TV Home Forum

BBC cuts jobs / Charter renewal

1,000 people may leave the BBC (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CN
cnnfan1230
BBC has decided to cut 1,000 jobs because of a £150m shortfall in its licence fee income.
At the same time NUJ has lanuched the campaign against the job cuts
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/02/bbc-cut-more-1000-jobs-cost-saving-push?CMP=share_btn_tw

https://www.nuj.org.uk/campaigns/love-it-or-lose-it/
Last edited by cnnfan1230 on 2 July 2015 11:00am
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
If I was being slightly cynical I'd suggest the timing may also help it's argument/case for an increase with the charter renew.
EL
elmarko
It's almost as if cutting funding for public organisations may have knock-on effects for the wider economy when people lose their jobs.

Honestly, this stuff is just pure ideology, not evidence based at all.
CN
cnnfan1230
Full Tony Hall message to the staff:

Quote:
Dear all,

I care deeply about this organisation – and the people in it. That’s why I wanted to share with you, openly and honestly, some big changes we’re making to make the BBC simpler and leaner.

There are two things going on, which make today’s announcements very necessary.

The first goes back to something I said when I came back here. I said I wanted a simpler organisation. It’s what many of you have told me too – and it requires a different approach.

Secondly, we’re facing a very difficult financial situation. Many of you have worked hard to achieve the savings we’ve made already. I know it’s been hard. But there’s more to do. And, before we do anything else that affects our programmes and services, we have to make sure we’re running the BBC as efficiently as possible.

I’m announcing four things – aiming to do just that.

Merging divisions

We’re looking at the number of divisions we need. As a first step, I’ve asked Ralph Rivera, Matthew Postgate and David Gibbons to bring together our teams in Technology, Engineering and Digital. And, that’s not just in the public service, but across Worldwide too. It’s just a start – and, over the next few months, I’ll be working with our directors to see what more we can do.

Cutting out layers

We’ve taken a good look at the structures across the BBC. In some places there are 10 layers between the top and the bottom of the organisation. I think that’s too many – and, in future, we’ll work to a maximum of seven.

Reducing management roles

I’m a huge believer in strong management – management that’s enabling and supports creativity. But the reality is, a simpler organisation, with fewer divisions and layers, will inevitably require fewer senior decision-makers in all parts of the BBC. I know this is hard – but it’s the right thing to do.

Simplifying procedures

Finally, we’re looking at how we run our professional and support areas – by which I mean all the teams, doing things as varied as marketing, finance, legal, HR and communications. They do a vital job for us. We’ll be asking how each area should be structured, how we can simplify, and standardise, the ways we work – looking right across the public service and Worldwide.

These changes will save £50m a year. And, you know as well as I do, that many of those savings will be roles that we close. We estimate over 1,000 jobs will go.

I recognise this is a very tough message. And, I want to make it clear that even though we’ll inevitably be closing posts, it’s not a reflection of the commitment or hard work of the people doing those jobs.

This is about structural change. It’s about doing the right thing – to deliver maximum value to audiences, in a very challenging financial situation.

I want you to know we’ll handle this decently – and fairly. There’ll be more opportunities to discuss all this today and over the coming weeks. And we’ll keep staff informed throughout, before any final decisions are taken.

Best wishes,

Tony

Director-General
:-(
A former member
How about sacking Managers? or making Managers taken pay cuts?
VM
VMPhil
How about sacking Managers? or making Managers taken pay cuts?

It literally says that right above

Quote:
Reducing management roles

I’m a huge believer in strong management – management that’s enabling and supports creativity. But the reality is, a simpler organisation, with fewer divisions and layers, will inevitably require fewer senior decision-makers in all parts of the BBC. I know this is hard – but it’s the right thing to do.
:-(
A former member
I believe that when I see that. To often that get said and it never happens...
DO
dosxuk
It does. There's just less of them to stand up and complain about it. Plus if you're upper-tier management, the only time the fact you've had a pay cut, or been made redundant is announced is when someone has seriously messed up and the lower levels need placating.
MS
Mr-Stabby
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33400935

Now it seems, the BBC might now have an extra £650 million defecit on its hands. Just what on earth are they going to have to do to cover this deficit? There aren't enough people to sack!
DO
dosxuk
£650m - or a 1/5 of the entire budget

If this happens, it will be the end of the BBC as we know it.
AN
Ant
The article mentions charging the TV Licence to people using the iPlayer. I can't see them making £650 million off that.

It'll also put a large number of students off the iPlayer I would imagine. In a few years the BBC really will be a shell of what it once was at this rate.
OM
Omnipresent
If it did happen without an increase in the licence fee (freezing the licence fee in itself of course makes no contribution to reducing the public deficit), then you would have to look at very radical action, like closing down more TV channels, making one or more of the national FM radio networks digital only, closing down all AM/LW services, closing down all BBC local radio services and putting Five Live in its place with local opt-outs.

The Conservatives are playing a dangerous game. They may not like the BBC as an institution but its voters do, on the whole, value BBC programmes.

Like the last BBC licence fee freeze which was never put before Parliament, all of this is being done without being put to MPs or voters.

Newer posts