The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
The Germans do love those 'getting ready' shots before their shows start. On single headed bulletins where they are just looking down or shuffling scripts it kind of works, but the top of GMD just looks contrived beyond belief with the three of them stood in semi-darkness. (Didn't a lights-up opening get retired as a cliche a decade or two ago? Why would the lights be dimmed before the show started?)
EL
elmarko
I quite like it when you get set up shots that show the studio gear and cameras etc to "set the scene"

This is sport, not news, but Hockey Night in Canada use this extensively, and I think a lot of American sports shows do this too.

I wanted to find some examples but this was all I could find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx875DvZJlc

Sometimes they will start a game by zooming in on the particular commentary box that the team are in before mixing to the shot of them in the box, or they'll use one of the high wide-shot cameras that are in the arena to zoom in on a reporter by or on the ice and then again mix through to the close up shot.

It's pretty nifty for nerds like us Smile
MO
Mouseboy33
Eeeek! Vertical Blinds! Wow talk about a blast from the past. Very 80s. That set is um special. Somehow it looked better under blue lighting. Because the greyish,yellowy,browny colour isnt working. Coupled with the vertical blinds...wow.
KM
Kevizz MS
Very interesting that they've moved off the virtual set for the Morning slot - including the news updates.

I'm assuming the blinds are just a temporary element while it's dark outside, they look fine. Lighting however is very poor, dark and washed out.
WW
WW Update
BTW, this is what Guten Morgen Deutschland looked like 21 years ago (note that the male host was the same as in the clip above, albeit with more hair back then):

And for those of who who missed it, here's the virtual look used until a few weeks ago:

MO
Mouseboy33
Very interesting that they've moved off the virtual set for the Morning slot - including the news updates.

I'm assuming the blinds are just a temporary element while it's dark outside, they look fine. Lighting however is very poor, dark and washed out.

Those blinds look cheap and nasty. There are far better solutions than some cheapo vertical blinds for a national channel, even if they are used just whilst it dark outside.
For example a lighted, branded scrim stretched over the windows and expertly lit completely renders dark windows irrelevant.
CBS Early Show's former set used them. Notice the Early Show logo and colour swirls and the strategic lighting helped the "black squares" problem on most sets with windows. THough these photo are from daytime segments. When it was dark the logo and subtle colour became more pronounced. But seeing as RTL cant get the regular studio lighting right they might have hard time doing this. IMO its probably because they do so much virtual studio lighting. Totally different beast. Ehhh.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/45th+Annual+Academy+Country+Music+Awards+Nominations+uJdMp4drG3Hl.jpg
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/100301/GAL-10Mar01-3894/media/PHO-10Mar01-208726.jpg
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 19 February 2015 5:27am - 2 times in total
WW
WW Update
Here's a behind-the-scenes look at RTL's virtual news set (with English subtitles):

WW
WW Update
A few interesting videos from Hazim at tvnewstalk.net...

Behind the scenes of TVRI as seen on NET, Indonesia, 2014:

TVNZ's TV One, New Zealand; late news, 2003:

TNZ's TV2, New Zealand; news in English and Maori, 1988:

MO
Mouseboy33
WSVN 7 Miami just tweeted this ridiculously over the top promo for a big mysterious innovation. I would imagine they are launching the NewsPlex. I literally LOL'd. Check this out.. EEK...so WSVN.
GM
Gary McEwan
Where do RTL Nieuws have their London base? I noticed on this evenings broadcast that Vanessa Lamsvelt who is the Great Britain correspondent for RTL was doing a live report from London on the identification of 'JIhadi John.' Anyone know if they would be based within ITN or elsewhere?
GL
globaltraffic24
Where do RTL Nieuws have their London base? I noticed on this evenings broadcast that Vanessa Lamsvelt who is the Great Britain correspondent for RTL was doing a live report from London on the identification of 'JIhadi John.' Anyone know if they would be based within ITN or elsewhere?

I watched the report and the backdrop was just a still of Westminster. It didn't strike me as ITN. There is a possibility it could be Millbank but the more likely possibility is that it's a small studio at Fremantle Medias offices in central London. RTL is the parent company so the natural move would be basing reporters there. (Remember they will have UK correspondents for RTL Hungary, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, etc)
WW
WW Update
MDR, Germany; afternoon newsmagazine, 2015:

Newer posts