The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MB
Media Boy
At lunchtime, I understand they routed via Milbank to get the signal back to ITV at Chiswick after the main circuits failed.
dbl, London Lite and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm surprised they don't have a reserve circuit ready to go from somewhere like ITN. Or did they find the single point of failure?
NG
noggin Founding member
You would expect redundant main and reserve circuits routed via different geographical routes to be used for ITN contributions to ITV surely?

You would also expect them to be routed via independent routers (or at least salt and peppered input/output cards) to minimise single points of failure. I'm sure someone can find a SPOF if they look hard enough though...

(In most BBC studio operations the sound desk is still a SPOF - backup mini-sound desks are no longer being installed AIUI - though modern sound desks have a high degree of redundancy engineered in I suppose. Vision mixers are usually backed up by an emergency cut, there is usually a TX path that can bypass a router, and lighting usually have backup stores to allow a known good DMX salvo to be sent to all lamps to set up a basic plot)
EL
elmarko
Salt and peppered?
MA
Macalolo
No titles on London now, just music and the close-up shot of Kylie Pentelow.
MA
Markymark
Salt and peppered?

A station router will typically have several hundred inputs and outputs. You can route
any single input, to any single, or multiple collection of destinations.

Typically the router will be made up from a series of 16, 24, or 32 input and output cards

For instance a 512 x 512 router might have Qty 16 32-input cards, and 16 output cards.

If a card should fail, you lose (in this example) a bunch of 32 inputs or outputs. So, you spread important sources and destinations across several cards.

It doesn't give 100% resilience, unless you also have redundant crosspoint and CPU cards (Crosspoint cards do the actual routing, and the CPU is the router's brain)

Further reading

http://www.snellgroup.com/products/routing/routing-overview/overview

(Other router manufacturers are also available)
Telly Media and elmarko gave kudos
EL
elmarko
That's awesome, thanks for the good explanation and link

12 days later

DF
DrewF
ITV News very very quick to pick up on the news that Madonna fell on stage at the Brits. 5 minutes after it happened!
VM
VMPhil
DrewF posted:
ITV News very very quick to pick up on the news that Madonna fell on stage at the Brits. 5 minutes after it happened!

I know, right up to the wire on that one!
MA
Macalolo
Problem with the green screen on ITV News, London loses it background, national static opening shot and into break using sting.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Problem with the green screen on ITV News, London loses it background, national static opening shot and into break using sting.

I wondered what happened during the London bulletin. *
BR
Brekkie
Dark outside isn't it.

Newer posts