The Newsroom

Election 2015 - BBC Regions News changes - 15 min post NAT

January - May 2015 (December 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DT
DTV
I take it that the hexagon ballot box is the official BBC Election 2015 graphic style given its use across the Nationals and NC today. Hope they use it well as I've always been a fan of the pins look and thought that the pulsing circles fitted in quite well with the pulsing globe of the BBC News brand.

Also see they've reverted to Election 2015 given that it was Vote2011, Vote2012 etc.
RD
RDJ
DTV posted:
I take it that the hexagon ballot box is the official BBC Election 2015 graphic style given its use across the Nationals and NC today. Hope they use it well as I've always been a fan of the pins look and thought that the pulsing circles fitted in quite well with the pulsing globe of the BBC News brand.

Also see they've reverted to Election 2015 given that it was Vote2011, Vote2012 etc.

Was used on various Regionals today as well so I think it is safe to say that it is the official graphic.

Hopefully that coincides with a new signature tune, especially on Election night. Would be nice to see one last return to Arthur given that it shall be Grandfather Dimble's last sleepover.
MA
Markymark
If a region is having a particularly busy news day, perhaps a developing story happening on their patch, is there anything to stop them staying on air at lunchtime to the same duration as the Nations?

It would seem to be a common sense thing to do, but I don't think the BBC corporate thought police in W1 would allow such a thing in an English region ?
IS
Inspector Sands
If a region is having a particularly busy news day, perhaps a developing story happening on their patch, is there anything to stop them staying on air at lunchtime to the same duration as the Nations?

It would seem to be a common sense thing to do, but I don't think the BBC corporate thought police in W1 would allow such a thing in an English region ?

If there's a handy opt-out point at half past, there's nothing really to stop them. It could well be that scenario is something that has been pre-agreed so it can be done if need be
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Ah yeah, I forgot it was the other way round, the nations start earlier. So if they did opt out earlier I guess anybody turning on specifically for that local news would miss it.
BR
Brekkie
DTV posted:
I take it that the hexagon ballot box is the official BBC Election 2015 graphic style given its use across the Nationals and NC today.

The way the debate fiasco is going they'll be having to upgrade to a dodecahedron.
JT
jolly turnip
It felt like there were less news stories on the Late Look Levy (east yorks and Lincs) than the old shorter bulletin. An unnecessary live with Tim Iredale and viewers views tweeted from the earlier programme. Pretty much as expected though.
IS
Inspector Sands
Is this ultimately a money saving exercise? Extending the late bulletin just means repeating a couple of packages from the 6.30 so costs peanuts, whereas the lunchtime is more likely to have fresh content, so reducing that saves a bit of work which could be translated to needing fewer staff working in the morning?

In terms of packaging possibly but in terms of putting together and broadcasting the bulletins it means fewer staff in the morning, but more in the evening.

I'd imagine that the working hours of those in the regions have been changed, so that the output team start later and finish at 11pm. The lunchtime bulletin presumably now output in the same way as the Breakfast and 10:30 have traditionally been - with minimal staffing, basic running orders and automation in the gallery.

I imagine it's not a popular move amongst the staff who now have to work evenings. Also I wonder how much it's increasing the BBC's taxi bill.... when I worked there if you were on shift after 10:30 you were entitled to transport home
BR
Brekkie
It's a wonder the NUJ haven't had anything to say about it. I guess once the election is over the BBC will quietly reduce the later bulletin and not bother extending the lunchtime bulletin.
DE
deejay
Bectu and the NUJ have had quite a lot of say about it and the issue of the increased number of late shifts was the main point raised. It more of an issue in sub opt regions where there aren't any (or certainly fewer) early or day shifts to make up for it.
RI
Rijowhi
While I welcome the longer late Evening Regional News service from the BBC (and hope Brekkie is wrong about cutting them back after the General Election), I wonder if this is the start of the end for Breakfast/Daytime Regional News services from the BBC. Will we see more of a push towards promoting their Local Radio stations through the day to partly justify their existence*? At present this new set up doesn't appear to be making any savings (see Inspector Sands quote about the Taxi bill for example) but will it produce savings in the future? I wonder if the BBC would think about doing an ITV and record their late bulletin earlier in the future? As others have suggested before (if this sort of set up was taken by the BBC) would ITV follow to concentrate on producing a better Evening Regional News service? ITV could even merge their Political programming (as a 15 minute weekly segment) into the late Regional News if it was a longer (as I suggested for the 6pm programme, but probably slightly more likely...)

* If it's about D elivering Q uality F irst and cuts have to be made then surely it's best to concentrate on TV Regional News services in the Evening when more people are watching, while promoting the Local Radio stations for local daytime coverage.
IL
i-lied
Is this a permanent change?

Newer posts