Mass Media & Technology

Windows 10

Launches 29th July (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
L8
L89
The upgrade icon isn't showing on my machine. Windows Updates are done. My laptop's specs should cope easily with Windows 10. Tried following some guides to getting it to show but no luck so far. I did disable some services a while back but I don't think that is the cause. My version of Windows 7 should be eligible. Thumbs down
LL
London Lite Founding member
L89 posted:
The upgrade icon isn't showing on my machine. Windows Updates are done. . My version of Windows 7 should be eligible. Thumbs down

I haven't had the notification either, despite having a legitimate version of Win 7.
AG
AxG
I had it appear a couple of days ago, but it seems to have disappeared since.
DJ
DJGM
One of the requirements of getting the "Get Windows 10" upgrade reservation app to work is apparently to have Windows Update set to Automatic, which is something I never enable on any of my Windows installations.

This article was posted on Neowin.net a few days ago:
Here is why you can't see "Get Windows 10" app on your PC
DA
davidhorman
AxG posted:
I had it appear a couple of days ago, but it seems to have disappeared since.

It can be dragged into the "hidden" icons box (the up arrow next to the notification area) although I don't think it would do this by itself (as some other icons might do). But anyway, it might just be in there for some reason.
LL
To quote from that article DJGM posted.

Quote:
Moreover, Microsoft has also pointed out that the icon will not be displayed on PCs whose system requirements don't meet those of the OS,"

My PC only has 2GB of RAM.
DA
davidhorman

That should be enough. 4Gb is recommended, but 2Gb is the supposed minimum requirement.
LL

That should be enough. 4Gb is recommended, but 2Gb is the supposed minimum requirement.

I think 4GB is the recommended minimum for Win 7, yet I was sold this PC with only 2GB of RAM and it works for my requirements including video editing.
TV
thetvman
In my personal opinion Microsoft need to simplify things, I think its a good thing there forcing updates on home users as it will hopefully stop people from moaning "I want an Apple computer as they don't get viruses". I don't personally like that discussion but its the right thing to do.

I believe they way they did Microsoft RT was wrong, but I think its a bid idea axing the idea of cheaper Surface devices. There biggest mistake was they put a desktop on RT devices, I believe axing them was wrong as some people just want a tablet with the benefits of MS Word etc...

I believe there should be two versions of Windows, a home version and a business one. Maybe put there Visual Studio software in that package, give it some real benefits for businesses.

They also need to stop having 2 control panels, etc.. Hopefully the final version they will stick all the settings in the new metro UI instead of having them in two places.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I believe there should be two versions of Windows, a home version and a business one. Maybe put there Visual Studio software in that package, give it some real benefits for businesses.

As far as I can see there is only 2 PC versions (+ 1 mobile version) of Windows 10 available. From http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-specifications regarding upgrade versions it indicates...
* Windows 7 Starter -> Windows 10 Home
* Windows 7 Home Basic -> Windows 10 Home
* Windows 7 Home Premium -> Windows 10 Home
* Windows 7 Professional -> Windows 10 Pro
* Windows 7 Ultimate -> Windows 10 Pro

* Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10 Home
* Windows 8.1 Pro -> Windows 10 Pro
* Windows 8.1 Pro Student -> Windows 10 Pro
* Windows 8.1 Pro WMC -> Windows 10 Pro
* Windows Phone 8.1 -> Windows 10 Mobile

I do wonder whether a non-desktop edition for tablets would beneficial for more basic tablets. That said too many different versions might complicate things. I also agree that I hope the two different control panels will be merged to be less confusing.
LL
Reading an article on Win 10 in Computeractive magazine, the minimum RAM requirements are 1GB for the 32bit version and 2GB for the 64bit.
NG
noggin Founding member
Reading an article on Win 10 in Computeractive magazine, the minimum RAM requirements are 1GB for the 32bit version and 2GB for the 64bit.

Yes - there are quite a lot of very cheap 1GB RAM "Win 8.1 with Bing" tablets knocking around. These are running 32 bit versions of Windows on 64 bit processors with a kludgy 32bit UEFI (rather than BIOS) loading system usually. (They are also often using WIMBOOT to reduce storage requirements and allow small eMMC storage devices to be used).

I imagine that Win 10 will be expected to run on these tablets.

Newer posts