The Gallery

ITV Weekend (UPDATED 19/10)

Updated with V4.2 (May 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Aaron_2015

Here is my complete re-design of the ITV Breakfast show 'Weekend', which is currently pre-recorded and presented by Aled Jones. I think this was a wasted opportunity, ITV could have invested more into it. I propose a show that is presented by Charlotte Hawkins, Ben Shepard and Louisa James which runs from 7-9.25am each Saturday and Sunday. I've created a new studio, logo, graphics, titles and website design, along with a new concept for the show altogether. This project has taken just over 3 months to complete. Two studios were binned, the final studio was the third studio I'd created for this project. A number of logos/title cards were designed, I chose two to work on further, before eventually deciding on the one above. I think it's simple, modern, elegant and fits with the ITV brand. Weekend closely ties in with Good Morning Britain and Lorraine. During Weekend, previews of what's coming up on Good Morning Britain and Lorraine on Monday are shown. These previews are recorded on the Friday (or Thursday for Lorraine), then shown before the ad breaks each hour.

The graphics:

The inspiration for the graphics came from Sky News. I found it difficult to design the graphics for this; I didn't know initially whether to include a ticker. I decided on a news ticker in the end. All graphics are 16:9 safe. Resources are obviously limited in the ITV regions at the weekend, so local news would end up being pre-recorded on the Friday. In order to get the latest news, regions have their own news tickers and weather bugs.

The studio:

The programme is anchored mostly from the desk, but the soft area accommodates bar stools/chairs for interviews and equipment for live performances. Louisa sits as the desk permanently to do the headlines and the papers. Charlotte and Ben sit at the desk to begin with, then move between the soft area and the desk. Louisa's place on the right hand side has a computer under the desk, the other seats do not. Photos below in spoiler tags:

Video: (As always, available in HD!)

So that's my latest project. As I've said previously, the entire thing has taken over three months, so I'd appreciate some valuable feedback I can use to improve it. Any comments I can use to improve are welcome. On my last mock, I had lots of comments on not rushing to make something that's half baked (like a lot of my mocks). With this project I've really taken my time and wondered if it's the absolute best I can do. That's why I decided to scrap various studio designs and graphics designs. As I've said before, I don't mind poor ratings, I just want to know why I've received some. On my last few mocks I've noticed that within 5 minutes of posting I've received an 'Awful' rating already, which certainly isn't enough time to actually read my comments and watch the mock. You might not think it's amazing, but please be reasonable (not aimed at anyone in particular).

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work, I really do appreciate it. Regards,

Aaron
Last edited by Aaron_2015 on 19 October 2015 8:11pm - 5 times in total
DK
DanielK
It looks good, three things that immediately spring to me...

1) Change the music, use instrumentals of chart music or something.
2) The title card had the 'ITV fold', the two curved lines, use that to an advantage as they look quite od just sitting there.
3) Add more 'bits' to the studio like side tables with vases etc just to make it look a bit more busy.
MF
MatthewFirth
Graphics are OK, studio is crap!
AA
Aaron_2015

2) The title card had the 'ITV fold', the two curved lines, use that to an advantage as they look quite od just sitting there.
3) Add more 'bits' to the studio like side tables with vases etc just to make it look a bit more busy.

Thanks for your feedback. Would it look better if the 'folds' moved slowly? I agree on the studio, it could do with some planters or something else.
AA
Aaron_2015
Graphics are OK, studio is crap!

Thanks for commenting, how could it be improved?
DK
DanielK

Thanks for your feedback. Would it look better if the 'folds' moved slowly? I agree on the studio, it could do with some planters or something else.

Could move slowly and morph colours, like the Loose Women graphics do, or you could use it as an alternative way to cut to the presenters, with the folds opening up to reveal the set.
BA
bilky asko
If you take out the time it took to make the studio in SketchUp, how much time did you actually spend on the mock?

You're still not getting fundamental things in the graphics like safe areas right in parts of your mock, you still can't centre things properly when required, and you still can't spell Ben Shephard.

And that's not even considering the terrible set design. Why does one presenter have a computer when there's no monitor for that presenter to use? Why is Nigel Farage Shatliffed on one of the oddly shaped screens either side of the desk? Why are those screens mounted on huge poles coming from (presumably) the lighting rig? Why is the performance/bar stool area just a massive wall with one small screen in the middle? Why is the desk hanging off the edge of the plinth it's standing on? Why is the set unrealistically tall? Does the set even fit into a studio that the show could realistically occupy?

Finally, I don't think Sky News would be too happy if a rehashed version of their new graphics suddenly appeared on ITV. Come up with an idea of your own for the graphics, for once.
AA
Aaron_2015
If you take out the time it took to make the studio in SketchUp, how much time did you actually spend on the mock?

You're still not getting fundamental things in the graphics like safe areas right in parts of your mock, you still can't centre things properly when required, and you still can't spell Ben Shephard.

And that's not even considering the terrible set design. Why does one presenter have a computer when there's no monitor for that presenter to use? Why is Nigel Farage Shatliffed on one of the oddly shaped screens either side of the desk? Why are those screens mounted on huge poles coming from (presumably) the lighting rig? Why is the performance/bar stool area just a massive wall with one small screen in the middle? Why is the desk hanging off the edge of the plinth it's standing on? Why is the set unrealistically tall? Does the set even fit into a studio that the show could realistically occupy?

Finally, I don't think Sky News would be too happy if a rehashed version of their new graphics suddenly appeared on ITV. Come up with an idea of your own for the graphics, for once.

Criticising spelling is just being completely pedantic. I can absolutely guarantee all the graphics are 16:9 safe. Louisa's seat does have a monitor which sits under the glass. The screens can't float, so using poles was the only realistic option. Why shouldn't the soft area just have one screen? Why shouldn't the desk be designed the way it is? I appreciate your feedback, but please try to make more detailed comments that aren't just questions and (mostly) incorrect criticisms.

The graphics inspiration did come from Sky, however, I added my own personal changes to suit the style of the show. Thanks for your feedback.
Last edited by Aaron_2015 on 31 May 2015 11:58am
LJ
LJ-TV
Nice idea, it's pretty much gmb on the weekend. You could possibly create a sofa area or maybe that will make it too much like good morning Britain. The colour of the graphics are a bit too similar to itv news but apart from that a fantastic start. Smile Thumbs up
AA
Aaron_2015
Nice idea, it's pretty much gmb on the weekend. You could possibly create a sofa area or maybe that will make it too much like good morning Britain. The colour of the graphics are a bit too similar to itv news but apart from that a fantastic start. Smile Thumbs up

Thank you very much Smile . All of the headlines/news features use the ITV News colours. I considered a sofa area, but it wouldn't get much use, so I opted to use barstools in the soft area when the desk isn't appropriate. Thanks for your feedback.
AS
ASO
Bilky Asko's comments were not "incorrect" and they were certainly very detailed. I would listen to everything he has written if I were you because everything in that comment was right.

It's incredibly childish that you can listen to the good feedback, even if it is not that detailed, but when you get feedback telling you how to improve, you don't listen!

"I don't mind poor ratings, I just want to know why I've received some." - Well don't get offended by small criticisms that are perfectly justified!
AA
Aaron_2015
Not all of the criticisms are justified though. All the graphics were in 16:9 and there was a monitor under the desk. There are some useful comments, but questioning elements of the design aren't useful. I appreciate all comments made, I've thanked everyone for their feedback. I also listen to every comment. There will be a second version of this in the future, so I want to get the most useful comments possible to take this forward. Thanks for the help ASO, I shall try to listen to the criticisms more.

Newer posts