TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
That logo has never been used on air and has only ever been used the Twitter feed. They've always used the multi-coloured one.
MW
Mike W
Jon posted:
That logo has never been used on air and has only ever been used the Twitter feed. They've always used the multi-coloured one.

Which is a shame because the twitter one is cleaner and nicer!
MU
Multi
Jon posted:

Which is a shame because the twitter one is cleaner and nicer!

Does anyone know what the music is on their idents? It's so outdated yet so catchy.
OM
Omnipresent
Here's an article by Torin Douglas for the RTS on the state of local TV:

http://www.rts.org.uk/magazine/article/local-tv-here-stay

With regard to the comments about the attitude of London based agencies to local TV I don't think this will ever go away. It was one reason why great swathes of local commercial radio stations were rebanded under the Capital and Heart brands - they were brands the London advertisers knew and understood.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Thai Boxing on Big Centre TV.

And a decent piece on FGM on The Midland.

IT
IndigoTucker
Multi posted:

Does anyone know what the music is on their idents? It's so outdated yet so catchy.

Its a very old Birmingham canalmans song, arranged by Dave Jeffery IIRC
IS
Inspector Sands
Multi posted:

Its a very old Birmingham canalmans song, arranged by Dave Jeffery IIRC

It's a good idea for a station jingle but the arrangement really grates
LL
London Lite Founding member
Finally some YouTube footage of Bob Hall's worktop.

CH
chinamug
I'm very confused at this stage. After looking at the set ups in some High School's in America, plus from my own experience of setting up various viewing experiences for the public, there doesn't seem to be an logical explanation why the sets are so bad on these local TV stations. It's not cost as it can be done on the cheap. Is it that many running these stations think turning on a Camera is all you have to do?
Multi, dbl and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I think it's attitude - TV used to realise that to see any real return you actually had to really invest. Now it's a case of doing everything as cheap as possible in the hope you don't lose to much money. The ambition (or at least the funds to finance ambition) seems to have vanished.
Last edited by Brekkie on 24 June 2015 11:53pm
CH
chinamug
I think it's attitude - TV used to realise that to see any real return you actually had to real invest. Now it's a case of doing everything as cheap as possible in the hope you don't lose to much money. The ambition (or at least the funds to finance ambition) seems to have vanished.

I think this is very true for some, but I also think that certain individuals have gotten a shock in how hard it actually is to run a TV station. Running a small operation will take over your life over the first year or three and having no life outside of TV isn't as sexy as it seems.

You can divide the current lot into three... The first Group know what they're doing and have their eyes open, they produce half decent stuff... STV in Scotland and NVTV in Belfast come to mind.

The second group are either in it for money or for prestige. That would be London Live and many others. They'll cut corners if success doesn't arrive within weeks and it shows on screen.

The third group love TV but don't have a clue what they're doing. They might have worked in the TV industry in the past but don't seem to have proper Business experience. Those behind the scenes that they thought were dispensable were actually needed all along. Ego really gets in the way of these succeeding. Big Centre is the Clear leader here. Again awful looking TV.

We probably need Groups 2 and 3 to lose interest or fail. Then hopefully more from group one will come in and provide some sort of decent service. The problem with this is that Technology will probably pass the whole process out over the next 5 years.
Last edited by chinamug on 24 June 2015 11:07pm - 2 times in total
DO
dosxuk
You can divide the current lot into three...

I can think of a fourth. They distrust and dislike the existing TV providers, and believe it's a good thing to avoid doing what the mainstream broadcasters do, regardless of the reasons they do those things. Plus, if nobody ends up watching, that's not because you're putting out the wrong programme, but because the audience don't appreciate the work that you've put in.

Newer posts