The Newsroom

London Live

announce News presenters (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
And Lille is certainly a heck of lot smaller than London. Cool
BA
bilky asko
Do we need to go over this boring argument yet again? The same points keep getting made every time, and it still ends up being the whole of TV Forum's British membership being told that they're wrong by WW Update and Mouseboy.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Oh well...what could have been?!

Almost certainly not a carbon copy of that. As has been repeatedly pointed out to you, there just isn't the demand for that kind of rolling news on a local level in the UK.

But can you know that for sure without trying it? Before Sky News launched, there were people who argued that there isn't the demand for any sort of rolling news in the UK, yet now many viewers appreciate both Sky News and the BBC News Channel.

I'm not too sure about "many"

The most watched show on the NC w/e Apr 5th was the 0800 hour of BBC Breakfast on Sunday with 526k. I don't have access for any public data for Sky News.
WW
WW Update
Do we need to go over this boring argument yet again? The same points keep getting made every time, and it still ends up being the whole of TV Forum's British membership being told that they're wrong by WW Update and Mouseboy.

But then again, some members can be insular and awfully reluctant to learn from the experiences of other countries.
WW
WW Update

The most watched show on the NC w/e Apr 5th was the 0800 hour of BBC Breakfast on Sunday with 526k. I don't have access for any public data for Sky News.

The point of rolling news is not that it gets large audiences at any given time, but that people can tune in when it's convenient to them. In other words, the total weekly reach of Sky News or the BBC News Channel is a more significant statistic than the rating of the most-watched show.
LL

The point of rolling news is not that it gets large audiences at any given time, but that people can tune in when it's convenient to them. In other words, the total weekly reach of Sky News or the BBC News Channel is a more significant statistic than the rating of the most-watched show.

Let's put that into some perspective. The two main UK news channels are subsidised either by the licence fee or Sky subscriptions. They'd never be revenue earning in the same way London Live should be.

London Live as a general entertainment local channel is losing money where news should complement the output in the same way it does on ITV or BBC One within the agreed hours of news agreed with Ofcom.
SuperDave, Square Eyes and bilky asko gave kudos
WW
WW Update

Let's put that into some perspective. The two main UK news channels are subsidised either by the licence fee or Sky subscriptions. They'd never be revenue earning in the same way London Live should be.

London Live as a general entertainment local channel is losing money where news should complement the output in the same way it does on ITV or BBC One within the agreed hours of news agreed with Ofcom.

Perhaps the decision to create "general entertainment" local channels was a mistake from the start, since local upstarts can't really compete with the likes of the BBC and ITV in the field of entertainment. Entertainment is not really a local format, but the news can be. It's possible that low-budget, news-driven channels on the model of GrandLilleTV, Hamburg 1, and tv.berlin (all of them commercial ventures), would have been more successful.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There is a rolling news radio station for London. Its audience figures are hardly setting the world on fire:

https://media.info/radio/stations/lbc-news-1152/listening-figures
Square Eyes, London Lite and bilky asko gave kudos
BA
bilky asko
The only people on this forum advocating a US-style local news system are from outside the UK. Is it a matter of "the customer is always wrong"?
LL
There is a rolling news radio station for London. Its audience figures are hardly setting the world on fire:

https://media.info/radio/stations/lbc-news-1152/listening-figures

And that radio station isn't even full time, it simulcasts the main newstalk LBC radio station between 1900-0700.
WW
WW Update
The only people on this forum advocating a US-style local news system are from outside the UK. Is it a matter of "the customer is always wrong"?

Why does it have to be "U.S.-style local news"? Mouseboy mentioned a station in Canada, and I gave three European examples. In fact, you were the first to bring up the U.S. today.

(And maybe it's not a coincidence that those making international comparisons are the members who have more experience with TV in different countries.)
SP
Steve in Pudsey
When even the BBC struggle to fill half an hour of news each day in the regions, topping up the news with fluffy magazine stuff, you get an idea of the kind of newsgathering resources that would have to be thrown at a rolling news service for an area smaller than a BBC region.

I just can't see how that could bring in the advertising revenue necessary for the size of team that would be needed. Don't forget that advertising and sponsorship of news is heavily restricted in the UK so fewer opportunities for that revenue stream.
London Lite, Square Eyes and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts