The Newsroom

Chris Eakin leaves BBC News

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (May 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
This is one of Chris's earliest BBC appearances on BBC Look North NE & Cumbria with Mike Neville in 1991. He's reporting on the widely reported Albert Dryden shooting in Butsfield when the BBC reporter on the scene before Chris, Teddy/Tony Belmont, was shot in the arm.

A warning that Chris's appearance starts at 5:25. Footage earlier in the clip shows the moment the Council Planning Officer is shot and killed and the moment Mr Belmont gets shot in the arm so is therefore quite graphic.

Last edited by RDJ on 29 May 2015 5:47pm - 6 times in total
DB
dbl
Today is Chris Eakin's last day on the news channel, so just before one pm today, this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ebnq_KjHxA

Nicely done by whoever came up with that idea! Laughing

GENIUS! Laughing
WO
Worzel
Really, really sad to hear about Chris' departure from the BBC News channel. I always 'enjoyed' for want of a better word, sitting down in the evenings to catch the 11pm update with him and also the Papers in N6. He certainly came across very well to the audience and could certainly connect with his charm and laid back presenting style.

I suppose with all the cutbacks/hour reductions at the News channel he probably won't be last to leave. Sad

If my mind serves me correct, that only leaves Jane Hill and Maxine Mawhinney as original News 24 presenters still presenting on a regular basis?
GI
ginnyfan
The downfall of news channel is real indeed. Messed up schedule plus great presenters leaving, especially males (Sopel, Matthew and now Eakin). Does Simon have a regular shift after being moved from the mornings?
BK
bkman1990
I going to miss Chris Eakin off the BBC as he was a very newsreader with great authority and professionalism. I would love to see him on TV News Bulletins as he is leaving the BBC for good. Any takers at present with a new job for him at the present time?

Best of luck to him. I hope to see him on our screens again in the near future.
NE
News96
The downfall of news channel is real indeed. Messed up schedule plus great presenters leaving, especially males (Sopel, Matthew and now Eakin). Does Simon have a regular shift after being moved from the mornings?

It's Looking like 2-5 with Jane Hill is now Simon's regular shift which leads onto the question what will happen to Ben Brown and who will be getting 11-2 on Fridays and 4-7 at Weekends (since Martine is now starting an hour earlier according to her twitter.)

The answers to both questions we will probably get in the next few weeks as the new schedule kicks in.
DF
DrewF
I recall Simon McCoy mentioning on Twitter that he didn't know what was happening with his shift after the elections - perhaps there is/was no real plan with the presenting shifts at the moment. At the very least it would be nice to have regular faces as it's pretty much all over the place in the afternoons and evenings at the moment.
DA
davidhorman
RDJ posted:
A warning that the video should start at 5.25 where Chris's appearance starts. Footage earlier in the clip shows the moment Mr Belmont gets shot in the arm so is therefore quite graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwlSihAMKs

Interesting off-topic bit of info from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A fuller version of the footage, including a prior visit and the aftermath of the shooting, now forms part of the BBC's filming safety internal training course.
HB
HarryB
Seems like they could not be focusing on shifts at the moment, presenters all over the place. Weekday Evening shifts don't seem to have a regular presenter and instead having mixtures of different covers including Matthew Price.

This may lead to getting rid of a 'shift pattern' like Al Jazeera has.
MT
MrTellybox
Seems like they could not be focusing on shifts at the moment, presenters all over the place. Weekday Evening shifts don't seem to have a regular presenter and instead having mixtures of different covers including Matthew Price.

This may lead to getting rid of a 'shift pattern' like Al Jazeera has.

I'm sure they're "focusing on shifts". It'd be mighty awkward if they forgot to book a presenter for the Ten, don't you agree?

Wink
DV
dvboy
It's also half term, remember.

I'm sure it's going to be a combination of a change in schedule, change in staffing, and holiday leave that are making things a bit irregular at the moment, but they'll settle down.
DE
deejay
RDJ posted:
A warning that the video should start at 5.25 where Chris's appearance starts. Footage earlier in the clip shows the moment Mr Belmont gets shot in the arm so is therefore quite graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwlSihAMKs

Interesting off-topic bit of info from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A fuller version of the footage, including a prior visit and the aftermath of the shooting, now forms part of the BBC's filming safety internal training course.

That Look North clip is really rather extraordinary. The fact that a deeply wound up member of the public is brandishing a gun should have been enough for the police to clear the area, instead we have a full TV crew, TV reporter and other members of the press all surrounding him recording what was going on

I've done several of those courses and actually not seen that particular clip.

Anyway, back to topic, I shall miss Chris Eakin too, he has a very particular style which I've always found very pleasant to watch.

Newer posts