The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today

Nottingham was due to be next, but I've heard the Beeb have postponed that pending a total rethink on the technical architecture of the English regions. I suspect they're thinking along the lines of a heavily IP centrally based solution, rather like ViLoR the scheme being rolled out for local radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technology/article/art20130802172702565

Yep - VILOR has caused a lot of blue sky thinking in the BBC. It's delivering very effective savings AIUI, and if they can do the same for TV I think they will.

IP Production may well be a key element of this. (Cameras in Nottingham, but playout servers, vision mixer, router etc. all somewhere central and linked over IP. If you could co-site the production facilities for multiple English regions you could potentially deliver significant savings...)

There's been a lot of talk about IP production recently. Assuming you can have a reliable, fat, low latency (in both directions) fibre link, you could (IN THEORY) dispose of the need of a manned truck for OBs. Just a relatively small van with the CCUs, and interfaces for audio and talk-back feeds that connect to the fibre(s) leading to the 'cloud'. The production gallery could be anywhere on the planet ! The discussions are, how much of the production team actually needs to be on site (after all they normally sit locked in the truck anyway ! Laughing )

Big savings for accommodation, transport, and subsistence rates, so the beancounters are interested
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967

19 days later

CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight
Spotlight being presented tonight from the main reception of BBC South West, not the tiny temporary studio, which was in use earlier.
SO
southern_boy Meridian (South) South Today
Deleted - Wrong thread

23 days later

CN
cnnfan1230
It seems that Channel TV is leaving La Pouquelaye studios..............

And they are moving to a new complex:

The first glimpse of the set is that, they will look like ITV Wales, without larger desk, but with smaller one like on ITV London.
Last edited by cnnfan1230 on 31 May 2015 6:50pm
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
I see screens with giant black strips. Yuck. Must've been quite a battle though to ship the set to Jersey.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
MS
Mr-Stabby London London
I wonder how their gallery space and studio size will compare to La Pouquelaye. They actually had quite substantial studio space at La Pouquelaye (am i right one of the largest ITV regional studios in the UK?), and their gallery was quite large. In this modern era, I imagine a large reason for this move was to downsize.
NE
newswatcher101 (previously StephenBailey) Meridian (South) South Today
I would agree with you that it is a downsize.

Surely they have a very small team because (correct my if I'm wrong) don't they have the smallest ITV region to cover?

Does anyone happen to know ITV Channel's audience figures?
BA
Bail Moderator Meridian (South) South Today
RDJ posted:
Must've been quite a battle though to ship the set to Jersey.

Because shipping crates... don't ship well?
Inspector Sands and dosxuk gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
I wonder how their gallery space and studio size will compare to La Pouquelaye. They actually had quite substantial studio space at La Pouquelaye (am i right one of the largest ITV regional studios in the UK?), and their gallery was quite large. In this modern era, I imagine a large reason for this move was to downsize.

Yeah and modernise I assume. Isn't their new place in a more public location too, again a bit like what they've done in Wales
IS
Inspector Sands
Bail posted:
RDJ posted:
Must've been quite a battle though to ship the set to Jersey.

Because shipping crates... don't ship well?

Yes, I don't see why getting a TV studio set to Jersey is more difficult than getting anything else there. All their technical kit and furniture would have been imported too
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 1 June 2015 12:50pm
MS
Mr-Stabby London London
Hey, i bet most of their staff are imported too Very Happy
NG
noggin Founding member
RDJ posted:
I see screens with giant black strips. Yuck. Must've been quite a battle though to ship the set to Jersey.

Not sure I get you about the black strips. They are using standard multi viewers by the look of it - which are standard in many galleries these days. (They aren't always a great idea as the processing adds delay, and unless you are using the latest models with 4K screens you get very reduced resolution pictures, often with budget scaling which causes nasty aliasing on patterns)

Newer posts