The Newsroom

London Live

announce News presenters (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member

In the UK, historically reporters have used personal mics (aka Lavs), with the Rycote softies (aka 'dead grey squirrel') used more for camera mics - but also there for use in windy or noisy situations where a personal mic isn't suitable. (News crews often don't carry the fluffy mini-wind baffles for personal mics) That's why we don't really see as many branded stick mics in UK news shows - and also because they are seen as a bit naff...

Maybe the lack of branding on British news bulletins has been down to the lack of bulletins in the first place? It's common on UK radio stations where the competition is higher to get their brand name on the tv bulletins.
NG
noggin Founding member

In the UK, historically reporters have used personal mics (aka Lavs), with the Rycote softies (aka 'dead grey squirrel') used more for camera mics - but also there for use in windy or noisy situations where a personal mic isn't suitable. (News crews often don't carry the fluffy mini-wind baffles for personal mics) That's why we don't really see as many branded stick mics in UK news shows - and also because they are seen as a bit naff...

Maybe the lack of branding on British news bulletins has been down to the lack of bulletins in the first place? It's common on UK radio stations where the competition is higher to get their brand name on the tv bulletins.

Not really - you see far fewer UK TV reporters holding in-vision stick mics than you do in other countries.
MA
Markymark
It's common on UK radio stations where the competition is higher to get their brand name on the tv bulletins.

Usually with a windsock over an upsidedown i-phone. Doesn't look terribly 'pro'
TV
TVGBs
More less-than-good press for London Live in the Media Guardian today - http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/06/lebedevs-independent-standard-london-live.

"Lebedevs have ploughed £111m into Independent, Standard and TV station: Russian moguls invested £18m more last year as London Live struggled to pull in audiences, latest figures reveal"
SD
SuperDave
From the accounts lodged with Companies House, the highest paid Director of ESTV took home £228k in the year ending September 2014 or 9.5% of the total salary bill.

Nice work if you can get it.
TV
TVGBs
Live From London continues to underwhelm. Just turned it on for a few minutes and the coverage of the Ant-man premiere was awful - these used to be a strong point for them. Two interviews of no real substance and terrible quality footage from the OB link. Followed up by a bit of an awkward interview with a 'comedian'.

There was also a plug for the 'breakfast' show at 8.30 the following morning with all the latest on the tube strike. If I was them I would have moved it earlier and extended it to try and gain some news ground but I guess that would be asking too much.
SD
SuperDave
I saw the first 45 minutes of the 6pm news tonight. John Naylor did a live cross from Shepherd's Bush on the tube strike and appeared to be the only reporter on shift. He did a pretty decent job though.

The only other package I saw was from Reya (also from Shepherd's Bush) with a piece on a wartime shell which caused an evacuation of Westfield earlier in the day.

Apart from the headlines and an overly long interview about the budget, the rest of the show consisted of interviews from earlier in the day.

That said, Baxter did a reasonsable job - even standing to present the travel and weather segments before walking to the desk to deliver the headlines.

I also noticed they've got some 'new' chairs around the half moon table.
LL
London Lite Founding member
At lunchtime they had two reporters, Baffoe at Paddington reporting on the Tube and First Great Western strikes and Reya as mentioned was at Shepherd's Bush.
SD
SuperDave
It's such a shame that they don't even have the resources to mount special coverage for tomorrow morning's commute.
Last edited by SuperDave on 8 July 2015 9:33pm
MA
mark Founding member
So, on the morning of the biggest tube strike I can remember, London Live is showing... Place Invaders.

This channel has no public service value whatsoever.
SD
SuperDave
Pathetic
MA
Markymark
It's such a shame that they don't even have the resources to mount special coverage for tomorrow morning's commute.

While I agree, the station has little to no PSB commitment, beyond reporting the fact there are no tube trains running this morning, what short of useful coverage do you envisage they should be providing ? Listing every
extra bus that's running within Greater London ?

Newer posts