, programmes, apps), shown just now during Wimbledon.

The simple "BBC logo on black background" at the end looked like that dodgy Wikipedia version but then I wouldn't expect any different...
DV
dvboy
CU
Custard56
Agreed - cynics might say that it's a timely trailer in the face of charter renewal and the Conservative's efforts to dismantle the BBC bit by bit but it does a good job at reminding the public just how valuable an asset the BBC is.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Is Diane Morgan of Weekly Wipe the V/O?
AS
ASO
It doesn't sound much like her at all
ST
Stuart
dvboy posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf96s_naL0

Fab!

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but if you don't see £3 a week as worth all that and more, then I really despair as to your finances.

I dislike inane 'end of the pier talent shows', mindless lottery show extensions, game shows, home makeovers . . . but I think I get value for the bits I enjoy. Thumbs up
BK
bkman1990
Ah, I can't watch that video.

A message popped up saying that 'The uploader has not made this video available in your country'.

And I live in the Republic of Ireland; what the hell is that for?
DB
dbl

A message popped up saying that 'The uploader has not made this video available in your country'.

If you use Chrome, download Hola Better Internet in extensions.
BR
Brekkie
The BBC fighting back... quietly.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/13/bbc-fights-back-against-tory-assault-on-waste-and-right-to-make-popular-shows

I don't think it's just the BBC at stake myself - I think it's TV as a whole if the BBC is reduced in size and scale, and rather than benefitting I suspect ITV could end up the biggest casualty.
DJ
DJGM
dbl posted:

No ... don't download Hola, unless you want to install malware that puts your computer on a botnet.

Hola VPN is quietly selling your internet bandwidth to become a botnet for cybercriminals
BA
bilky asko
DJGM posted:
dbl posted:

No ... don't download Hola, unless you want to install malware that puts your computer on a botnet.

Hola VPN is quietly selling your internet bandwidth to become a botnet for cybercriminals

It doesn't install malware at all. It is simply a VPN based on a peer-to-peer system, which therefore doesn't make is surprising that your connection is being shared.
DJ
DJGM
DJGM posted:
dbl posted:

It doesn't install malware at all. It is simply a VPN based on a peer-to-peer system,
which therefore doesn't make is surprising that your connection is being shared.

Anything that puts your computer on a botnet IS malware. If other people are sharing your internet connection via Hola, you have absolutely no control at all over what others are viewing. If one of the others is accessing illegal content while Hola is active, that illegal content can be filtered through your internet connection.

The people running a Hola are putting their users on a botnet via a paid commercial service called Luminati, with which they sell access to this bandwidth to third parties, and don't care what it's used for. Even though their Terms of Service forbids illegal activity, including the more nefarious type of things certain people do online, they don't enforce it, and they have no idea what people are actually doing on their service, illegal or otherwise.

Anyway, read this and educate yourself.
http://adios-hola.org/
Richard and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts