TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
jonnieh
Its funny how most of TV Channel identities including idents are pretty much done by the same London digital agencies. And it shows, I think they are all quite similar...
MK
Mr Kite
Never seen Crystal ball,

Or Paper Cut Out. Those are the only two BBC Two Northern Ireland haven't revisited, surely?
:-(
A former member
Never seen Crystal ball,

Or Paper Cut Out. Those are the only two BBC Two Northern Ireland haven't revisited, surely?

I doubt either of those will come back since both were dropped in 93.
MK
Mr Kite
Not much further back than 97, when Shadow was dropped.
Last edited by Mr Kite on 17 April 2015 1:19am - 2 times in total
DP
D.Page
Never seen Crystal ball,

There's two more, in addition to Paper Cut Out and Crystal Ball: Water Reflection and the other edit of Car.
DP
D.Page
Never seen Crystal ball,

To be clear, the tail end of 93.

Also worth pointing out that Paper Cut Out, according to wikipedia, was used for 2 yrs 8 mths. Several others, which have been aired, were used for shorter periods than this.
JO
Jonny
Crystal Ball would be an absolute pain to edit to 16:9. And it's not very good (bar the music).

Paper Cut-Out? Who wants to see an inanimate 2-shaped window? That sounds so dull...
DP
D.Page
Jonny posted:

Paper Cut-Out? Who wants to see an inanimate 2-shaped window? That sounds so dull...

You could say that about Glass, but its ethereal quality works very well with serious programming. Paper Cut Out's 2-shaped aperture has slowly-drifting clouds with blue sky (difficult to appreciate with only low-quality YouTube copies to refer to), so I'd say there's at least as much going on, compared with Glass. I love these early 'arty' ones.
MK
Mr Kite
Never seen Crystal ball,

Also worth pointing out that Paper Cut Out, according to wikipedia, was used for 2 yrs 8 mths. Several others, which have been aired, were used for shorter periods than this.

2 years, 8 months means until October 1993. Basically, Wikipedia assumes that both Paper Cut Out and Glass were immediately replaced by Dog, Car etc, which makes sense. However, I'm not so sure Paper Cut Out lasted that long. I have no first hand memory of it, despite being old enough to remember when these idents made their debut. This suggests it didn't stick around for long and was probably not used much anyway. Also, I can't find any videos of it in use on Youtube beyond 1991.

On the other hand, I remember Glass fairly well. It makes me wonder about this supposed "accidental" playout in the North West which supposedly occurred around 1996/7. Was it accidental at all? Just because Network had stopped using it doesn't necessarily mean the regional stations had to, I would have thought. I don't think regional stations, at least in England, got all the additional idents anyway which Glass was presumably taken out of service to make way for. It's quite plausible, to me, that the BBC in Manchester had Glass on their server right up to the 1997 rebrand and used it whenever it suited.

I really do hope Northern Ireland show Paper Cut Out and Crystal Ball, plus Water Reflection and the other edit of Car. Considering how many idents there are from the 1991-2001 period and how far they've gone, they may as well complete the set for a full house. Paper Cut Out would be particularly great as I've never seen it in any decent quality. I think TV Ark may have the best capture of it.
MM
MMcG198

Paper Cut-Out was ditched after a few months or so. Wikipedia is wrong! It's not hard to see why it was dropped so quickly. Someone made comparisons with 'Glass'. Well, there's actually more activity in 'Glass'. The clouds in 'Paper Cut-Out' are quite slow moving; the soundtrack is also rather, erm...irritating.
Last edited by MMcG198 on 17 April 2015 10:45am
:-(
A former member
I hope you changed wiki Wink
MK
Mr Kite
I think most people appreciate why Paper Cut Out is hardly the most classic of BBC Two idents and why it was the first to be withdrawn. It doesn't do a lot and it hasn't aged well compared to many of the others which are of the same vintage. The clouds kind of look like the ones in the opening credits of The Simpsons. It was clearly designed to be similar to the previous look, being a similar beige/white colour and to be used into serious programming. Looking on Youtube, it seems to have also been used without music and generic "This is BBC Two" announcements for things like party political broadcasts; something the likes of Sign or Copper Cut Out couldn't pull off; although Glass could and was also used in this way.

That said, it does have its charm and watching it full and clean gives a dream-like feeling. It's essentially abstract art. It either does something for you or it doesn't much.

Newer posts